MFP-isms

Options
What are the things that people say all the time in the forums here that drive you nuts? I call them MFP-isms. They are passed from one generation to the next here.

My least favorite is "I'm not on a diet," or "This is not a diet, it's a lifestyle." Guess what folks? You're on a diet. Do you intend to maintain a 500, 750, or even 1000 calorie deficit for the rest of your life? No way! You are eating less calories than you burn because you want to lose weight. That is not your forever lifestyle, you are on a diet.

Another one is the camp of people whose posts are, 9 times out of 10, about how they eat 5 billion calories a day and still lose weight, and half of those are chocolate and ice cream and pie and cheesecake. It's a predictable bunch.

So, what MFP-isms grate your nerves a bit?

Replies

• cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    "Lift heavy." Answer given no matter what the question is.
  • stevepax
    stevepax Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    "Lift heavy." Answer given no matter what the question is.

Yes! Even though the advice may be good advice, you can still always predict when it's coming.
  • rshcraig
    rshcraig Posts: 53
    Options
    I don't think this is what your talking about, but I figure its a good place to ask... what is NSV? I figure its something really good coming from the posts I've seen, but I cant work out what it means. Thanks :)
  • stevepax
    stevepax Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is what your talking about, but I figure its a good place to ask... what is NSV? I figure its something really good coming from the posts I've seen, but I cant work out what it means. Thanks :)

It's a Non-Scale Victory. So, something good that comes from having lost weight that isn't just the fact that the scale is showing a lower number. Smaller clothes, for example. Or being able to run a mile, or whatever.

and yes, NSV is absolutely an MFP-ism!