Any New or Nursing Mommies out there?

Options
Hi there.... just looking for some new moms and/or nursing moms to talk to. Everyone needs support and being moms gives us all something in common. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• mocosa74
    mocosa74 Posts: 42
    Options
    Feel free to add me, baby now 9 months and can use all the help i can get! :smile:
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    Congratulations on your new baby! :flowerforyou:

I am currently breastfeeding my 6 month old and I just joined MFP in late April. When I started, I didn't know how to log breastfeeding so I wanted to share my knowledge incase you need it. Before I reached my goal, I went into my exercise folder, put in 141 minutes of breastfeeding (burning 400 cals) in the cardio section. It then gave me those extra 400 cals for my food log. Or, you can also log your BF cals by going into your food log directly. To do that, you just enter "Breastfeeding" in the food search and it'll pop up. You then select the ounces (if I'm remembering correctly) and once you hit enter, it'll show up as a calorie deficit on your food log. I prefer to log mine in the exercise log, though. Either one will work.

If you're breastfeeding, you burn anywhere from 300 to 600 calories a day (which you probably know already). Every ounce of breastmilk you make/expel burns 20 calories so if you know how much you're producing, you'll know how many cals to add to your diet. Everyone is different so this is just a rough estimate. If I feel hungry, I'll eat more as long as it's a smart choice. I was doing great on around 1600 cals per day & I'm 5' 4.5" and currently 116 lbs. Everyone is different but this should give you some idea. You will probably want to try something like this and see if it works for you. The most important thing is to keep that milk flowing for your little one.

You'll find this site is TONS of FUN and people give you amazing support! Seriously, it's absolute MAGIC as long as you are honest with yourself, log everything and stay in the correct calorie zone that works for you. Again, you'll probably have to play around to see what works best. Don't get too frustrated if you don't lose every week because there were times with me that I would lose every other week but the weightloss was significant enough to cover both weeks. Be careful to eat enough cals otherwise you'll screw up your metab and stop losing. Please read the following links/threads which have invaluable info. I wish I had read these sooner!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/55796-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

I hope this helps, Mama! Congrats again! Enjoy that little one!! :heart:

WOW...Just realized I responded to your other post as well! Sorry for the overlapping...:blushing:
  • RachelH25
    RachelH25 Posts: 108
    Options
    I've been a mom now for eight weeks and am nursing my son. I hear ya on the support thing. Everyone told me that the weight would just drop off since I'm breastfeeding but sadly no. I've lost some weight but had to cut back too far on my cal intake to do so. Now I'm running low on milk. Today I'm adding in the 500 hundred extra cals again and we'll see what happens! Good luck to you and if you need to chit chat or haveing a discouraging day send me a message!
  • bk2011
    bk2011 Posts: 268
    Options
    So glad to see this post! My son is 11 months old and we are a nursing team! I just joined 2 days ago and had no idea how to put in that I am breastfeeding to allow for those calories. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to chat!
  • TristaVan
    TristaVan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I am glad to find you on here. I have a 3 month old and lost 25lbs in the 1st 2 weeks thought it would be easy to lose the rest and instead I have gained 8lbs. I am one of the women who doesn't lose weight breastfeeding so any advice would be appreciated.
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    im a new mommy of a almost 4 month old daughter. i could use some help too...feel free to add me