When to buy new clothes when you are losing weight?

Options
Hey! After all that hard work to lose weight, you have finally become slimmer, more satisfied with your looks and body shape but you are still not at your goal weight/size etc. BAM! Another dilemma hits you. "Should I buy clothes to fit my size now, buy clothes in my goal size or wait till I reach my goal size?" Any suggestion for situations like this?

My clothes looks pretty big and floppy now but I am not sure if I should start buying new clothes or wait a little longer....

Replies

• crissyniko
    crissyniko Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I personally go to Goodwill and buy a couple things in the size that fits at the moment super cheap. I'll wear my pants until the are literally falling off me and then I go. I can't afford a new wardrobe in every size so this works for me. Our Goodwill around here is clean, organized, great brands, and I buy alot with store tags still attached at a fraction of the cost!
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Good Will, Plato's Closet, Thrift Shops!! don't buy new till your to your goal weight!!!
  • ZenBJR
    ZenBJR Posts: 13
    Options
    I buy every 4 sizes. I started at 54, bought new pants at 48, 44, and now 40. They have all been new clothes for work, because I need to look good for work. However, I started at 4XL and only just now bought new shirts and shorts for casual wear (XL and 40).

I plan to buy new work pants at 36 and 32 (my company supplies the shirts, and gives me new ones every time i drop a size), but I don't plan to buy new casual clothes until 32/Medium (or whatever my goal is).

Expensive, yes, but it feels good.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    When your pants fall down without unzipping them it's really time to get new ones. If you're halfway through losing weight, look at a nice thrift shop if you have one. I'm going thrift shopping for work clothes in early Aug.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I am pear shaped, so my tops stayed about the same: started at M/L and ended at M/S. I just bought one intermediate pair of jeans because all other stuff were falling off me and stayed in them until I reached what was my GW back then. Of course my GW lowered a bit after that and the pants I bought are no longer tight, but they're still good enough.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I've cycled my wardrobe through the local thrift shops several times in the last year. When I reach my goal weight, I'll think about buying NEW clothes.
  • TheGr8Kimbini
    Options
    Ditto!
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yes. Go pop some tags at the thrift shop. :glasses:

Or try freecycle.

The only new clothes I ever buy are undies, jammies, and once in a while new running shoes. Everything else comes from reuse and recycle. It's the cheaper and more environmentally sound approach and blends well with my quasi-hippie existence. :flowerforyou:
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree that thrift stores are a good option but also look at the Ross/Marshall's/TJ Maxx type discount stores. I currently have no trousers that fit because I am very picky about good work clothes that I want to spend a lot of money on so I am going to Ross and Marshall's to get something that will work in the meantime. Dresses and skirts are better than pants for fitting at various sizes.
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've lost just shy of 60lbs. This past weekend I went out and did some shopping for the first time. I hit up our local thrift store and got some good steals there. I need a few other items that I couldn't find so I'll be going to a store for those and look at their clearance racks.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I'd say at least every two sizes. You can always set a spending limit and go somewhere cheap. I bought a bunch of cute stuff at target the other day for next to nothing. Search the clearance racks, I found some adorable dresses, shirts, and jeans that were between $5-$20.

Bonus points of you're a "weird" size (smaller than a 4 or bigger than a 14). I find cute zeros on sale all the time because nobody buys them.
  • aliciarose511
    aliciarose511 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I try to go every two sizes like some others mentioned. For work pants, my boss told me "you can't wear those anymore, you need to go buy more this weekend." It got pretty bad.

I try to get a few things here and there, on sale. I have been getting some basic tshirts at oldnavy.com for $5-$6. I can dress them up for work or wear them casual on the weekend. The fit now, but if I shrink out of them they can be gym shirts or sleep shirts.
  • KirstenMarie18
    KirstenMarie18 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I bought a few new things after I lost about 30 lbs. I just got two pairs of shorts, a pair of jeans and a few shirts. I figure this would be enough to help me get by for the next 10 or 15 lbs lost.
  • sianquin
    sianquin Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I got loads of stuff from ebay for next to nothing, they only new stuff i got was undies, gym clothes and some cheapy jammies i would imagine i'll be in this size for quite awhile now as i only have 12lb to loss and i'm focusing on toning instead of weight loss now.
  • knitbytes
    knitbytes Posts: 114
    Options
    I've been buying new clothes whenever I have a few extra dollars. A $10 t-shirt from Target every couple of weeks won't break the bank and helps me feel good about myself and my progress! Underwear is a necessity, too- when my current stuff is falling off of my butt, I need new ones, and they're not expensive so I pick up some in the next size down so I'm not uncomfortable all day.

Pants and skirts are my sore point- they're too expensive to just buy whenever I feel like it, but because I'm apple-shaped, once they're too big they look HORRIBLE and can fall right off of me, but belts are super uncomfortable because they have to cinch in my belly to hold the pants up. So far, I've been able to borrow some skirts for work from a friend and live with one pair of jeans and a few pairs of exercise pants/capris, but I'm quickly shrinking out of those skirts and I don't have a source for more in my current size. I HATE shopping for clothes at goodwill/other thrift stores- the clothes always smell weird to me and it makes me feel dirty- but I might have to.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I still have a lot of skinny clothes that I knew I'd wear someday again. :smile:
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I go when there 3$ a bag or if I do by new I get them cheep or a size or 2 smaller then I wear.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    2nd hand also some of the other members would probably more than happy to donate their too bigs. Theres an exchange site on MFP groups but its not very active.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    If things are literally falling off me, or if they look sloppy, especially for work clothes.

I need new work clothes so bad :(
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Right now about 90% of my clothes have come from thrift stores (not including my unmentionables of course). When I shrink out of one size, I donate those clothes and buy clothes in a smaller size, its the circle of life. My goal is to be either at goal weight or close enough by the end of August when a new outlet mall opens in my area so I can go on a massive shopping spree.