Females Only! hunger during period?

Options
Gosh, I just want to eat a lot of food! I get extra hungry when I'm on it :( can someone help me? Question is, should I just listen to my body and eat as I wish? I am still trying to lose weight though :(

Replies

• shirleygirl1013
    shirleygirl1013 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There is no wrong way to handle this. However, if you blow your diet every month for 5-7 days it will hold you back in my opinion. For me, I crave sweets on my period. So I make sure to add extra fruit during that time and even chocolate but they work within my caloric goals. also, if you feel like it you can try to exercise more so it balances things out more. Good luck! Dieting isn't easy especially when the hormones get going.
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i had a hysterectomy in january and i STILL have PMS every month! I want to eat everything in sight. i try to drink extra water, and if i'm craving chocolate (which i usually am) i will drink a slim fast.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I get hungrier a few days before. Last week I felt like I could eat my shoe. I just kept a few extra protein bars on hand - they are sweet and chewy and filling and they really help me get through those few days.

7396232.png
  • gmmendenhall
    gmmendenhall Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Not hungrier necessarily. I find my emotions are all over the place and I am an emotional eater, but especially sweets. I know during that time I need to add in the calories (even if it means an extra run on the treadmill) for a soda or candy bar. It gets more depressing when I retain water and the scale either stays the same for a solid week or even goes up some. That definitely plays with my mind and makes me think "why bother?" but then when the scale drops 3.5 pounds a week later, I remember why I bother :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I get hungrier a few days to a week beforehand. For me, it's almost always breads and cereals that I crave. I usually give in a bit, 200-300 calories but I also work out a bit more as well. You aren't alone but I suggest you exercise as much will power as possible since it was eating as we wished that got us to where we are now. It's a bummer that our bodies go through so many hormonal changes over the course of each month, presenting us with more emotional and physical hurdles than our male counterparts but it is what it is.
  • whitneysin
    whitneysin Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Someone posted that women burn more cals during our periods, but it's probably not a significant amount. I get a bunch of 100 cal packs of cheetos and m&ms and if I go over on calories I just work out a little more.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I get hungrier a few days to a week beforehand. For me, it's almost always breads and cereals that I crave. I usually give in a bit, 200-300 calories but I also work out a bit more as well. You aren't alone but I suggest you exercise as much will power as possible since it was eating as we wished that got us to where we are now. It's a bummer that our bodies go through so many hormonal changes over the course of each month, presenting us with more emotional and physical hurdles than our male counterparts but it is what it is.

I do the same. Try to exercise more and allow myself 200 - 300 extra cals during those days.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    For me it's the few days beforehand, and maybe the first day or two of "The Visit." I try to eat protein since it's more filling.

It helps me a great deal to keep some grilled marinaded chicken breasts in the fridge. There's no thought or time required, just reach in and grab a piece. Instant gratification. :D
  • hollygparr
    hollygparr Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Go through it! I felt this way in the past but after day 1 the hunger stopped. If you ignore it it WILL go away. I went on the exercise bike and ignored it.
  • lcransaw
    lcransaw Posts: 95
    Options
    I read an article and it listed what minerals and vitamins your body is craving when you crave certain junk food. Personally, I use to eat toll house cookies and icecream, and a lot of it when I was pmsing. But now, I know that the extra calories are not worth it, because I know I won't exercise when I am in pain. So, I try to fight the urge to eat poorly during that time. I try as much as possible to stay on my routine and make it through. Everyone is different, but I know that if I allow myself to slip back into those horrible habits, I will not stop. Maybe substitute fat free fudge pops for a chocolate craving, and some salted almonds for crunchy, salty craving. I also found some cocoa powdered almonds at Sam's...love them! Good Luck!
  • R55T
    R55T Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite. That's when I don't want to eat or exercise. I just want to laze in bed . . . PMS is when it really gets me . . . not for food though but for beer. I guess it's because my emotions are all over the place thus

Still need to get a major grip on myself. Thanks for sharing y'all. :flowerforyou: Will keep trying till I get pass this.
  • Christina8585
    Christina8585 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Every month, I play a game called hungry hungry hippo... And I'm the HIPPO! Oh crap do I ever get cravings. I sometimes gain up to 9 lbs in water weight and then If I'm lucky, after that monthly fiasco is over, I'll loose a pound or two if I still work out and eat healthy, but yes, sadly I can't control my sticky hippo fingers and I tend to binge...ugh!:sad:
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Tell about it! I got my first period 'cravings' the other day for two years (after being pregnant and breastfeeding). I had no idea why I was wanting to hunt down and scoff every chocolate flavoured thing in the house then I realised it was because I was on my period. So while my other half sat there teasing me with a huge slice of chocolate cake I reminded myself over and over that I had already exceeded my calorie goal for the day and how good it would feel to have lost more weight at the end of the week.

Last night I added some evening snacks into my diary in the morning so I knew when the cravings struck I would have some leeway and still be within my calorie goal for the day.
  • gracikle
    gracikle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    my favourite things- if im' craving sweet things- i cut a banana in half stick an icepop stick in it dip it in dark low sugar or diabetic melted chocolate let it harden then dip it in yogurt and freeze it then sort of knaw on it like some mental pmt ridden dog with a bone.

i also sometimes will have a little bowl of a couple of spoons of honey to dip it in. its really satisfying and can do other things like rolling in coconute for a frozen chocolate coconut bar :)

- if its savoury im craving i get popocorn with chese flavouring sprinkled on it. i find its more about getting the hit of taste i'm craving then i can happily have some plain pasta or something with other calories to feel 'full' its sort of a mix and match to mangae it. i definatly have a day a months where i struggle to stop eating 24/7.

so long as you are mindfull and kep writing it down logic will help to manage it (but not the pms or scattiness unfortunately i've found - this month lost my keys and a necklace and my phone in one day:) ) good luck xx
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I just want to eat a lot of food! I get extra hungry when I'm on it :( can someone help me? Question is, should I just listen to my body and eat as I wish? I am still trying to lose weight though :(

I know exactly what you mean! And it's awful!!!! :(

Definitely keep as close to your calorie goals as possible and keep yourself active. Eat lots of low calorie foods (think veggies). And if you crave chocolate eat up dark chocolate no less than 70% cacao.

I hope this helps! it's helped me!
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i hear you i started eating at maintenance during my TOM (medication induced) and keep up the exercise and all then after it i get back to chopping and usually drop 5+ lbs the next week
  • Vx3_
    Vx3_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm on mines now and had so much junk its ridiculous! Its difficult but doable
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Some months I have no appetite during that week. Some months, I want to eat everything in sight. I usually give myself a little leeway if I'm hungry, but I try not to go overboard.
  • trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I belong to the crowd that is ravenous a day or so before... decent warning sign that I'm due, but a pain all the same. I suggest eating as much greens as you can (and yes I know this is probably not what you're craving). If you load up on kale, spinach, and/or other greens it can help keep you full, keep the bloating down as well as replenish some of the minerals you'll be losing at this time. It's also crazy low cal so you can treat yourself to some extra chocolate (I say extra because I already it eat nearly daily), bread or whatever you're craving.
    Going over 100 cal won't bust you... but exercise is a natural cramp reliever!
  • jipsybird
    jipsybird Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I usually get extra hungry within a week before my period. Usually chocolate. I love dark chocolate! However, I understand that the chocolate cravings come from a need for more magnesium, which can be satisfied with squash or peanuts. I will usually allow myself some indulgence, but it takes some willpower to stop once I've started!