How much is not enough?

Options
13»

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I want to cut out more because I feel that I eat too much.

If you eat 1200 calories, and feel like you eat to much, you may want to revaluate your relationship with food...
  • runnergirl787
    runnergirl787 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about this post. You're asking advice about dropping your calories to a dangerously low number, in which everyone has responded that it's not a good idea. However, you're rejecting and arguing against everyone's advice. It seems you're going to do what you feel is best. Perhaps you shouldn't post asking for advice until you're ready to actually take it.

Good luck to you.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I went that route once, because I didn't think I could lose any other way.

You know what happened? I lost a crapton of lean mass, which meant when I got to my goal weight, I was flabby and miserable.

THIS time around, doing things right, I ate about 1800-2000+ calories a day, and lost mainly body fat while keeping my lean mass.

Here's what a difference that makes. First photo is me at 130 pounds when I ate under 1000 calories a day. Second is eating about 2000 calories a day. Same weight.

five-years-later.jpg

The jeans in the back were the size 8 jeans I was soooo thrilled to be able to squeeze into at 130 pounds in 2007. This time around at 130 pounds, I wear a size 2 or 4. (The jeans in the photo are size 5, though.) I'm about 2 inches smaller all over.

IMG_3265.jpg

Quoted because this chick is awesome and she is proof that you don't have to eat so little to lose and look fan-*kitten*-tastic!
  • RoboGal12
    RoboGal12 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    From the Guidelines:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.
    I am not promoting anything!
    I asked a very simple question.
    I don't need to hear this.

You "don't need to hear this?" You came to this forum as an apparent newbie (looks like you started MFP in June) and asked a question. A little humility might help you process the advice you've been given several times already.
  • BoxerLover96
    BoxerLover96 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 1200 and burning 300...you are already at 900...too low already... you need to add more healthy calories to your diet. I would add 300.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    enough is enough is enough i can't go on, i can't go on....
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Can we put the pitch forks away, guys?

Don't drop to 950 calories.

We're all calorie counters here and sometimes it's too easy for us to oversimplify the "calories in, calories out" idea. If having a calorie deficit makes us lose weight then the bigger the deficit the more weight we lose per week, right? Well sure but the body will react differently to different sized deficits.

Not knowing anything about you I would suggest that you find out whether 1,200 calories is enough for you. Forget about 950 calories.

You can estimate how much your body needs using MFP's goal calculator or by using other online calculators (I like this one: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm). If you really want to know how much your body currently uses then go get a DEXA scan or an RMR test (You'll need to Google for a place that does it in your area). The DEXA scan is like an X-Ray of your body that the technician will analyse and give you a pretty accurate estimate of how much your body burns. The RMR test measures the CO2 in your breath while you rest for 45 minutes and estimates your BMR/RMR that way. These are way more accurate than an online calculators.

People on here can get a little touchy when it comes to under eating. Maybe we take it a little too personally and sound a little mean when we address under eating but deep down we just don't want you to hurt yourself.

You can lose weight without starving your body. Weight loss takes time and you just need to be patient. As long as there's an overall downward trend in your body fat then you're ok.

Also, if you pretty slim already don't use body weight as your metric. Go by body fat and don't go below a healthy level for a woman. I know it's hard to measure but going by weight when you're not overweight is a bad idea.
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You need to make healthier choices. Eat clean, and eat more! You'll lose weight with a reasonable caloric deficit, but 950 is just too much of a deficit. Your body will go into starvation mode and then you won't be able to lose ANY weight. Do you want that? I think not. So consult a dietician and he/she will help you formulate an exercise/food plan for a healthy lifestyle.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If this is a troll....this is kind of lame. You need to work on your skills.

If this is the pro-ana calling card that some do to get the attention of other pro-ana peeps, I hope mods are keeping track.

If not troll...please see a medical physician to ensure you haven't caused any damage and talk to them to see if they can refer you to a counselor because you need help. Please do this ASAP! :flowerforyou:
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Actually you're already not eating enough if you're exercising too. Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

It will help you set realistic calorie goals that will set you up for success.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I do not envy what you're about to endure....

I blame it on the weather today.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I do not envy what you're about to endure....

I have to admit...I laughed audibly when I read this post. :drinker:

Now to read through the three pages to see if the prediction was accurate.

ETA: That was remarkably tame compared to what I expected...especially with the outright rejection by OP of the legitimate answers given.

OP, I hope you're trolling for LOLZ. If not, then I hope you listen to the solid advice you've been given so far in this thread. These responses aren't because people want to be mean, or because they want to crush your dreams...they're because people truly believe what they are posting to be what is best for you...and so do I. And if you can't make the necessary adjustments on your own, I hope you follow the advice to seek out someone who can help you get the help you need...if not now, then in the future.
  • evon623
    evon623 Posts: 7
    Options
    Do not do it! What people do not realize is that eating too few calories can actually ruin your diet. Your body goes into starvation mode when fed to few calories and holds on to all it can. Focus on what kind of calories you are putting in, instead of trying to cut them too low. Amp up your fiber intake, more proteins, veggies, fruit, and lots of water.
  • hollygoddess
    hollygoddess Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Do not go below 1,200...a SUSTAINED intake lower than that minimum can cause the body to look for other sources (if you have no excess fat to burn) to use such as muscle & organs!
  • TinaBina90
    TinaBina90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Check out these guys. I listen to their podcasts on iTunes. http://www.fat2fitradio.com/

If you eat too little, you will lose weight, but :
    1. It is not a sustainable lifestyle
    2. The weight you will lose will be precious muscle instead of fat
    3. The weight will mostly likely come back.

It is all about lifestyle. Think of eating as fueling your body. If you feel like you cannot eat a lot of food choose healthy high calorie foods like nuts, nut butters, and avacados to boost your calorie intake without a lot of volume.

You should also check to see what your BMR is. They have a calculator on Fat2Fit. You do not want to eat below that number. You may gain weight in the beginning, but that is just muscle growth and your metabolism starting up.

I am not a doctor or a psychologist, so I cannot say that you have an eating disorder. Honestly, many people are simply not educated on how to lose weight the right way and are brainwashed by fad diets, pills, and the pressure to get skinny quick. The weight does not come on quickly and it will not be lost quickly. This is about the rest of your life. Take your time and you will get the results you want and be so much happier than eating too little.

Best of Luck!
    Tina
This discussion has been closed.