Do you do weight training at home?

Options
Hi all,

First off, I'm 52 and was completely out of shape in February when I started losing weight.

During my weight loss, the bulk of my exercise has been walking between 2 and 4 miles per day (4mph) on the treadmill. The more I read, the more I think I'd like to start doing some weight training.

My first interest was those flabby flaps under my arms, so I went to the store and got some 8 lb little weights and I'm making some progress with those.

But I'd like to do more. Do you follow a video? Have a weight bench? Follow a book? I know I'd have a lot more resources if I joined a gym, but I'm not ready yet. Plus I live out in the boonies, and it's much more convenient for me to do it at home.

So, do you have suggestions for me? Nothing crazy - I want to start small and work my way up.

Thanks!
H

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You can get used equipment for your home gym for cheap through Craigslist. Every guy and his brother has a weight bench and some rusty barbell plates in his garage.

As far as what to get, the best bang for your buck is some adjustable dumbbells to start, and if you get serious about lifting, an Olympic barbell and plates along with a power cage. The book Starting Strength discusses the necessary equipment, including even some directions on how to build your own power cage if you are handy with tools.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Hello

I use body weight strength training primarily. I have added 8 lb weights for the squats and lunges and am looking to increase that soon

A good place to start is Nerd Fitness
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to add my favorite: you can get a cheap pull-up bar that fits over your door frame (you don't have to mount it, it just hangs using leverage). I have an Iron Gym one that I picked up at a sports store, or you can get one online for about $20. That along with regular ol' push-ups can get you a long way towards building upper body and core strength.
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 3 days a week using Kelly Coffee-Myers DVD's. You just need hand weights, she make recommendations as to what size. I have 6 of her DVD's to change things up. I love her "Busting Plateaus! I have seen results. My son took a picture of me cross the finish line of a 5k this past Saturday and I was shocked when I saw the size of my quad, it's super impressive.

Good Luck!
  • bumblebums
    Options
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    For just starting out, I suggest a program you can buy off ebay for cheap from BeachBody. . .ChaLean Extreme. You'll want a bit more than 8lb weights, but it will give you a run through over 90 days of some good strength moves. You can adjust the weight as needed or even you resistance bands. I recommended that program to my mom when she was in her late 60s. She obviously modified it, but she made some definite improvements in her strength and stability.

Note. . .I am NOT a BeachBody sales person. I use that program about once a year to augment my distance running training and I just personally like it and think it's fairly effective.
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will begin to research these different options, and may come back with more questions.

Thank for taking the time to answer - we are all very busy and I wanted you to know I appreciate it!

H
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Get a hold of a copy of New Rules of Lifting For Women, it's made of awesome
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Options
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do body weight strength training at home three days per week. I use the Convict Conditioning program. No special equipment is needed until you progress to the point where you're doing pull ups.
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises are a pretty good place to start. I have a barbell and a couple of dumbbells that I use a bit as well. Arnold Schwarzenegger has put together a few programs of varying difficulty on https://www.fitocracy.com/arnold/

The barbell one is pretty good - it says you need a kettlebell, but I made do with holding a dumbbell by one end. Kettlebell swings are really good though, and I highly recommend them. The first bodyweight one is good for all over conditioning as well.
  • SavvyGurl0528
    SavvyGurl0528 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

This ... 3 x per week.
    I do body weight strength training at home three days per week. I use the Convict Conditioning program. No special equipment is needed until you progress to the point where you're doing pull ups.

And this, 2 x per week.

I have a botched together weight room in my garage. Dumbells, bar, benches, pull down bar ... everything I need for NROLFW.
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I started with two sets of dumbbells and a workout from Fitness magazine 14 years ago, then a short time later added a DVD (Kathy Smith) and another set of dumbbells. I've definitely added to that over the years, but I think Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to Lose Weight are a good place to start for an at home exerciser. They don't require a huge investment in terms of equipment, and she gives good instruction on form. There's room to grow, as you can start with lighter weights, and increase as you build up strength.

NROLFW is a good program, but it is a little harder to do at home, since it requires more equipment. Not to discourage you from doing it, just wanted to point that out.

Honestly, there are lots of options, as others have said. I think it comes down to what will work best for you. :)
  • janzia
    janzia Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yep I do. I much prefer it to a gym setting. I have about all the equipment I need and have lots of dvds. I've done some of the Kelly Coffey Myers ones and ChaLean Extreme both excellent but by no means the only ones out there. Right now I'm using kettlebells exclusively for my weight training and am loving it, I don't have to drag out a bunch of equipment and they are time efficient. There's a wonderful site called video fitness that has a very active forum and lots of reviews on various dvds if you would like more ideas.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    Yes.
  • LJP1982
    LJP1982 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For just starting out, I suggest a program you can buy off ebay for cheap from BeachBody. . .ChaLean Extreme. You'll want a bit more than 8lb weights, but it will give you a run through over 90 days of some good strength moves. You can adjust the weight as needed or even you resistance bands. I recommended that program to my mom when she was in her late 60s. She obviously modified it, but she made some definite improvements in her strength and stability.

Note. . .I am NOT a BeachBody sales person. I use that program about once a year to augment my distance running training and I just personally like it and think it's fairly effective.

I second Chalean Extreme. She teaches you proper form and really gets you strong fast. AND if you don't want to invest in dumbbells, you can use resistance bands that come with it. I bought a pair of 5-25 lb adjustable dumbbells on craigslist for $60 to do Chalean Extreme.
  • farkleberrypinerd
    Options
    Invest in a resistance band too! There's lots you can do with it :)