Ways to flush out system

Options
Right now, my digestive tract is moving sooo...slooowwww...

Things are taking at least a week to make it through even though I eat plenty of fiber. I'm working to increase my water intake, but is there anything else that anyone can suggest that might help "flush out" any backup?

Someone had suggested eating spicy food to "clear stuff out" but even if I was going to try it I have no tolerance at all for spicy. I mean, if there's even too much black pepper on something, I'm chugging a beverage like my mouth's on fire.

Replies

• neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Have you considered yogurt? I have a naturally slow moving digestive tract and that helps me a lot.
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    Sometimes when my digestive system I take Acidophilus tablets. You get them in the vitamin section of where ever. It works like yogurt, only faster. All the Acidophilus does is add good bacteria to your digestive system.
  • leanandmeanmachine
    Options
    I eat the "high Fiber" maple and brown sugar oatmeal for breakfast. By the time I get home from work, I'm running to the bathroom! It has to say "high fiber". Try this for about a week and let me know.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    See a good chiropractor. Mine pushes on my colon & I magically drop 2 lbs. It hurts like @#$%, but works :)
  • anewg
    anewg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, I took a quick peek at your food diary, and I think you need to try adding more fiber. You're close to the MFP recommendation, but I find that to be kind of low. I average 30-40 grams of fiber per day. Try adding more fruits and veggies and higher fiber whole grains. Not only will they speed up your system, but they are filling and most are low in calories. Good luck!
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Just took a quick look at your food diary. You could use a lot more fiber in your diet throughout the day. I noticed you get most of your fiber in the morning in your cereal.
    Try switching to a whole grain bread instead of white for your sandwiches and add some tomatoes and greens as well ( very few calories but good fiber source ). Switch out your cola for water or if you need a sugar boost, how about a healthy smoothy.--1/2 cup skim milk, 1/2 banana, 1/2 to 1 cup frozen strawberries.

My dietitian suggested that 25g of fiber a day is the bare minimum to maintain a healthy digestive track. Throw a handful of berries on your cereal, a baked sweet potato with the skin with supper, etc..

I used to have a terrible time with getting things moving, now that I have boosted my fiber intake, I am shocked at how much better everything is working.

Also, when I can,t make the fiber by the end of the day, I add a dose of Metamucil with psylium and water ( a suggestion from my dietitian )

Also, since I started walking every day, the process is even better.

Sorry to go on like this, but I soooo know where you are coming from as this is something that has vexed me for years.

Good luck!!!!
  • kmmschaefer
    kmmschaefer Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Cascara Segrada. At wal-mart or heath food stores it will get you going naturally
    Options
    grapes, raisins, all bran cereal, warm water, black coffee, fresh fruit, fresh veggies will all have a very positive afect on your situation. however if you want to get things moving more rapidly then eat prunes and prune juice. They don't taste the best but will 100% definitely flush your system out. If not i would consult your GP for an underlying issue.
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I changed my diary setting to have 25g of fiber - and that's been a big help in that department (if you hit it consistently) Make sure you're getting at least 8 glasses of water and try adding some yogurt.
  • vbanuelos88
    Options
    try eating a high fiber oatmeal breakfast with a good cup of coffee
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    one of my friends on here posted that she was going to do prune juice in hot water and lemon, which I thought is great idea, because it's natural.
  • eve180
    eve180 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal(rolled/ old fashioned), raisin bran, and frosted shredded wheat. Oh, believe it or not watermelon does it for me (a cup or two) and cantaloupe if you like fruit. I have been told 4oz of apple juice and 4 oz of prune juice. Drink it warm for best results.

Eve :bigsmile:
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Many women that have given birth suffer from a slow colon. Those kids just push everything out of wack. i use:

1: acidophilus tablets.
    2: Super Dieter's Tea
    3: Super Enzymes
    4: your standard sugar free Metamucil
  • JennaGermain
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions! I'll try these out and let you know how it goes!
    :flowerforyou:
  • browneyesbb89
    browneyesbb89 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I am not the only one who suffers from this problem. I always go over on my fiber on here but still have problems. Where do you go so I can make the change and up my fiber?
  • JennaGermain
    Options
    I am so glad I am not the only one who suffers from this problem. I always go over on my fiber on here but still have problems. Where do you go so I can make the change and up my fiber?

It's so funny! I just went back here to post this very question & you have asked it! I found where it lets me pick the categories to track but not where I can tell it how much to shoot for.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    metamucil has fiber.
    Dr Oz says that if your movement drops to the bottom of the toilet bowl then you have enough fiber in your diet. If it floats, then you need to add fiber.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I reset mine to 25 gram a day. I usually make it the 25 and sometimes go over.

The biggest thing is if you have dry fiber (like double fiber bread) then you need to drink extra water to "fluff it up" for lack of a better turn.

I agree with many of the other suggestions - the good bacteria from yogurts, coffee, whole fruits, veggies, lemon juice in hot water, whole grain hot cereals, and/or adding the fiber through a supplement.

Just be aware that the first few days of being on more fiber, you might have lots of gas and some discomfort as the fiber starts "cleaning you out" but that will pass (pardon the pun) soon enough. You could make a planned effort, if you are planning out your food ahead of time, to go up 1 gram a day until you get to the 25 plus limit,

My poop does sink most of the time. (I look to see because if it was good time to jump on the scale and get good news for a change) I didn't know that sinking poop was a good thing. Learn something new everyday here on MFP.
  • Lithuria
    Lithuria Posts: 132
    Options
    Have you tried one of those pro biotic yoghurt/yoghurt drinks? You can get them in fat free or light versions, and they can help with both digestive transit and your immune system (though you should check...some only do one or the other so make sure you get one that says it can aid with digestion). They're very yummy, so you can have one a day as a nice low cal treat and do your body a favour too :)

If yoghurt isn't your thing or you're on too restrictive a diet to factor it in, you can buy pouches of a powder containing the same micro organisms that you can sprinkle on your dinner, so there's a little something you can try too.
  • bumbalina
    bumbalina Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    LSA mix (Linseed and almond meal) from your health food store is great, I've had this problem for years and now add this to my foods like yogurt, smoothies, omlettes and into my dinners. It has no taste and is very gentle. I've never felt better, it also makes you feel a bit fuller at meal time. Good luck!