I may have my bariatric sirurgy by the end of
July or begining of august. Need to be ready, and
would like to heard from people who had pass
for the same situation. Warnings, coments, what
To do and not. Thank you.

Replies

• Lori_Noona
    Options
    I had lap band in August. It has been the best decision I have made. However, it's not a miracle cure, it's a tool. My only regret is not doing it sooner!
  • floraguilar
    Options
    Thank you for sharing, this motives me, question how many pounds had you lost since then?
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    Good luck..
  • ProudMotherof4ProudWife2007
    Options
    my husband had the gastric bypass almost two yrs ago and is down 177 lbs and doing great. when he was on liquids and got sick of the same thing he started getting icies
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    maybe I'm the only one who has had friends with complications but it sounds like a scary Idea to me personally.
    I would be concerend about becoming malnourished for the rest of my life.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'd give MFP a go and see how you get on. Surgery isn't the easy option and I reckon if you have success here then you can do it on your own.

If you go ahead with the surgery- good luck in your journey
  • kajohnson70
    kajohnson70 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My husband had a gastric sleevectomy in August 2012. So far he has lost 113 pounds and looks and feels great. The surgery is not without risk(s), but he will be the first to tell you that he is so happy he did it. He recognizes that the surgery is a tool and that he still has to maintain a healthy lifestyle. The most important thing is to follow your doctor's instructions both pre and post surgery. Best of luck to you!
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I've know several folks who have had it. Those who treated it as a cure-all immediately gained the weight back. Those who changed their diet and began exercising have kept it off.

I have heard some people cry "Why get the surgery if you are going to have to change your diet and lifestyle anyway?!" They miss the point that it is only one more tool in the arsenal to a healthy life.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    IMO I would give better eating and being more active a try. My father had it, ha it knew of all the risks, followed everything by the book and still died from complications. Do more research before getting it done.
  • spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My aunt had it done several years ago in her thirties, and almost died from the complications. She still struggles with health problems to this day due to the complications. and she gained the weight back. My mom lost twice as much weight from exercise and eating right.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You know, many people who are at a normal weight and even those overweight can be malnourished because they don't eat a healthy diet. You need to know more about bariatric surgery before making that comment.. People are closely monitored and they do get adequate nutrition and become healthy.

If everyone could eat right and exercise their way to a normal weight and health, why is there so much obesity in this country. There can be complications from any surgery. Don't you think that the possibility of heart attack or stroke are enough to take advantage of the tool of surgery?

There can be complications from childbirth so should no more children be born?

And by the way, I haven't had surgery but I know several people who have and they have done well.
  • GrendlStig
    GrendlStig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Good luck and best wishes on your surgery. I hope this is a starting point for a healthier life for you. Having worked as a nurse in Endoscopy for a few years, I saw bariatric patients pre-surgery for their required upper endoscopy exams. I also saw way too many of those same patients again after surgery (within 12-24 months) who had gained back all/ more weight than they had lost. Poor outcomes were mostly due to unhealthy eating/lifestyle habits that had never changed for the better - diets high in high calorie/low nutrient foods (sweets, bread, sodas, fast food, processed foods) - drinking alcohol and not exercising. I have two close friends who have been successful with lap-band and gastric bypass (Roux-en-Y), in part due to a commitment to better eating, hard work & exercise. I also have a dear family friend of 35 years who has failed multiple weight loss surgeries (gastric stapling, lap band and bypass) for the reasons for failure I mentioned above. It's a huge commitment, but I know that if you want it badly enough you will make it happen!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Why don't you give MFP a go for a few months before undergoing a major surgery?
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You know, many people who are at a normal weight and even those overweight can be malnourished because they don't eat a healthy diet.

This is true. In some cases of Bari surgery they also remove much of the small intestine which absorbs a vast majority of the nutrients we eat. So not only is the stomach so small it cant intake the needed amounts of fresh food to maintain adequate nutrient levels, then in the case that the majority of the small instestine is removed, then only a part of the nutrition we get in us will be absorbed.

I just couldn't do it for myself. I understand that other people want to do it. Its just frightening to me.
  • jleecole77
    jleecole77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just had sleeve gastrectomy on July 18th. So far so good. I can say that they made me go on a 2 week liquid diet, and I did almost perfect. I knew that my success on the liquid diet would make my surgery safer, and that was my motivation. If I had just gone on a liquid diet to lose weight, I can almost guarantee you that I would have found reasons to cheat with a day or two. I don't know why I couldn't have just buckled down and done it, but some people can't.

I agree with QuilterinVA. From what I understand, VSG is no more complicated than a gall bladder removal. Would you live with a problem gall bladder for the rest of your life to avoid surgery? I can say from experience that VSG was less painful for me than the two c-sections I had - just don't have a cute baby to show for it (but you can sleep all night while recovering too!)

Sleeve gastrectomy does not bypass any of the small intestine and so there is not as many malabsorption issues as with the roux-en-y.

There is a lot of truth to the comment that the US is overfed and undernourished. The intent of weight loss surgery is for one to be forced to make healthy choices and by the time you make those choices you have no room in your belly for the bad stuff. Of course if you don't follow the 'rules' then you will fail.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    my friend had one about 10 years ago and i know that she does not regret the decision. It helped her lose 160 lbs. she had been struggling for years and this is the one thing that finally worked for her. her goal was 180 lbs and she got down to 160 lbs but then she got pregnant. So her lowest weight was 20 lbs away from her goal weight. she then had 2 other kids all within a year of each other. her 3 kids are healthy & happy. I believe that she may have put on some more weight after the pregnancies but she has managed to keep the majority of it off (i'm not sure her exact weight now, she moved across the country but i've seen recent pics of her and she looks fabulous.)

good luck to you!
  • all82581
    all82581 Posts: 3
    Options
    I too just had sleeve surgery. Since I started the liquid diet and had surgery I've lost 35 pounds. I had sleeve on July 8th. I am very happy. It is a tool, but I feel the strongest tool out there. After years of ups and downs, I finally decided I was worth it. I was scared, but I'm not scared anymore. I wish you luck with your choice. If you'd like to hear more about it just ask. : )
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    Options
    Hi Floraguilar,

I lost 40 pounds before the surgery - they put me on a low carb diet which I had great success with in the past. But I always gained back 20# more than I lost and it was so hard to stay on the wagon. If I'd known about protein shakes then, it might have made a difference. That would have really helped stay on plan, plus the extra protein (1) gives me energy, (2) fills me up & (3) keeps me from malnutrition complications like losing hair.

Also, the bariatric program has taught me about vitamins, I only take 2 extra: Citracal (my nails are strong for the first time in 40yrs), and B12. I don't take iron cuz of my age). I wish I'd known about this years ago too.

Please note, the sleeve does not bypass the small intestine - I am not malnourished - quite the opposite - andI don't need to take any vitamins that I didn't need prior to surgery (if I'd only known).

I was sleeved on 06/10/13 and I've lost 25 more pounds since then. It is slipping off a little each week. The surgery is a tool that makes it easy to lose the extra 180 pounds I'd gained. After I lose the weight it will be as if I'd never had it. I will switch to a high-protein low-carb 1200Cal/day eating plan; with protein shakes and vitamins helping me stay satisfied and nourished.

I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have complications. And my surgery was difficult, because I'm a heart patient. Research your choice of doctors. Mine was excellent. Also the sleeve is less invasive than bypass - maybe that helped.

I was very fortunate...

Whatever you choose, best wishes. Nice being your friend. Comment on your home page if/when you decide, okay? (I like your new picture.)