low carbing due to underactive thyroid

Options
Hi, I managed to lose a couple of stone using mfp last year with basic calorie counting and exercise. After a change in meds I put most back on, I'm now back to original meds but last year's regime no longer works so I'm low carbing and looking for help, friends and inspiration!!!

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Hi, hon !

I did South Beach years ago, lost 45 pounds and kept it off ..... now I'm chipping away at another 10+ pounds ...... out of habit I still eat "beachy" which is a reasonable amount of lean proteins, lots of fresh/frozen veg, some fruit, a bit of dairy, and very little sugar, breads, pasta ........

My eating is mostly ok ...... but occasionally like a rollercoaster, especially when I hang out with my sister :drinker:

We are works in progress, all of us !
  • hannah1011z
    hannah1011z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I understand. Most of my meals(on normal occasions other then the last two days that have been 95-105degreez in which i barely eat lol) i eat a lean meat such as baked chicken breast or ground pork in a salad. I like to have a chicken salad and a ground pork salad for either lunch and the other for dinner. Im also trying to cut out most bad carbs/sugars/fat ect and thinking about looking into southbeach. Im at 1200-1300 calories a day which ive heard is a good calorie amount so who knows. My diets gonna be wierd until thursday when i go grocery shopping though. Probably gonna grab premade salads cause its too hott to cook
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have done low carb in the past and sucessfully lost weight. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked for weight loss as I have aged, hormonally, etc. I STILL eat low carb because it is what keeps me on a calorie controled diet. It controls my hunger, lean protein is very satisfying and I find I get the most from those calories. Fat calories have the same effect - but i watch them because they are so calorie laden. I am probably quite sensitive to carbs also. A handful of Bugles the other night and a half of a hamburger bun and I was STARVING the next morning...
    One way to find out if you are sensitive is to limit your carbs for awhile and slowly add them back in: if you are like me you can tell if you are getting the carb "rebound".

Good luck.