Homemade Bread?

Options
jdelisle
jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
I recently aquired a breadmaker and was wondering if anyone had any recipes they would like to share?

Currently I use my Gramma's recipe, and it is YUMMY... but comes in at 151 calories a slice. I'm wondering if anyone has some lower calorie alternatives?

Non-breadmaker recipes are welcome as well. I don't really care for the shape/hardness of breadmaker loaves so I only use mine to make the dough before transfering to my own pans for the oven.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• marierk
    marierk Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I am brand new here, but I make my own bread. I also don't use my bread maker for baking only mixing the dough. I then will shape it and use PC stoneware to bake.

A lot of people at church always ask me to make bread for them. So I will soon be teaching a class on making bread, lol. I normally make a variation using the white bread flour, but I would like to make more healthy whole grain breads. I have recently done some research on how to go about it. I will be looking into getting some seed grains and grinding my own. I will need some kind of grain grinder to do that.

When I figure out the recipe I will post it for you.

One recipe that is a hit is my Challah aka Easter or Braided Bread. It is a more sweet bread, not good for loosing weight as you will want to eat more than recommended.

3 egg, 1 cup of milk - mix egg with milk and warm in microwave, lukewarm to the touch so as not to kill the yeast.
    3 to 4 cups of Bread flour.
    !/2 cup of sugar or honey
    1 tsp salt
    1 pkg of yeast or 1 Tbsp.

Combine all, knead adding more flour as necessary, dough should be soft to touch, but not sticky.
    let rise till doubled about 45 min.

Divide into 3 pieces, stretching each one out into a long role. Then braid, place on baking sheet, brush with egg, let rise about 25 min. and bake about 30 min. at 350.

Let cool and enjoy. Makes wonderful french toast.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Does bread count as low calories?

I have two bread recipes that I make often, but both make more than one loaf. Here is one now:

1 cup warm water (105-115)
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 tablespoons dry yeast

4 cups warm water
    1/2 cup oil
    1/2 cup honey
    2 eggs
    6 cups wheat flour
    1 tablespoon salt (I use less)
    6 (to 8) cups white flour

Dissolve yeast into 1 cup water and sugar in small bowl. Allow to sit until bubbly.

In large bowl mix in water, oil, honey & eggs. Add yeast mixture. Add 6 cups wheat flour and mix for five minutes. Beat in salt. Add unbleached flour with wooden spoon or with bread mixer. Knead 5-10 minutes.

Put in large, greased bowl (turn to grease top). (I use about 1/2 -1 tablespoon butter to grease bowl.
    Cover with damp cloth. Let rise until doubled. (About an hour). When you poke it, if it starts to collapse at the poke spot, it is done rising.

Shape into 4 loaves and put in greased bread pans. (these I grease with Pam). Let rise until doubled (30-45 minutes).

Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes.

I also use these for dinner rolls using cupcake tins.

I don't know the calories per slice. Of course, that would depend on the number of slices you make. This makes a wonderful bread for sandwiches. The kids take this in their lunches to school.

My other recipe calls for sunflower seeds, etc. I will post it later.
  • MaliaDTaylor
    Options
    A big problem with whole wheat bread can be that it is very hard, dense, and dry. The key to great whole wheat bread is the sponge method (below).

Basic Whole Wheat Bread

1 1/3 cup warm water
    1 packet (2 1/2 teaspoons) quick-rise yeast
    1 tablespoon olive oil or other healthy oil
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 teaspoons salt
    about 3-4 cups whole wheat flour

With this or any whole wheat bread recipe, mix the warm water, yeast, oil, honey, and just about 1/3 of the whole wheat flour. Don't add the salt or rest of the flour. Stir until the mixture looks a bit like pancake batter, and then cover and allow to rise (45 minutes).

***Explanation: By leaving out the salt (which slows rising and the gluten development), and most of the flour, you create a well developed "sponge". This lets you add less flour in the end because your wheat proteins will hold on to your moisture in a different way than if you just mixed everything together all at once. So this method will make a softer whole grain bread (because of less flour, flour=density) and at the same time, a lower calorie bread.***

When the mixture is risen, stir down (about 50 times), add your salt, and enough of the flour to make a smooth dough. Knead on a lightly floured board for about 10-15 minutes. Let rise once more in an oiled bowl, covered with plastic wrap or a dish towel, for 45 minutes.

Punch dough down and shape into loaves. Preheat oven to 400 F and bake loaves in oiled loaf pans or on a pizza stone (this works great!)
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    I make my own bread all the time and this is my recipe. I get lots of compliments on it so I hope you like it too.
    Mix:
    3 cups bran
    2 cups wheat germ
    1 cup ww flour
    1/2 cup oil
    4T instant yeast
    2T molasses
    1T salt
    Add: 7-8 cups water and mix

Then add enough ww flour to make a dough. Usually about 10 cups. Kneed.

Let rise until double (about an hour)

Shape into loaves and let rise again for about 45 minutes.

Preheat over to 350 and bake for about 30-45 minutes.

When you bring it out of the oven, I used to brush with marg, now I use the spray Becel marg (0 cal in 5 sprays) instead to keep the crust soft on top.

Delicious!!
    Makes 5-6 loaves.