Doctoral Students

Options
These past years have been really hard on me and my family. I'm working full time, full-time mom of 3, full-time wife of a minister. I'm in the dissertation stage of my degree and have not taken care of myself these past 3 years. I was already overweight, but now I am even worse. I haven't been able to think for the past month. I figured something had to change. My weight and health is at the top of my list. I've started journaling my calories using MyFitnessPal.com and app. I also have started exercising in order to eat more and hope for more energy and focused thinking.

Doctorate students have a lot of stress. It's expensive, stressful on the family's time, and stretches one cognitively, emotionally, and spiritually. I would love to connect with other doctoral students in order to connect on a professional and personal level.

Winnie
Curriculum and Instruction

Replies

• DrSelenaMyers
    DrSelenaMyers Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hello, My name is Dr. Myers and I totally understand where your coming from. I recently earned my doctorate degree, and looking back now, I know it was only God that allowed me to make it through the dissertation process!! And yes because so much of your focus is on your studies, it's easy to lose sight of self and our loved ones. I wish you much success with your studies as well as your weight loss journey. Look forward to connecting with you on MFP!!!:smile::smile:
  • ecotime47
    ecotime47 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. I'm not working on my doctorate at the moment but I am trying to juggle working full-time, pastoring a church, and being a good parent to my 6 mo old. I am struggling to find time and motivation to begin working out again and eating healthy. I'll be praying for you friend.
  • christyhall01
    christyhall01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    HI! I, too, am in the dissertation phase of my doctorate & when I graduate in May, it will have been almost a 5-year journey. I am also a mom, wife, full-time teacher, etc., so I can understand where you are coming from. I've put on weight myself through these past few years, and have always been a little "chunky" & not a big fan of exercise. I have, however, been walking consistently for the past 3 weeks, but have been too afraid to step on the scale for fear of it not moving - which is usually what happens.

I just joined this site today, & I hope that it can help keep me motivated to try and lose the weight I've gained. Plus, I hope to continue to exercise for the health benefits.

Let's do this!! :happy:
  • TheMMan
    TheMMan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I received my doctorate over 20 years ago so I know the pressure of being a doctoral student and writing a dissertation!
  • thewordwarrior
    Options
    Hi! I'm in the dissertation writing phase of my doctorate. Yep, these past five years of grad school have been brutal emotionally and physically, so I know exactly what you mean. But you'll get through this!