please I need help !

ok so I am 18 and living in Egypt and next year am going to college . I want to start eating healthy but the problem I can't cook veggies AT ALL and I cant buy those expensive fancy ingredients cause either they are expensive as I mentioned or they are un available here so please please please I need help on how to cook veggies in a healthy and easy way

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Why can't you cook veggies? I've been to Egypt (great country, BTW). They sold vegetables in markets the same as everywhere else. You don't have to cook vegetables in a fancy way. Just blanch them -- boil some water, then put sliced or chopped vegetables in it for 1-2 minutes or so. Or stir fry with a little water or oil on top of the stove.
  • @hollisgrant well whenever I try boiling or blanching them they end up tasting awful so I would appreciate any recipes
    P.S : you have got a beautiful collie :heart:
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    my favorite way to make veggies is roast them. I put them on a baking sheet, drizzle olive oil salt and pepper and roast in the oven for about 15 min. LOVE IT
  • Juelz2013
    Juelz2013 Posts: 33
    I wouldn't cook veggies in any oil cause when oil hits a certain temp it turns into an unhealthy fat. I would use a nonstick pan and use a little liquid like organic veggie broth or water. When the liquid is hot add cut up veggies, like Kale which is super healthy, brocoli, zucchini, and you can add chopped onions and garlic for extra flavour. Cook for 2-3 minutes. If you want you can drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil and sprinkle a tiny bit of sea salt and pepper! but do not add the oils to any left over veggies unless you plan on eating them cold later.
  • boolz
    boolz Posts: 61 Member
    Two cheap and easy suggestions (good for when it's too hot to turn on the oven:

1) steaming: get a small vegetable steamer, they only cost a few dollars. Put veggies in the steamer, steamer in a stove top pan, an inch of water in the bottom of the pan and clse. Set heat at a low boil for a few minutes ( test for your preferences of doneness

2) grilling. Either on an outdoor grill or a grill pan on the stove top. Spritz with a little oil, then cook savory vegetables at high heat. My favorite is a mix of onion, bell pepper (red, orange or yellow) mushrooms, zucchini. You can put them on sticks for kebabs, or just have them loose, cut chunky. When they are close to done, through in some chicken or other meat and you've got a very tasty and nutritious meal, I also sometimes cook as many veggies as my grill pan will hold and then use the left overs for the next few days. You can reheat or add to pita sandwiches or add to salads.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    What kind of kitchen facilities do you have? Veggies I like to slice thickly and roast ( like eggplant, green squash, red onion, fennel, mushroom, caulifloer, etc) just brush with a little olive oil, sprinkle with crushed dried herbs ( or fresh), garlic, and thick salt. Or you can braise them in small amount of oil. Or stew: layer in a pot eggplant and /or squash cubes and/or green beans, tomato cubes, garlic, salt , pepper, a little olive oil. Repeat 3- 4 layers, then cook for about an hour. Good hot or cold. Vegetables do no it have to be boring and tasteless
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    I wouldn't cook veggies in any oil cause when oil hits a certain temp it turns into an unhealthy fat. I would use a nonstick pan and use a little liquid like organic veggie broth or water. When the liquid is hot add cut up veggies, like Kale which is super healthy, brocoli, zucchini, and you can add chopped onions and garlic for extra flavour. When cooked if you want you can drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil and sprinkle a tiny bit of sea salt and pepper!

That is not true of all oils. Only cook with olive oil, coconut oil or butter as they have higher smoke points. Use salt, pepper and spices to make them more interesting.

And to the inevitable "saturated fats are evil" reply, if you don't know by now that saturated fat does not cause heart disease, then you need to get googling.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    @hollisgrant well whenever I try boiling or blanching them they end up tasting awful so I would appreciate any recipes
    P.S : you have got a beautiful collie :heart:

Thanks, my collie is a rescue dog and the love of my life. Happy cooking. Some other people have posted some great suggestions you can try.
  • Mystic_Potato
    Mystic_Potato Posts: 57 Member
    What are the vegetables you like and/or have access to?
    I cam give you a few specific recipes for them.
    Also I do a low of raw veg with humus yum
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    The steaming idea is probably the simplest and I think that keeps the flavour well.
    I regularly roast veg, especially root veg. I never add any oils, sprays or anything. Just clean, cut, put on roasting tray and cook till soft/browned enough.
    Doing soups is an easy way too. Whatever youve got in some water with herbs/spices depending on your taste. If you can blend then that's good. But if not available I just simmer them till they're so soft they pretty much melt in the mouth!
    Enjoy!
  • Juelz2013
    Juelz2013 Posts: 33
    Still I think it's safer to add the oils after, if you are going to add any at all! Roasting veggies the way JennetteMac does is a great way as well :)
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Still I think it's safer to add the oils after, if you are going to add any at all! Roasting veggies the way JennetteMac does is a great way as well :)

Definitely better to cook without fat, if you can :-) but there are some safe fats to cook with, that's all.
  • @suzzanelin88 I have access to zucchini , string beans , peas .carrots .cabbage . broccoli . cauliflower and potatoes
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    As long as tomatoes were involved, I'd be gorging myself on that list! I'm close to the border of Minnesota and North Dakota in the United States, which is basically upper Midwest farm country... and I cook like it. Start looking up casserole and hotdish recipes and there will be tons of things you can change to make healthier if not make as they are.
  • Mystic_Potato
    Mystic_Potato Posts: 57 Member
    @suzzanelin88 I have access to zucchini , string beans , peas .carrots .cabbage . broccoli . cauliflower and potatoes

OK, zucchini is awesome. You can roast it (with out without oil), sauté, steam, grill, deep fry (not very healthy) or even cover it with a damp paper towel and microwave it! It has such a lovely mild flavor you can season it with most flavors: Greek seasonings, lemon pepper, classic dill, a little salt and pepper, really most things you like. You can use a little gadget and cut it into noodles (I have yet to try that), Gratiing it it can be cooked like potato pancakes (I am vegan so I use silken tofu to bind instead of eggs), it can be added to stir fry, curries, soups.... the list is endless.

String beans are also very versatile, I find them best with the ends popped off and blanched lightly. They pair well with a little bit of slivered almonds. But they also go well in stirfrys and curries.

Peas, fresh peas, are best if cooked on the stove in a little (few tablespoons) of water, a little minced onion and a tiny bit of butter (or butter substitute) on the stove top for a few minutes.

I add carrots to many things. They are great raw, or roasted, sautéed and they are one of the best in a stirfry.

Broccoli - I love it raw. Also good in stir frys. You can blanch (add to boiling water for just 5 minutes and cool down in ice immediately). It seasons well with a little lemon, soy sauce! You can even microwave it just like the zucchini.

Potatoes, too many ways and cooking ideas to list! They are the most versatile food, but more of a starch than a vegetable. Wrap in foil and bake, cube and cook in a pan, boil and mash, shred and bake or pan fry... I often cube them and add a little to curries that are mostly beans and other veggies. Sweet and white can be treated the same.

Hope that helps a little. Feel free to message me with any questions.
    Cabbage is great in a slaw. It is a very popular stirfry item and cabbage makes awesome soups. I have several recipes that are great and very healthy (my favorite is a version that pairs cabbage with lentils)
  • @suzannelin88 thank u very much and I thin I will msg u for recipes only ladies how many serving of vieggies do u recommend