Half Marathon training question

Options
hg5159
hg5159 Posts: 76 Member
I am all signed up for my first half-marathon in September. I'm really looking forward to it !:happy:

I'm starting my offical training now, although I've been running for over a year. I've done several 5K races and I've been increasing my regular running distances to anywhere from 6 - 10 miles when I run long.

I'm trying to decide if I should use the Hal Higdon Novice 2 or Intermediate training plan. Both appeal to me. Probably more so the intermediate plan since I've already run 8-10 miles several times. I don't really want to run shorter just to follow a plan.

My question is basically whether or not I can swap one of the 3 mile run days for a cross training day. I like that the Novice 2 plan has a day for cross training - biking or swiming or even elliptical. The intermediate plan doen't have that. It's not that I don't like to run, but I see the benefit of having a cross training day. Or would it make more sense to follow Novice 2 but perhaps use the long run distances from the intermediate plan?

I'm probably thinking too much about this. LOL

I'd love some opinions from more experienced runners! :)

Replies

• msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert or super experienced runner (I have run 2 halfs), but I don't see a problem if you wanted to do it as a cross training day. I used a couple different programs as my guide and did what worked with my schedule. Those training programs are guides...
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Swapping a run for cross training is a bad idea UNLESS doing that run will cause you to get injured OR UNLESS you have no real goal for improvement.

Running more improves your running ability better than cross training.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If you are that experienced a runner, swap the 3 mile day for a 5 mile day, or 6.

Running more will help your perform better in a running race.
  • havoboril
    havoboril Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first half exactly one month ago today. It was awesome! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
    I personally think if you've already run up to 10 miles several times, I don't think swapping one running day for cross training would be a problem. I think Hal Higdon goes up to 10 anyways right? My plan was up to 12 miles three weeks before which I liked. I like what CarsonRuns says, just swap out a shorter run day with a longer one.
    Like you, I always did 5K's and stuff by never really made it past 5 miles on a good day. I remember running 6 once and being sooo excited :) So I had lots of training to do and kept with the 3 times per week, long runs on the weekend, and strength training on non-running days. To be honest, I didn't like training very much. But it was worth it when I crossed that finish line!
    Now of course I'm thinking of my next half, or MAYBE a full, don't know yet :)
    Good luck!
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    As with most topics here, you'll get a variety of opinions on this.   :)   I'm not familiar with the specifics of the plan you're looking at, but if there is NO cross-training built into it, there are some very good reasons to add it. Most of it has to do with preventing injury, but I'll leave it to my pals at the Marathon Training Academy podcast to explain it better than I can. Probably not a good idea to toss out a planned run day, but if your plan has you running four days, then you could add some cross training on a couple of the off days.

http://marathontrainingacademy.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-cross-training
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    If you are that experienced a runner, swap the 3 mile day for a 5 mile day, or 6.

Running more will help your perform better in a running race.

I agree with Carson. I just started a marathon training plan (Yay, first marathon) and this first week called for an 8 mile run on the weekend. I just finished a half marathon plan at the beginning of June that had me running up to 16 miles and I've done 13+ so many times this year that I sort of shrugged at starting with 8 and ran a full 13.1 Sunday. I finished in just over 1:55 and I wasn't that sore from the run at all. I attribute that to running more miles and more miles and not to cross training.

I did an easy 7.5 today instead of the easy 5 in the schedule. The schedule is building the long run up each week. 10 next week, then 12, then 13. I'm already past that point and it's sort of working against my goals to run less to meet a plan. Once this plan ramps up to where I'm currently running at and the pace is faster I'll have to stick to the schedule more closely but for now I'll keep the floor where it's at.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Repeat after me: training plans are guidelines, not gospel. They are simply numbers on a page, they don't know if you are feeling bad (cut your run short!) or feeling great (a few extra miles never hurt anyone...).

If your long run is currently 10 miles, then you should NOT drop it just to follow the plan. If you daily runs are 5 or 6 miles, no need to run 3 or 4 based on the plan. Bottom line, it's ok to pick and choose the best from both plans.

I agree with a focus on running over cross training unless you are having injury issues.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

My question is basically whether or not I can swap one of the 3 mile run days for a cross training day.

Why not do both?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    For the experienced runners:

I am wondering if it is ok to keep on doing what I have been doing. I started running in April, did 1 5.2 k race in june and am nowfollowing a 10K plan (sunday long, tues speed/hills, thurs tempo and sat easy). Right now my long run is 8K but working on getting it longer. I go to a running club on tuesdays with very experienced runners and we alternate between speed intervals on track, trail and hills.
    I am also addicted to step aerobics (I started step in feb) and do classes mon, weds, friday/ I do circuit with weights class on tuesday, a weight lifting class on thursday and boot camp on saturdays. I sometimes do kick boxing on thursdays and 2 step classes on wednesdays.
    I don't want to give up either activity and I am not hurting that much though I have a mild case of runner's knee.

