Personal trainer?

Options
What do you think? Pros and cons of having a personal trainer??

Replies

• SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I think they are terrific for tweaking workout plans.

I see a PT once a month. At the start of the year, she wrote a weight training programme for me and discussed my goals for this year. The second month, she wrote a new programme with different exercises so that I wasn't getting bored with my routine. Third month, I told her what I wanted to do, and we went over it together to check my form.

She's been terrific, and checks in on me every week via SMS, and always makes time to see me if she is at the gym when I am there, she'll come and find me to see how I'm going. She is a really nice person and we always have a laugh when we do our training sessions, it's so much fun! I absolutely recommend getting a PT who understands your goals and is "on the same page".
  • Anasye
    Anasye Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I see a PT twice a week in addition to exercising on my own. I am seeing better results and I realize that I was not pushing myself as hard as I possibly could. The cost is the only downside I see, It can be expensive but if you want to get a small plan and just pick up form and exercises to do on your own later that could be a good option. After this set of lessons I am just going to apply what I have learned from her to my gym routine on my own and stop the sessions. The trainer can also set up a meal plan and exercise routine for you if you are interested.
  • christiandjoel
    christiandjoel Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! :) Just make sure trainer is certified & has a nutritional background. Random dude working at gym is NOT a good trainer option
  • badgergrrl
    badgergrrl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Pros: You are more likely to go and follow through with weight training/exercising (obviously depends on your personality, but it's easier to just blow off working out if you're dependent on doing it on your own versus having a set appointment with a person)

Cons: Spendy; urge to commit homicide during burpee number bazillion....
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I love my trainer. I'm forced to go to the gym at least twice a week. He sets up a good routine, teaches me new stuff and makes me work 10 times harder than I would on my own. On the alternate days I go to the gym I can look back at the routines he did and repeat what he set up.

Cons: Expensive - I'd go to the trainer twice as much if I could afford it. Also sometimes getting a trainer to fit my schedule can be tough since we can only go at night.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This is my opinion from my own personal experience
    and based on the fact you find at trainer that fits your personality
    (some folks need a more aggressive trainer[think Jillian Michaels] while others
    fare better with a more someone who is still motivating, but not so "mean".)

I worked out in the gym for almost a year on my own and saw little difference from my efforts,
    so I decided to seek the help of a trainer at my gym. He was very kind and did help me some,
    but I juggled the same 5 lbs up and down after working out with him for months. He ended up leaving
    my gym and I started working out with his "replacement". (I had already committed myself to working
    out every weekday over my lunch hour.)

This 2nd personal trainer changed my life! :bigsmile:

With his help, I lost 25lbs working with him over 6 months. Not only did he instruct and educate me
    in regards to exercises and gym equipment, he went over meal plans and actually took the time to review
    my food journal regularly. He took a sincere interest in my success!

It has been 3 years since I lost the weight and I continue to go to the gym 5 days a week, working out with Ray once
    a week, in addition to taking his TRX class every Friday.

I wish you all the best in finding your perfect fit and success in reaching your goals!
  • KelsThompski
    Options
    I am a personal trainer and my bf owns gyms and a meals company. I still have a trainer to push me to new limits i didnt think i coudl! But it truly is about the trainer. There are so many good ones and so many bad ones. Look for someon who is willing to put in the extra effort, actually went to school for it. Not all certified trainers know whatthey are doing. You can take an online test and get a certification. Looking into what specific certifications they have. you also have to hold yourself accountible! It really is about nutrition also, if your trainer isnt spending time going over what your eating, what not to eat how to tweak things... DO NOT STICK WITH THEM! That is thier job and what you pay for!