Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Are GMO's feeding the world?

We were having this discussion at work due to an article that most Asian countries are no longer buying our wheat, and I generally support the idea of growing a bigger and better tomato or golden rice to supply much needed vitamin A. However, are GMO's really feeding the world? Do they result in higher crop yields that last longer of the shelf? I know this is controversial, but it would be nice to have a look at both sides.

Replies

• djfldjfl
    djfldjfl Posts: 26 Member
    Right now, they're mostly feeding "us". However, Obama in the US has apparently announced wanting to bring modern agriculture techniques into Africa to help their problem with lack of food. Anti-gmo'ers are in an uproar as expected. But Africa may be a few years away from not being hungry anymore. It's not a slam-dunk by any means, but we are making progress and gmo food is definitely helping.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    The problem in a lot of "hungry" places is not quantity of food but quality. So for instance little kids being weaned onto basic grain porridge and nothing else. The kids in these countries are dying from malnutrition far more than starvation. So for GMO it really is more about being able to produce those added-vitamin crops, than just yield. Not really taken off yet. I just wish it was in more altruistic hands. I feel like GMO will turn into another way to keep poor countries in debt to rich countries. :(
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,123 Member
    There's more than enough food available, it the politics that are the road blocks.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,123 Member
    We were having this discussion at work due to an article that most Asian countries are no longer buying our wheat, and I generally support the idea of growing a bigger and better tomato or golden rice to supply much needed vitamin A. However, are GMO's really feeding the world? Do they result in higher crop yields that last longer of the shelf? I know this is controversial, but it would be nice to have a look at both sides.
    Nobody is making GMO wheat for consumption, yet.