started running and... plateaued?

So, I'm relatively new to this whole new weight loss lifestyle as I gained a decent chunk of weight after recovering from a stomach ulcer that forced me to eat very little and drastically reduced both my weight and metabolism. Come May 2013, I was the heaviest I have ever been and decided to do something about it. The first 3 weeks in, I did great on sticking to my calorie goals but did absolutely no exercise and lost about 5 pounds. Since then (it's been about 3-4 weeks), I have lost only .8 more pounds. If anything, my eating has gotten even better. And, the strange thing is that right when I stopped losing the weight was the week that I got back into running. I've read the posts about your muscles initially retaining water, etc etc, but that wouldn't cause close to a month of stalled weight loss, would it? My BMR is 1546 and I typically eat just under 1200 calories a day. Also, please don't yell at me for "starving myself" at 1200 calories a day. After living with an ulcer for over a year, I just don't have the appetite that most people have, and feel like I'm eating the right amount for me, as I don't feel like I'm starving. Any advice? :smile:

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    OK, I won't tell you that you are starving yourself.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Since you have the ulcer issue. Talk to your DR. Mention the fact that you are running again.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    unfortunately, if you are only eating 1200 AND running, then.................................................................(you said not to say it, so I won't)
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    I'd suggest some strength training to get that fat loss moving again :-)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Yeah, I have nothing.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    *whispers* you might be starving yourself... I'm not a big believer in the whole 'starvation mode' thing, but if you're working out a lot and not eating enough, its going to cause your weight loss to slow down...that's a fact!

(edited to add)...it also looks like you don't really have a lot to lose, and generally that last 10 lbs is the hardest to get rid of :ohwell:

Good luck!
  • LERadicalDreamer
    LERadicalDreamer Posts: 61 Member
    Use a HRM and eat back your exercise calories. That did the trick to me, even though I didn't think it made sense - but then again, I'm not a nutritionist, and that's what they recommend. You don't have to feel like you are starving to put your body into starvation mode, which makes it hold onto that weight.

I just got through 9 months of horrible acid reflux, so I get it. I don't eat that much either, plus I am not breastfeeding. I find I lose weight only when I eat back all of my exercise calories and most of my breastfeeding calories (500/day).
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    I won't say you are starving as there are many days when I don't eat what I should. I will, however, let you know that while I was doing the Couch to 5K running programs, I lost more weight when I ate more calories. If you aren't that hungry try adding some fats to your existing diet. Eat peanut butter on your toast or by the spoonful. That will up your calories enough to perhaps make a breakthrough.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    So, I'm relatively new to this whole new weight loss lifestyle as I gained a decent chunk of weight after recovering from a stomach ulcer that forced me to eat very little and drastically reduced both my weight and metabolism. Come May 2013, I was the heaviest I have ever been and decided to do something about it. The first 3 weeks in, I did great on sticking to my calorie goals but did absolutely no exercise and lost about 5 pounds. Since then (it's been about 3-4 weeks), I have lost only .8 more pounds. If anything, my eating has gotten even better. And, the strange thing is that right when I stopped losing the weight was the week that I got back into running. I've read the posts about your muscles initially retaining water, etc etc, but that wouldn't cause close to a month of stalled weight loss, would it? My BMR is 1546 and I typically eat just under 1200 calories a day. Also, please don't yell at me for "starving myself" at 1200 calories a day. After living with an ulcer for over a year, I just don't have the appetite that most people have, and feel like I'm eating the right amount for me, as I don't feel like I'm starving. Any advice? :smile:

So, you are new to this and asking advice, but you do not want anyone to tell you that it is possible you could not be eating enough to fuel you and your workouts?

:huh:
    ok.....go talk to your doctor
  • Argh I hated it when people used to tell me that I was starving myself eating 1200 cals a day and running. DONT LISTEN TO THEM! I DID IT FOR 4 MONTHS AND LOST 42LBS! You know your own body and that's nobody elses business.

SO the same thing happened to me - running makes me retain way more water than normal so I also started to plateau. I changed up my routine with running and I started losing again.

I took down my running schedule to twice a week. Once at the beginning and once near the end of the week - then I did light weight training for my legs everyday to keep up the strength but the light weight lifting helped to tone and cut down fat instead of making me retain water and bulk up. Try envy girls on youtube leg workout and fitness blender is also good -either use weight based videos or pilates videos.

Good luck! Add me if you need any advice etc etc - i'm at the end of my journey now so have been through it all!
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    *whispers* you might be starving yourself... I'm not a big believer in the whole 'starvation mode' thing, but if you're working out a lot and not eating enough, its going to cause your weight loss to slow down...that's a fact!

^^.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Argh I hated it when people used to tell me that I was starving myself eating 1200 cals a day and running. DONT LISTEN TO THEM! I DID IT FOR 4 MONTHS AND LOST 42LBS! You know your own body and that's nobody elses business.

Picard-Facepalm-297x300.jpg
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Not sure how far you are running, but you burn *about* 100 calories per mile. So, you need to be augmenting that 1200 with enough calories to cover your run. See. . .your 1200 is a deficit as it stands. Burn another 400 and your asking your body to "get by" with about 800 calories. That ain't gonna cut it. You may feel full with less food.. . .so pick some calorie dense foods like nuts, avacado, etc.

And, I'm training for a full marathon right now and my weight hasn't dropped a lb. I'd like it to drop about 7 more, but I'm not going to go hungry while training. You've got to feed the machine.
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    I started training for a 1/2 marathon earlier this year and had a similar issue. I was only eating 1200 calories (not netting) and my runs were suffering (not to mention I wasn't losing any weight). Since I was new to running, I didn't understand how to properly balance my nutrition and exercise.

I was not eating enough. I wasn't fueling my body the way it needed to be and it was starting to take a toll on me. I couldn't go for a run without getting awful cramps and my pace was getting slower.

Start eating more (good foods) and your body should respond positively. Good luck! :drinker:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I won't say you're starving yourself.

I will say your deficit is too large for the small amount of weight you have to lose. Aim for a half pound a week and eat most of your exercise calories.
  • haha thanks for the input but I started at 187lbs and now I weigh 140lbs so I lost more than 42lbs and I am 5ft 10.

I am now well within healthy range and I am a UK size 10 so I more than smashed my goal weight dieting that way which I still do and I am very happy.

Basically saying I was fat so that is how I could follow that diet is the biggest *kitten* comment ever. Jog on.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    haha thanks for the input but I started at 187lbs and now I weigh 140lbs so I lost more than 42lbs and I am 5ft 10.

I am now well within healthy range and I am a UK size 10 so I more than smashed my goal weight dieting that way which I still do and I am very happy.

Basically saying I was fat so that is how I could follow that diet is the biggest *kitten* comment ever. Jog on.

Not what I said, but hey whatever makes you feel better.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member

I won't yell at you, but you're not eating enough.
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Gonna say this anyway... you need to eat more.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Have you tried just drinking water for just a week and maybe a couple multivitamins a day, y'know, since you have no appetite and all. Go big or go home. </sarcasm>