Is this way too much?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I don't want to give up either activity and I am not hurting that much though I have a mild case of runner's knee.

Is this way too much?

A mild case can turn into something that hurts while you run if you don't ease up on something. I get issues too and it's quite normal to have sore muscles or feet that ache to some point but when i start getting noticeable issues I first drop anything speed related and then if that doesn't seem to help I would add in more total rest days till I see that it's getting better.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I used the intermediate last year. I didn't do any cross training but Higdon in his breakdown of the program says that if for injury prevention or because you enjoy it sub it for one of the easy runs. It comes down to what feels right for you.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    For the experienced runners:

I am wondering if it is ok to keep on doing what I have been doing. I started running in April, did 1 5.2 k race in june and am nowfollowing a 10K plan (sunday long, tues speed/hills, thurs tempo and sat easy). Right now my long run is 8K but working on getting it longer. I go to a running club on tuesdays with very experienced runners and we alternate between speed intervals on track, trail and hills.
    I am also addicted to step aerobics (I started step in feb) and do classes mon, weds, friday/ I do circuit with weights class on tuesday, a weight lifting class on thursday and boot camp on saturdays. I sometimes do kick boxing on thursdays and 2 step classes on wednesdays.

Is this way too much?

Considering the cross training and the intensity of it, I would forego the speed work session and do an easy run that day. Also, maybe back off on the tempo until the dodgy knee feels better.
  • aussiesarah
    aussiesarah Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    While I completely agree that you should do whatever works for you, I have personally found that incorporating strength training has really improved my running times and decreased my injuries. So I certainly don't think cross training is a bad idea.;

I ran my first half about 3 years ago in 2:06 and have finished 4 more since then and reduced my PB down to 1:47. During that time I've been weight training 2-3 times per week (while running 2-4 days per week) and I have significantly increased my leg and core strength. I also used to get terrible shin splints which often stopped me running for weeks on end however (touch wood) they seem to have gone away now.

Good luck with the training!
  • katy_ziats
    katy_ziats Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You are not over thinking this... running is so much more than most people think.

I use those plans as "guides" for my plan and I also ask my former cross country coach questions.

I do not think it is any problem throwing in cross training if that is what you want.

Best of Luck to you!
  • luv2run
    luv2run Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yay, congratulations, I have hal higdons book and was just looking at the training plans, It has you running 3 miles 3x a week so I wouldn't think swapping one of those for cross training would be a big deal but the plan has 2 rest days a week and unless you really need both days I would swap a rest day for cross training before I gave up a running day, but I don't really like to cross train either when I am training for a race I usually just do some strength training right after my runs, squats, lunges, push ups, crunches, and some different planks.

Good luck on your training and your half marathon!!
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options

I'm trying to decide if I should use the Hal Higdon Novice 2 or Intermediate training plan. Both appeal to me. Probably more so the intermediate plan since I've already run 8-10 miles several times. I don't really want to run shorter just to follow a plan.

My question is basically whether or not I can swap one of the 3 mile run days for a cross training day. I like that the Novice 2 plan has a day for cross training - biking or swiming or even elliptical. The intermediate plan doen't have that. It's not that I don't like to run, but I see the benefit of having a cross training day. Or would it make more sense to follow Novice 2 but perhaps use the long run distances from the intermediate plan?

I did that for my last half marathon and PR'd by more than 10 minutes - used the Hal Higdon Intermediate and swapped out a shorter run each week for cross training (circuit strength training). Worked just fine for me!
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    While I completely agree that you should do whatever works for you, I have personally found that incorporating strength training has really improved my running times and decreased my injuries. So I certainly don't think cross training is a bad idea.;

I ran my first half about 3 years ago in 2:06 and have finished 4 more since then and reduced my PB down to 1:47. During that time I've been weight training 2-3 times per week (while running 2-4 days per week) and I have significantly increased my leg and core strength. I also used to get terrible shin splints which often stopped me running for weeks on end however (touch wood) they seem to have gone away now.

Good luck with the training!

That's the benefit of strength training for runners. It allows us to continue to train consistently. That' what develops the aerobic fitness and provides us with the fitness necessary to run new PRs. That, and fitness is a culmination of distance run over time, and by time I don't mean minutes and hours, but weeks, months and years.