I NEED to do this.

Options
I have tried and failed many times in the years to lose weight. In June of this year I reached my highest weight of at least 255. I have been logging my food and exercise everyday since July 8th. I am now down to 241 and am proud to say that this is the longest I have ever stuck with a diet.

I have my bad days when I feel that I am never going to reach my goal weight and I feel like quitting. But I can't even let myself think that way. I am going to do this no matter how long it takes and how difficult it may get at times. I need to do this for not just my physical health but my mental health as well.

I want to know how it feels to look in the mirror and not feel sad. I want to be able to go shopping without having a difficult time finding clothes large enough to fit. I want to feel happy and good about myself. I no longer want to worry about leaving the house because I feel so awful about the way I look.

You with me?

P.S. always looking for more friends!! =D

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Good for you on deciding "to do this" MFP is great, the people here are great, the program is easy to follow and the support is amazing. I've lost 76 lbs so far.....but I still have 90+ to go.....SO I'M WITH YOU!!!

Good luck on your journey!!
  • rebchandler
    Options
    Hi! I feel your pain! I had got up to 250 lbs. last year and probably even higher...but I was so disgusted I had stopped weighing myself. Weight loss felt hopeless!! But, once my husband & I started dieting together last summer...I found it wasn't so bad! Slowly but surely the weight fell off...2 pounds one week...sometimes 3...sometimes 1...but I just kept thinking "as long as I weigh less this week than last...than I have accomplished something!" I did get down to 200...but oops...gained some back this year and am trying to lose again! Ugh! It's always a struggle...but you sound like you are off to a great start...do not give up! You can absolutely do this...I'm on this journey with you! :wink:
  • bsplawn
    bsplawn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Yes!! I am so with you. Its a ruff day when all i want is a new red shirt shirt for a special day & either cant find one that fits well, or doesnt look like a tabblecloth.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Hey, D!

Great post! You are off to a terrific start! I have no doubt that you'll stick with it. Try to think of it as a lifestyle change, not a diet. Something you're going to do for the rest of your life. There will be moments that test your willpower, but you're stronger than that, and you WILL prevail. Of course, there may be times when you screw up, but when you do, you'll pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and press on, vowing to be even stronger next time.

As the weight comes off and the exercise kicks in, you'll start to feel yourself energized and confident. Think of how great that feels when you're tempted to fall off the wagon. Just think - at the rate you're going, this time next year you'll be at or near your goal and rocking a bikini at the beach with your jealous friends!

Good luck to ya!

Lisa
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it! Don't ever give up even if you slip up for a meal, a day, or even a week...
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    We are all in this together! You can do it and seem to want it enough to make it work!

Lots of luck and motivation :flowerforyou:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Good post! You CAN do it! We will all have good days and bad days, but as long as we keep our goals in mind and stay on track (or keep our detours brief :laugh: ), we will slowly but surely become much healthier individuals. :smile:
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I hear you-- especially about the feeling good about yourself to want to go out of the house! It makes a huge difference in your attitude and how you interact with the whole world when you reach the point of liking the person you see in the mirror.
  • DanitaM
    DanitaM Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their replies! =D
    Your encouragement means so much to me!
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Hey, Marie! Welcome to MFP! I'm glad you're here. I love this site and I think you will too. :) This is a very helpful place and it can really help motivate and encourage anyone looking to drop some pounds.

Ok, now you're going to probably hate me because I'm about to unleash some tough love. lol
    First you don't NEED to do this. The truth is that you can go on for the rest of your life living unhealthy, gaining weight, and feeling bad, angry, and disappointed with yourself. We need to breath, we need food and water to live, but we don't actually need to lose weight. Many times in my life I have said "I need to lose weight. I need to lose weight." But didn't actually do what it takes to achieve what I wanted. The truth is you WANT to lose weight and NOW you're taking active steps to get you there! You can stay on your current path and wake up 5 years from now 100 lbs heavier, or you can take daily active steps to ensure not only does that not happen but that you lose a lot of the weight that you've gained in the past. You're here, so obviously that means you really want to lose the weight and are tired of just saying that you "need" to. :) Yay! Being on this site can help, without a doubt! But what you do with it is all up to you. :)

Second - stop looking at this like a diet. Getting healthy is a lifestyle change. You have to realize you're going to need to change your life and do it for the Rest of Your Life. Because the reality of diets are that once you "get off" them, you gain the weight back.

Find something that works for you that you're going to be able to do for the rest of your life. Relearning proper portion sizes, learning to over come triggers that may lead you to eat even when you're not actually physically hungry, being more physically active, and cutting way back on junk food is what can make this a lasting and life-long change.

You can do this! We're here to help.

Whew, I guess that wasn't so bad. lol :)

*hugs*
    ~Stacy
  • AuntMimi2010
    Options
    "I want to know how it feels to look in the mirror and not feel sad. I want to be able to go shopping without having a difficult time finding clothes large enough to fit. I want to feel happy and good about myself. I no longer want to worry about leaving the house because I feel so awful about the way I look.

You with me?

P.S. always looking for more friends!! =D "

I'm totally with you. I HATE looking at myself in the mirror. I HATE shopping for clothes that are bigger in size every year. This site is really wonderful. You can add friends and search for answers to all of your questions as well as find healthy recipes. I have found it very helpful to have friends on here with the same goals that I have. I am three weeks in and have lost a little weight. i need to lose about 50 lbs. I know that this is a life journey for me and is not going to happen overnight. When I get down or lose the willpower and drive to push on I just get on here and see that my "friends" are going through the same things. We encourage people on the best and worst days and it is SO helpful to me. Do NOT give up. Get on here everyday if you can...log your food and exercise and really listen to the comments from your friends. It has made a world of difference for me. Feel free to add me as a friend and do not give up! You can do this!
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    Been there, done that! I am SO with you. Glad you took that first step. :flowerforyou:
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I feel like I can totally relate to everything you said. Thanks for the post, it makes me feel like I'm not alone.