Guilty! I've never ran on a treadmill before.

Options
So am I missing out on something?

I'll try to get 2 runs in a week, anywhere between 3-4 miles generally.

But am I missing out on something, training-wise?

Replies

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Boredom
    Sweating
    Heat

Nothing is better on a treadmill ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    just the boredom...dreadmills suck. I only use them when absolutely forced indoors...like pretty much the sky is falling but I still want to get my run in.
  • ArmandoG28
    ArmandoG28 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    easier on my ankles . im 280 so i kinda like jogging on teadmill more
  • janzia
    janzia Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I hate the treadmill and only use it when absolutely forced too. Honestly between the two I find running outside to be harder but I still like it better, the treadmill bores me to death.
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm staring at the rain coming down, wishing I could be running.

But I think I'll wait for the rain to just stop or let up a bit and have a nice wet run. I never think, well I could use the treadmill at the gym.

I wonder how many treadmillers think the exact opposite way - have never really ran outdoors?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Another outdoor runner here.......I used to train on my treadmill until I discovered the joy of running outside all year 'round. We go from -40C to +35C (and humid), the only thing guaranteed to keep me inside is freezing rain.

Not only is running outside more fun and interesting it provides you with a better workout.
  • janzia
    janzia Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I know there are plenty and they think I am crazy for preferring to run outside. Crazy thing is I own a treadmill so it would be easy to just use it while I know there are runners who actually drive to the gym to use the treadmill. I'll admit though the humidity has been killing me here and the treadmill has been tempting....
  • thatjeffsmith
    Options
    Anytime I visit my sis in Charlotte, the streets are packed with runners, so you're not alone!

Here in Raleigh (Cary actually), I try to run in the morning before it gets bad. But often times I'm running in the humid afternoon and just take it at an easier pace than normal.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Nope, treadmills SUCK!! I just joined a gym and had a free personal trainer session yesterday. Guy told me I had to warm up on the treadmill for 5 minutes. Bumped it up to 5 incline at 3.5, after 5 minutes I wasn't even breathing hard so he said we gotta go faster, bumped me up to 5 and left me there. I did a total of 12 minutes, felt like an eternity! Yeah I got warm but I was secretly hoping the machine would break :/
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I did all treadmill and didn't have a problem with it. Then I was introduced to running outside and holy cow was that a lot harder! But once I got used to it, I couldn't STAND running on the treadmill. It is way too hard on my joints, totally boring, and I almost get panicky from feeling trapped. I'd MUCH rather run in the rain!
  • thatjeffsmith
    Options
    Sounds like the personal trainer you had was super creative :noway:
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You're not missing a thing. When I injured my knee I had to run on the this treadmill that de-weights you at my physical therapists office. It was pure torture to go from a road runner to that. I will run in any type of weather....heat, rain, shine, snow, Hurricane Sandy (yes I went on a 11 mile run the morning it was rolling in). You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to a treadmill.
  • thatjeffsmith
    Options
    Thanks everyone for confirming my suspicions :)
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of taste. I have asthma and while what I'm on for it now finally cuts the mustard, I remember when it didn't. I don't want to go 'oh crap' two miles out from the apartment. My tastes run toward cranking the treadmill up to five miles an hour, cranking the music up, and mindlessly going until the music stops.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'm in Cary too, and this humid wet weather finally drove me to run on the treadmill for my last couple runs. But I ran a lot slower than when I'm outside, and it's a lot hotter and boring. I just had a hard time breathing with the humidity and it's so high even in the mornings when I usually run.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My #1 running goal for this year was very simple.

Run zero miles on the treadmill.

That's how much I love that torture device.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are boring, and I find that running on streets is a better workout anyway.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are great for creepin' on the homies in the weight room.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I did all treadmill and didn't have a problem with it. Then I was introduced to running outside and holy cow was that a lot harder! But once I got used to it, I couldn't STAND running on the treadmill. It is way too hard on my joints, totally boring, and I almost get panicky from feeling trapped. I'd MUCH rather run in the rain!

I'm in Winston, not too far away.
    I have to use the treadmill in spring and fall allergy seasons.
    Asthma is a b|tch.
    It sucks. Boring, boring, boring.
    I prefer to run outdoors, even though it kills my ankles and shins.
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Haven't ran a treadmill in a long time - if I'm at the gym now and want to do cardio I use the stair machine or walk the treadmill at max incline.