Quorn is here in Oz - Finally

Options
I love it, Quorn has proven to be one of the best vegetarian substitutes for meat that I have come accross. Although not a vegetarian, the beauty of Quorn is that the calories are so much lower than normal mince for example, however the taste is not compromised at all as far as I am concerned. Even the quorn sausages will now become a regular substitute for the kids, as there is one treat they will not know is actually good for them - Love it

Anyone else a fan or have any favourite recipes to share??

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I LOVE Quorn!! I use the chicken pieces in stir fry, fajitas, casseroles...anything that chicken goes in. My husband is not a vegetarian and he says he can't tell the difference when it's mixed in with other items. I try not to rely too much on substitutes...but you will rarely find a time when I don't have some in my freezer!
  • carlyefg
    Options
    What state are you in? Did you get it from a health food shop or one of the big 2 (Coles or woolies)?
    Is it wheat based, if so, I can't eat it :C
    but i understand your excitement, I've read about it for years in UK things and never seen it here (in Aus, Qld)
  • jkapp100
    jkapp100 Posts: 34
    Options
    I got my Quorn from Woolies in South Australia. I ended up having to ask if they stocked it as I just couldn't find it myself. And I have to apologies, as I don't know if wheat is the main ingredient. I know 'protein' is its main one.

I discovered Quorn when I was living in the UK in 2002. Upon my return home I googled it and found that it was not even stocked in Australia yet. It is because of this long wait that I am so excited to see it in the freezer here.

I havent' really considered Quorn a substitue - but I guess it is .....never mind, its one rule I am willing to break.

Oh, and I a big fan of Stevia sweetner too ;)
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    http://www.quorn.us/products/Naked_Chik'n_Cutlet.aspx

It does have textured wheat protein. The main ingredient is mycoprotein, a fungal protein.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Quorn is not known in my part of France, used to eat it lots and still would! Can get tofu now but I simply cannot stand the texture.
  • LaSirena29
    Options
    I love quorn. It is probably my favorite meat substitute. The texture is great. My favorite is the naked chicken breasts. I grill them (either on a real grill or a grill pan), chop them and add them to everything...salads, pasta sauces, stir fry, wraps etc.

Another thing to watch for is Gardein. They are a Canadian company, we get them in the US, but I don't know about elsewhere. I'm not a big fan of their prepared, heat & eat products, but their beefless tips & chik'n are exelent for cooking. I used their beefless tips to make a stew the other night and everyone loved it, including the meat eaters. I made a pot pie using their chik'n that was also really good.
  • Douniap
    Douniap Posts: 841
    Options
    http://www.quorn.us/products/Naked_Chik'n_Cutlet.aspx

It does have textured wheat protein. The main ingredient is mycoprotein, a fungal protein.

and egg whites!!
  • jkapp100
    jkapp100 Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks for the links.

I looked today and there is no chick'n options available , but I will keep asking!
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I use the mince to make spag bol, cottage pie, chilli, I love quorn and I'm a long way from being vegetarian!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I love it, Quorn has proven to be one of the best vegetarian substitutes for meat that I have come accross. Although not a vegetarian, the beauty of Quorn is that the calories are so much lower than normal mince for example, however the taste is not compromised at all as far as I am concerned. Even the quorn sausages will now become a regular substitute for the kids, as there is one treat they will not know is actually good for them - Love it

Anyone else a fan or have any favourite recipes to share??

I adore Quorn and you are correct about the sausages, personally I can never taste the difference.

I used to adore Quorn pie, however, whilst I am trying to lose this weight I do not touch pastry (but it sure is tasty LOL).

I am glad somebody else loves the stuff!
  • Julbella78
    Julbella78 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I was watching "Too Fat for 15" today and one of the young girls was eating quorn in place of ground beef. I had never heard of it before today. I don't know if they sell it around where I live or not. I'll have to keep an eye out.