Can anyone help with a quick estimate please?

Options
Hi

I've just signed up for a gym today for "resistance training" and would like a very rough estimate of how many calories I can put down for a 30 minute session.

I know it won't be accurate so an underestimate is fine, I'd just like to feel I can add myself a few calories allowance to the days I go.

All I want to do is type in something like "My gym" and it come up with a calorie allowance like I do with walking.

Very new to gym stuff, so I can just tell you that there were 8 instruments of torture whose names I don't remember plus some floor exercises. 3 minutes at each station. LOL

I don't even know where to start looking to add the exercises in the strength training, so if anyone has a guestimate that would be fantastic.

I'm 127lb and 5'2 if that's relevant, and on pretty gentle settings cos I'm just starting out.

Thanks, in hopes :-)

Replies

• avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I think most people use "circurt training,general"

I think it's a little high for the burn so I don't eat back all those calories.
  • joyhealey
    joyhealey Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi

Thanks very much :-)

I'll let it include the walk to and from the gym to make sure I keep well inside!

Joy
  • avababy05
    Options
    I log my walk separately.Take credit for every minute of exercise!
  • mile626
    mile626 Posts: 29
    Options
    For someone your size, 30 minutes of moderate circuit training would burn between 275 to 375 calories.
  • avababy05
    Options
    That sounds about right.Went back and checked my diaries

I'm 5'1 131 and 30 minutes is 240.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    when did people start inputting circuit training for resistance training? there's a category called "strength training, weight training" that most people use. or so i thought. circuit training is if you're not resting between sets or doing cardio alongside your lifts
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "resistance training" - is that using machine like circuit training., or is this weights, or bands with squats, etc. Was your heart rate (HR) elevated, most the time? so it was more like cardio/HIIT, or was it more weight training with lower a HR.
    The best way to get a calorie count is to use a HRM like polar for class, strength training workouts.
    If your HR was elevated to 85% of max you will burn more calories - say about 100 calories per 10 minutes - and this is usually with actives like running, kickboxing, HIIT- so i disagree with the above people that said 240-350? as an example, when I run a 9:30 minute mile for 3 miles, which is about 28 minutes - I burn about 300 calories.

When I weight train - for 20 minutes I usually burn about 70 calories, unless I do intervals with jumping rope, mountain climbers, or some sort or HIIT between sets.

When I goggled it this came up and I think from experience it is more correct : http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/caloriesburned/weight_lifting/result?weightPounds=140&duration=20&activity=&met=6.0&submit=

One thing to remember is weight lifting develops lean muscle so it enables your body to burn more calories, so it's great to mix it up, but it's not equal to high cardio burns.

I would say based on a moderate effort level that you burned 115 -125 calories for 30 minutes.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I enter it in as strength training.
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    strength training..
    circuit training would be things like P90x and 30 day shred.. way too high of a calorie burn for strength training.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    If it is a circuit with no breaks, it would be about the same as running. The more breaks, the lower the burn.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

MFP is notorious for seriously overestimating calorie burns. I would not eat back all the calories if you are using MFP as your source for how many calories your activities are "worth". I usually do half. I've seen people say half, some 2/3; just be careful if you eat them all back, and if you aren't losing, reassess.
  • milohansen
    Options
    Not sure about the estimate, but I would think that circuit training would burn about the same calories as moderate bicycling (and you get the muscle building bonus). To add exercises simply go to the "strength training" area of the exercise page and click on "add exercise" type in the exercise that you are looking for and, in most cases, something close (or maybe even the exact exercise) will pop up. The good news is that, if the exercise that you are looking for is not there you can create it yourself. go to "my exercises" located on the bar below the main tabs on the exercise page. From there you will find a "create exercise" green button on the right. You can name your exercises whatever you want, and if you choose "strength training" you can enter the weight used, the reps done, and the number of sets completed. The nice thing about creating your own exercises is, once you've created them, they are compiled into a list and you can just check them off the next time you do them. They are saved in your exercise list once you've created them. Hope this helps......:wink:
  • avababy05
    Options

MFP is notorious for seriously overestimating calorie burns. I would not eat back all the calories if you are using MFP as your source for how many calories your activities are "worth". I usually do half. I've seen people say half, some 2/3; just be careful if you eat them all back, and if you aren't losing, reassess.

I don't eat back calories most of the time.I know it's not accurate.There really isn't a way to record exactly what I do for a workout.It's kind of a crazy combination of things.
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    when did people start inputting circuit training for resistance training? there's a category called "strength training, weight training" that most people use. or so i thought. circuit training is if you're not resting between sets or doing cardio alongside your lifts

This... I use strength training to log calorie burn when I do weight machines, free weights or mat work without cardio mixed in. I will use circuit training for classes like Barre 3 where it is a ton of resistance exercises back-to-back plus cardio. I feel confident that my Barre class burns that amount... and I'm sure that logging weight work as circuit training would be overkill.