Cardio help for hols

Options
Hi all,

Could someone give me some advice on cardio please?

I'm currently recovering from an overuse running injury and after 3 weeks rest I've now been told I probably need to have another 4 weeks off from running. During this time off I've been using the spin bike for cardio and doing daily 45-60mins sessions including intervals, climbs etc which I've really enjoyed.

However, I'm off on a two-week holiday on saturday. I won't have access to a gym, I won't have a bike and I can't run. We're staying with my in-laws and they are not close to the beach, although they do have a small pool (10m). They also do not have the room to do an at home workout DVD inside their home.

Could anyone help me with options for a cardio part of my workout please? I've got resistance bands, skipping rope and I'll find a cheap swiss ball, so I'm happy I can keep up strength training. But I'd like some options to get my heart rate up as I don't want to lose fitness.Are there any circuit sessions I could do to get my heart rate up and maintain the fitness until I get back?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give, I really appreciate it as pretty gutted I won't be able to run on this holiday.

Replies

• jumasc
    jumasc Posts: 5
    Options
    Can you do stairs?
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Hiking and climbing. Climbing will really get your heart rate up.
  • jessicadawn1978
    jessicadawn1978 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Can you do stairs?

Yes, no problems with stairs, and the house has two sets of external metal steps and internal stairs, also a lovely steep driveway. So could do a circle of the house with two stairs and down the drive, then reverse it and back a few times. Fab idea thank you!

Also, thank you Emilyofthesun, hiking and climbing are a great suggestion and we're up in the hills so I can certainly so some of that. Bril, I hadn't thought about that

:smile:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Thread translation: I'm trading my old overuse injury for a new overuse injury and I don't want vacay to speed up my recovery.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Thread translation: I'm trading my old overuse injury for a new overuse injury and I don't want vacay to speed up my recovery.

^ Ah, a little Tuesday morning reality. I'm gonna go with this.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

yep, that is what i'm reading too
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

yep, that is what i'm reading too
    Ditto. Take a break. Let vacay be vacay.
  • jessicadawn1978
    jessicadawn1978 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well, I've no intention of being a hero and training throughout my vacation, but also two weeks feels like a long time to do no cardio at all, and I just hoped for some suggestions of alternatives exercises to maintain the gains I've made recently.

I do not want to aggravate the injury or pick up something new, and appreciate that it is an opportunity to take a chance to recover as well.