Am I doing it right?

Options
Hi, so ive been doing this whole weight loss thing since november and have so far lost 30lbs(slow and stready;)) I just feel as im taking in too many carbs so im wondering if someone can help me. Heres what i had to eat today (its mostly the same every day)

10am breakfast - speacial k w/ semi skimmed milk OR a shake (193kal and a banana)

12.30/1pm Lunch - Whole meal brown bread with ham, mustard and low fat mayo (sometimes salad)

3pm snack - porriage or belvita crackers

5pm snack - salted nuts or something on that line

6.30 dinner - grilled chicken with brown rice or tuna with boiled egg

today my daily intake of carbs is 181grams

Can anyone tell me if this is okay or what other snacks i can have that are low in carbs (brand names)

Replies

• MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    It wholly depends on what you are eating for. Are you exercising a lot? How much protein are you getting in?

If you are exercising you will need the carbs to fuel your workout and lots of protein for recovery. Not all carbs are the same either, although they are caloricly the same the foods that they are in have different nutrition attached. For example a sugar filled oatmeal (cinnamon brown sugar for example) has good fibre and carbs but also has a lot of refined sugar which isn't as good for you as having cooked steel cut oats with natural honey, walnuts and baked apple slices mixed in. So it's not just about how many carbs you get, its the quality of the food that it comes from and what that food also gives you.

If you want to lower your carbs try having some scrambled egg whites with some cheese with a small serving of hashbrowns and maybe some bacon if you don't mind the sodium and high fat.

For Lunch a 1/2 chicken breast with a lemon herb seasoning diced on a herb lettuce salad with some low-fat dressing and a handful of fruit is a great low carb option.

What I like to do for dinner is a 4-6oz sirloin steak with a cooked shredded rainbow salad or a side caesar salad without croutons but with freshly crisped, diced bacon.

Snap Peas, Cucumber Slices, Strawberries, Raspberries, carrots, apples, peaches, pears, etc as a heavier carb snack. Or one that I like is 2 skim mozza cheese sticks with 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt and homemade granola and dried cherries/cranberries. Another one that I like to do as a all day snacking is grapes, they are a deliciously mindless treat.

Protein should be .5-1g per lb of your goal weight at minimum as a side note. Hope you find the right options for yourself :)
  • kaiodedra123
    kaiodedra123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, im losing weight and trying to cut down from 210 (was 240) to 175. As for protein i am having about 80-100g a day?