Sorry! I am so needy today.

Options
I posted earlier that I was having difficulty with hitting my calories and following mfps protein, fat, and carb goals. A couple people suggested that I change my macros so I had more protein. While researching it, I blew my mind with formulas on lean body mass, tdees, and so on. Also, I purchased calipers and after measuring I got 31% body fat which does not make me happy so I want to increase protein and work out more. I'm on a 1200 calorie diet. Any advice would be awesome.

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I follows high protein, low carb diet. My macros are set at 40/30/30 protein/carbs/fat. I find that the only way I can hit my protein numbers AND stay in my calorie goal is to use protein supplements. Low sugar (or no sugar) shakes and bars work for me. There are lots of options. I suggest trying a few different kinds to find something you like. I can suggest a few that I like if you want.
  • shirleygirl1013
    shirleygirl1013 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What kind do you use? If I change, I am going to need a lot more protein options.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I suggest you look up your BMR and TDEE first, to check you need to be eating as low as 1200 as a large number of people on this site discovered they could lose weight well on more, and it was more sustainable in the long run.

This is a good one. It has an option to input your weekly exercise, and also the top one is to find just your bmr, what you burn doing nothing.

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

I suggest sticking to real food is preferable, where possible. Shakes and bars tend to be full of all sorts of artificial stuff.

You can get a lot of protein for relatively low calories from cottage cheese, greek yoghurt and skinless chicken breasts, and other lean meats, and moderate protein from eggs, beans, lentils, tofu, nuts and seeds.
  • shirleygirl1013
    Options
    I did my tdee - 20% and I have 1305 calories through the calculator that you provided. I did my macros and the percentages are 45/45/10. That is protein/fat/carbs. I don't know if I can realistically do that either
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I suggest doing your 1305, and doing something like 40 carbs, 25 protein and 35 fat.
    That has always worked well for me, anyway. Just ensure you are getting 1g protein per ib of your lean body mass if possible. For reference, I am 140Ibs and aim for 100-120g per day. Your TDEE seems awfully low, do you not exercise ?
  • shirleygirl1013
    Options
    I just starting exercising 4 times a week. If I add that in my tdee, should I put in mfp and it would add calories?
  • shirleygirl1013
    Options
    I just recalculated it with the added exercise and I am at 1542. I am going to up my protein too.