Talk to me about TRX

questionablemethods
questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey! I've been considering buying a TRX suspension trainer for a few months now. I do most of my working out in the one-room condo that I share with my boyfriend. I have found that when I work out at home I am more consistent and I can get my workout done in less time than trying to get on machines or wait for weights or bench space in the weight room. I do a lot of bodyweight work because well... I like it (thus, I will DO it). I try to train "functionally" (buzz word, I know). I have had knee injuries and one knee surgery in the past and working on balance and core strength is important to me because I do NOT want a repeat injury.

So, I'm thinking a TRX system might add a lot of variety and intensity to what I am able to do. Keep it fresh, allow for even greater variety/challenge.

Does anyone out there have experience with these? Do you use it? Do you travel with it? Is it all you dreamed of and more? :laugh:

TRX_photo_1.jpg

Replies

• peck113
    peck113 Posts: 19
    I'm a personal trainer and I love using the TRX with my clients at the gym. I think it would be a great investment for you. The possiblities are endless. Every exercise will help strengthen your core.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Do want!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I don't own one, but have used it with my trainer.

For me (and I'm pretty body aware) some of the moves were tricky to learn. But, it is an awesome workout that is super easy to adjust to make harder or easier. Also, it really seems to be a balancing workout, in that it immediately points out to you where you're weak and need to strengthen. I like it because my (and probably everybody's) body is different even from day to day, and you don't need to think about "drop to a lighter weight" just "step closer or farther away".

I love it, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to do it without my trainer's guidance.
  • aj77
    aj77 Posts: 1 Member
    I've been working out with the TRX Force Kit for about 6 weeks now and I can tell a big difference in the strength and stamina of my muscles, especially my core. Although the initial investment can be steep, the TRX is excellent. I'm in the process of injury-proofing my body as best I can (i.e., strengthening my core, tendons, ligaments, stabilizing muscles of the shoulders and knees, etc.) and the TRX really fits the bill.

Following the videos are pretty easy, but watch the exercise reviews to make sure you are doing the exercises correctly. I recently bought a few other videos but haven't gone through the workouts yet. I'm moving onto the Ropes and Straps workout next.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    For a portable, fits anywhere, multipurpose workout "apparatus", I think TRX stacks up very well. Price is relative--for some $200 might seem expensive, but there is no way you can get anything as versatile or as well made at that price.

TRX is much better than a dumbbell set and infinitely better than any piece of informercial crap (e.g. bowflex).

So quality is no question--you just have to make sure it is something you would enjoy doing. Like any form of resistance exercise, it is not a "one time" fix, meaning I would not expect to make TRX your sole training modality forever.

If you think you would like that type of training, I think TRX might be the single best investment for a home strength system, esp if you are short on space.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Just wanted to come and update. My fiance and I sold our set of adjustable dumbbells and bought a TRX system. We are both loving it so far. I have always liked bodyweight exercises more than working with dumbbells and this system lets me challenge myself with some moves that are hard to do without some additional support. For example, I am using it to help me get better and go deeper in my single-leg squats. It helps Chris make bodyweight exercises a lot more challenging. And, best of all, it is so much easier to take out and put away than our 100 lbs of dumbbells!
  • I've been doing a trx bootcamp class twice a week for two weeks I love it. I never push myself that hard at the gym
    alone and it's a good sore feeling after!!!! I can't really see any results in my body yet I have 12 pounds to lose but really feel like it's a great workout..... How many calories do you think I'm burning in an hour class???? Does anyone know how long it will take me to see some results??????
This discussion has been closed.