Strength/weight training suggestions?

Options
Good morning!

TGIF ;-)

I have a question in regards to my current strength and weight training routine and how to change it up or add more.

I take a toning and sculpting class twice a week, Mondays and Wednesdays. It's an hour long, full body workout using 5 -7.5 lb weights. We work upper body and lower body at the same time. We'll do squats, lunges, deadlifts, even side planks and ab & glute work with hand weights.

Once a week, usually on Saturdays, I'll do strength training on my own. I don't like the feeling of exhausting ONE muscle group to a point of soreness that lasts a couple of days **as a side note, I had worked with a personal trainer on a weekly basis and we were doing all over conditioning and I preferred this, so I stuck with it*. Anyway, my routine is about 30-45 minutes and I try to do it all. I do the hip ab/adductor machine, the lat pulldowns, the assisted chin up/dip machine; the leg press, etc....

I do cardio 5 times a week. I alternate between the treadmill --I jog the 5k loop, I do the walking on a high incline (15.0), I mix it up--, the elliptical and now the evil stair machine. I also try to jog outdoors when the weather isn't over 100 degrees.

Do I need to focus MORE on the weights? I have lost 108.4 lbs so far and have just under 30 to go for my goal weight. I struggle with my jiggly belly, my lovehandles, my inner thighs and my triceps. I have developed quite nice calves and have definition in my biceps.

Any ideas/suggestions/advice/tips?

I really need and want to tone up.

Thanks!

Replies

• candacepainter
    Options
    Wish I could help but I'm having the same problems!
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    Chalean Extreme has really slimmed me down and tightened up lots of areas too:flowerforyou:
  • abbiez
    abbiez Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I cant be much help but how long has it been since you worked with a personal trainer? If its been a while maybe set up a session or two and talk to he/she about your specific needs and see if they can help you make up a strength training plan that will emphasize what you want to change. Just a thought.

good luck and congrats on the fantastic loss :-)
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    If you are doing weight training twice a week, and doing the entire body those two days, I think thats fine, because you do need to give the body time to rest. Most people who do weigh training on more than 2 days, usually do different muscles on the different days, but in your case you are doing your full body.

So, you can probably try the P90X routine, weight trainings are done Monday, Wednesday and Friday and its different muscles on those three days

The type of cardio, you are doing are toning you as well, so I think you are fine, maybe you can try increasing your reps instead or increasing your weights, to get faster/better results
  • rachelc19
    Options
    If you are not seeing those results your looking for, maybe its time to increase the weights you are using because your body will get used to it. I recommend that you do 2-3 sets of 10 reps and increase it to the weight that will make it hard to lift once you reach 8-10. This will really work your muscle area and give you faster results. Also, I have made this mistake before but do not rely only on the machienes. From personal experience, free weights give you faster results. And I know, this might sound crazy to you but, try not to do too much cardio. It burns calories and helps you lose weight, sure, but it doesn't give you any muscle definition. The more muscle you get, the less fat you have, which means you burn more calories at rest. I would say if you want to do both cardio& weights, start with 10 minutes on the (treadmill, elliptical, stepper, etc.) and do some weights, get back on for 10 more minutes, and do the rest of your weights. That will keep your heart rate up and help you achieve a better body. And remember- STRICTLY HEALTHY DIET!!!
    By the way, since you lost over 100 pounds, this "flab" is probably just excess skin from your dramatic weight loss. But just try this out if you want to, and I hope you can lose those last 30 pounds. Good luck! (:
  • fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you are still losing weight at your preferred rate (1-2 lbs/week), then stick with your current program. You have a great balance of cardio and resistance training in your program.

What I found was that once I was within 10-15 lbs of my goal weight (as in now), I had to up the resistance training. I LOVE cardio, it gives me such a buzz. I could do it every day, but that's the problem. My body gets used to it, and it's not an effective fat burner for me. I had to switch from hour long cardio sessions to HIIT for shorter periods. AND I had to learn to "love" weights. Each weight session, I had to make a new "personal best". One more kg on the squat bar, or 2 more reps on the bicep, etc. I kept a journal and during each session would write down what weights I used on which body part, and the following session, I tried to beat that.

Now I do enjoy resistance training. I am one of the few women at the gym that uses the free weights. I always get respect from the guys! I am grunting and groaning and pulling all sorts of awful faces...it's so embarassing! But that is how you know you are really working...you shouldn't be able to keep a straight face doing your resistance workout!

I do weights twice a week, one day I do squats, dead lifts, lunges, and calf raises. The other workout I do chest press, chest flyes, shoulder raises, biceps/triceps. I I try to do abs both days. I only use free weights, because that works your core more.

Hope that helps!
  • scuba6randy
    scuba6randy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your doing great! Congratulations! Rememeber, you cannot "spot reduce" fat. No matter how many crunches and situps you do- you're activating the muscle in your abdomen, not the fat. Focusing on weight training will help "firm up" any area you work on, and more muscle means more fat-burning tissue. Keep doing great and add a little more resistance training. And add a bit more weight, most women don't use enough weight to fully engage the muscle. Toning is a very misused word in fitness. Your muscles grow, shrink or stay the same. They don't "tone", toning is an effect of shedding the layer of fat on top of the muscle to see the muscle more. Body sculpting classes are great, they grow muscle (if you use enough weight), and are active cardio (to burn fat) at the same time. Good luck, hope this info helps somewhat.
  • tlamhain
    tlamhain Posts: 15
    Options
    Lisamarie1226 I am right there with you! I have lost about the same amount of weight and have the same jiggly.skin problems! I agree that you might want to increase your weights. I have been trying to get my weight time done myself but I really do love running so I have to really remind myself to do the weight workouts! Wednesday I did Jackie Warner's Total Body Workout and I am still feeling it! I actually am happy I hurt because a lot of what I do doesn't hurt anymore even with more weight!
    Hang in there and keep up the great work!!! Congrats!
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Try to remember that the less weight you have to lose the harder it will be to lose it. I know, it sucks! Your workouts are phenomenal! I bow to your greatness, but maybe you should change your schedule up from week to week so your body doesn't get used to the schedule. I also agree with what others have said, it ain't broke don't fix it. See you Sunday lady!
  • nonnahs413
    nonnahs413 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    have you thought about P90X? They work different muscle groups everyday! It's a wonderful program! Also swimming is great for weight-loss and toning as well!