Anybody training for Tough Mudder?

Options
I signed up for the event in November (Tampa), and I started training in June. Just wondering if any of the MFP members are also doing this? It would be nice to share notes, motivate, etc.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm running one the end of august. I haven't done anything special in my training, as its been a combo of body weight strength & running anyways. I will just likely bump one run a week a little longer than usual.
    Good luck!
  • jumasc
    jumasc Posts: 5
    Options
    I've done a TM plus a slew of Spartans. For the TM, I don't think there is much in particular you need to do aside. One thing I suggest is to get used to running/walking up steep hills. I don't know much about TM's, but the one I did was on a mountain - as are all the Spartans I do, save for the Staten Island one, which was weak anyway. The TM seemed to be more mental challenges, rather mostly physical. I don't know anything about your training. I'd say just stick with you usual weight and cardio training, maybe set the treadmill to the max incline once in a while, and hit up your local monkey bars for some practice and you'll be fine. Have fun!

ETA: the spirit at TM's is great! The staff truly motivate you and there is much camaraderie. It's not focused on time, but rather that you finish.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I did the Tough Mudder in Ohio in April. You will be running across muddy surfaces for long durations, so I would definitely run hills and weight train your legs (there is also a “buddy carry” for 100 yards, and if you end up carrying someone bigger than you, you’ll be glad you weight trained legs!). Many of the obstacles require upper body strength, so mix in some body resistance exercises like dips, push-ups and pull-ups.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Hi I am in training for one in October in the UK. There is a group on here - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/14394-tough-mudder-training.

Also on the tough mudder website there is a training plan.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    There is a Tough Mudder Training group, that has different hints and tips for training.

Andy

ETA the above post got there just before me with a link :happy:
  • didntfeelcreativetoday
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/6486-spartans-mudders-warriors-oh-my is a group for tough mudders and spartan races.

My tough mudder was cancelled because it was to mudddy. Not for the runners but the rescue vehichles couldnt navigate the course safely so they cancelled the event. I had a small group doing the TM so we did long runs 10+miles, beach runs and the sugar cookie runs (run into the water waist deep, run about 50 yards and then back up on the beach. Pushups, situps and log rolls covering yourself with sand before doing it all over again.)
  • Elissalove
    Elissalove Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm running the same race! (November 2nd is 103 days away, but who's counting?!)
    Right now my team has one designated training day where we train together (sprints, etc) and I do weight lifting and boot camp other days (i workout 6 days/week.)
    Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to add running into the mix, but I really need to find the time because I can't run for anything.
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    i doing the one in September. I run several time a week. I normally run on flat surfaces. Now I've added hills to my run. The hills are hard. I'm going to be adding trail runs soon. I also do heavy lift (especially legs), HIIT and kickbox.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I've actually done a Tough Mudder in Tampa before. My next one is in October. You're going to have a great time. It's a little easier since it's mostly flat land rather than mountains, however the one I did was 12 miles rather than 10, so I think that's their way of making up for it. I would say a good quarter of it was in swamps. There were people in the water making sure there were no gators or snakes. :)

Just keep running and working on your upper body strength. Have fun!!
  • Par8hed4life
    Par8hed4life Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've actually done a Tough Mudder in Tampa before. My next one is in October. You're going to have a great time. It's a little easier since it's mostly flat land rather than mountains, however the one I did was 12 miles rather than 10, so I think that's their way of making up for it. I would say a good quarter of it was in swamps. There were people in the water making sure there were no gators or snakes. :)

Just keep running and working on your upper body strength. Have fun!!

Are you doing the one in Seattle? If so--ME TOO!! Oct 6th!!! My first Mudder!

I have been doing Crossfit since January and participated in a a Survivor Mud run and LOVED every minute of it. I have since then started running 3 miles once a week, biking once a week and continuing to Crossfit 3-4xs a week. I am going to incorporate more hills into my runs in the coming weeks as well to help train for the hills.

I am most nervous for the Arctic Enema and the electric shock. Both of which there is ZERO training for!