Getting confused with carbs etc - Newbie

Options
Hi all I have just started on my way to loosing a few pounds that I have gained over the years. My diet is mainly low carb anyway so I figure that it would make sense to follow that route, however I am getting confused over exactly what I am supposed to eat!

I am doing approx. 30 mins of exercise a day (alternating cardio and resistance) and allowing for this in my Calories. With being on Low Carb is it o.k to go over on the fats and protein???? as I presume from the various threads I have read this is where the energy comes from????, I have also signed up for Atkins to get some idea, is that any good?

Any advice would be gratefully received.Thanks

Replies

• MatthewMacG
    MatthewMacG Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi David,

If you stick to your calorie goal you will lose weight regardless of what you eat. Following a low carbohydrate diet will have no greater effect on fat loss than any other diet, the only reason people believe it to be better for losing weight is because for every gram of carbohydrates the body needs water, hence less carbohydrates, less water, less weight. You aren't losing just fat, you are losing water by following a low carbohydrate diet.

I would recommend hitting your macros (correct about of carbohydrates, protein and fats) over going low carbohydrate option. There is no benefit in the low carbohydrate route as the idea of going that route is Ketosis, which hasn't been proven to aid weight loss but instead to treat mental health conditions.

I should add (hence the edit) that if your diet is naturally low in carbohydrates, then there is nothing wrong with that. You can have a diet of fluctuating protein, carbohydrates and fat and still be healthy, aslong as you watch sodium and fibre content. Obviously the body needs protein, so make sure to get plenty of that, whereas energy can be gotten from both carbohydrates and fat.
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You can go over on fat and protein as long as you're within calorie goals.

And if you're fine exercising on low carb then keep with it. Although I know most people have a hard time doing strenous exercise on low carb diets as it depletes your glycogen stores.

Anyhow, it sounds like you haven't adjusted your macro targets so I'm not sure if you know how? In that case you can go into your goals, edit them and do a "custom" setting, not "guided". From here you can adjust your % for carbs, fat, and protein to get them where you want them. On low carb you'd probably do something like 20/40/40 (20% carbs / 40% protein / 40% fat).

Hope that helps.
  • topshopandpugs
    Options
    Hey I'm trying to loose another 27lbs and I've cut out the carbs/kept them to an absoloute minimum making carb sources from fruit/veg and unrefined grains like bulgar wheat, wholemeal rice, quinoa, sweet potato. I've lost nearly 20lbs already but my weight is plateuing so I'm not sure this very low carb diet is affecting my weight loss now.

Should I increase the carbs? I do find I get hungry quite often especially throughout the day and the day after exercise.

Cheers.
  • davideason
    davideason Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, very helpful. Will perhaps just adjust my diet slightly and alter the little carbs that I do eat (wholemeal rice instead of plain etc), just wanted to check it was o.k to go over on my fat and protein intake as there are so many conflicting reports. Onward and upwards as they say :)

Thanks
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 288
    Options
    David as other said you can go over on anything really except calories that is your magical number. I am sure your body will appreciate if you do at least hit or exceed a couple categories the only ones that you might want to try to stay below are your sodium and maybe cholesterol and saturated and trans fat.

The fats and cholesterol to me are not really that important but sodium will cause you to retain water and since you have more water increase your weight. Everything else you can exceed the amounts that MFP has unless you have a condition that requires a specific restriction.

I hope you think of this a the beginning to a healthy life and not just a diet in the modern definition, best of luck on your journey.
  • Cherry_T
    Cherry_T Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the fat loss factor for ways to implement carb control: http://choppysreviews.com/the-fat-loss-factor/
    You could do with some more exercise. Perhaps alternate cardio and weight training with one day off a week.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    You are probably going over because you're using a pre-set macros. Edit this in your settings. I changed mine to be 20/50/30 C/F/P and I also track my fibre. I think you go to settings>goals if I'm not mistaken. No matter what your macros are, stay within your calorie goal.
  • Live4theLift
    Live4theLift Posts: 329
    Options
    TRUE: You can go and eat whatever you want and as long as your under calories you will lose weight, ALTHOUGH!!! the weight will mostly be muscle loss if its not nutritional foods. McDonalds all day and fried chicken will not help you lose fat but lose muscle. But if you are on a low carb diet you can go over on fats and proteins since you still must meet you calorie goal you will need the cals to come from somewhere