How many calories does waiting on tables burn per hour?

Options
I've never known the answer! So I'm constantly confused about how much I should eat in a day, I don't know whether it's about 100 an hour or 50 an hour, so I don't know what allowances to make when it comes to food? I normally work 7 hours a day so hopefully someone will know the answer? :(

Replies

• illusivegalaxy
    Options
    Try this calculator

http://www.fitday.com/webfit/burned/calories_burned_Serving_food_setting_table_implied_walking_or_standing.html

I bus tables 3 days a week and I'm curious to how much I burn as well and I found this calculator, not sure how precise it is but it gives you a better idea of how much you burn per hour while working in a restaurant :)

Idk if that link worked because its really long:/ so try this one if it didnt:x

http://tinyurl.com/l89h3f7
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'd say zero.
    But I used to be a cook and I hated the wait staff. :D

Besides, if you're doing it right you already factored it into your daily energy expenditure.
  • rachie590
    rachie590 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't count waiting tables. MFP asks you at the beginning if you are sedentary or if you work an active job. I figure my body is pretty used to it. I doubt my heart rate is too elevated...despite running around with no breaks and carrying/lifting/lower trays that weigh in excess of 50+ lbs. I think that since it's been years since this has made me sore, it's safe to say I don't need to eat the calories back.

Just my personal opinion.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Don't count your job.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Change your stats to moderate activity to account for your job. Don't list it as exercise. That should be above and beyond normal daily activity.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I've never known the answer! So I'm constantly confused about how much I should eat in a day, I don't know whether it's about 100 an hour or 50 an hour, so I don't know what allowances to make when it comes to food? I normally work 7 hours a day so hopefully someone will know the answer? :(

Why don't you include it in your activity level like you're supposed to? That would probably solve your problem. If you're waiting tables, you are not sedentary...minimally, you'd be light active
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi, I googled it.

"December 07, 2011 7:58 am
    Question~I've been moonlighting as waitress for the past month or so on the weekends.( I've done this kind of work before, so I'm fast,efficient and good at it;) Hence why I do not workout on Saturday. I work from about 4:30pm to around 1 -2 am. I am constantly moving! I wore my HRM one night and I got 1978 calories burned in an 8 hour shift."

My opinion: If you have your activity set at sedentary or low activity then I would be inclined to add it, but if not then it will already be included in the MFP calculations.

Cheers
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    set your MFP activity to lightly active and then don't worry about it.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Don't count your job.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    hrms do not work for non cardio. so your google is useless..

actual burn would be in the 50-100 range per hour.
    Hi, I googled it.

"December 07, 2011 7:58 am
    Question~I've been moonlighting as waitress for the past month or so on the weekends.( I've done this kind of work before, so I'm fast,efficient and good at it;) Hence why I do not workout on Saturday. I work from about 4:30pm to around 1 -2 am. I am constantly moving! I wore my HRM one night and I got 1978 calories burned in an 8 hour shift."

My opinion: If you have your activity set at sedentary or low activity then I would be inclined to add it, but if not then it will already be included in the MFP calculations.

Cheers
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I hope this information helps:

Calories burned in jobs with a high amount of activity
    Examples: Construction workers, waitresses, farmers, custodians and maintenance workers, landscapers, professionals of a construction trade such as carpenters, plumbers, welders, roofers, or electricians.

These professions require a lot of physically taxing activity. They might range widely in nature, but what they have in common is that they cover a lot of distance, or spend a lot of time hefting themselves or materials around in order to get a job done. They spent much of the day on their feet, and some of them must use their strength in often varying and unpredictable ways.

With roughly 1500 steps taken each hour, these careers have people taking roughly 12,000 steps in an 8 hour period. By our calculations, that’s 175 calories per hour, or 1,400 in eight. Keep in mind that these numbers are based off of a 145 pound person. Considering that the occupations above have a higher than average male occupancy, body weights will tend to be higher and so will the caloric burn.

These physically challenging jobs might have people taking enough steps, and burning enough calories, but they do not lead to a complete picture of fitness. There is still plenty of room for strength training, cardio that is intense enough to get the heart rate up, and stretching to help maintain flexibility and avoid injuries."
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    set your MFP activity to lightly active and then don't worry about it.

THIS!
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    that number includes bmr.so its already way off.. and as current tradesman and former server, you gotta be some kinda special to think the 2 are comparable.
    I hope this information helps:

Calories burned in jobs with a high amount of activity
    Examples: Construction workers, waitresses, farmers, custodians and maintenance workers, landscapers, professionals of a construction trade such as carpenters, plumbers, welders, roofers, or electricians.

These professions require a lot of physically taxing activity. They might range widely in nature, but what they have in common is that they cover a lot of distance, or spend a lot of time hefting themselves or materials around in order to get a job done. They spent much of the day on their feet, and some of them must use their strength in often varying and unpredictable ways.

With roughly 1500 steps taken each hour, these careers have people taking roughly 12,000 steps in an 8 hour period. By our calculations, that’s 175 calories per hour, or 1,400 in eight. Keep in mind that these numbers are based off of a 145 pound person. Considering that the occupations above have a higher than average male occupancy, body weights will tend to be higher and so will the caloric burn.

These physically challenging jobs might have people taking enough steps, and burning enough calories, but they do not lead to a complete picture of fitness. There is still plenty of room for strength training, cardio that is intense enough to get the heart rate up, and stretching to help maintain flexibility and avoid injuries."