HELP: Diets like the south beach diet, need weightloss!

Options
I was wondering who here has seen success from things like the south beach diet? Also, what are really effective ways youve lost weight by? I dont really lose much weight at all so im going to see what more i could do. im gonna try drinking a glass of lemon water each day also? Ive heard that works good as well..I drink about 5 of my 24oz water bottles a day of water. if you look at my food chart disreguard the last two days because its been so hot my eatings went kinda nuts, but ive still stayed by my calorie goal of 1200. HELPPP :) Thanks

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I was wondering who here has seen success from things like the south beach diet? Also, what are really effective ways youve lost weight by? I dont really lose much weight at all so im going to see what more i could do. im gonna try drinking a glass of lemon water each day also? Ive heard that works good as well..I drink about 5 of my 24oz water bottles a day of water. if you look at my food chart disreguard the last two days because its been so hot my eatings went kinda nuts, but ive still stayed by my calorie goal of 1200. HELPPP :) Thanks

Every diet works exactly the same, a caloric deficit
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

Every diet works exactly the same, a caloric deficit

What he said... diets are pretty much eating at a deficit no matter how you plan to get to that deficit.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Something like phase 2 of South Beach can be, I think, a healthful eating plan. Focusing your eating around veggies, protein, healthy fats and fruits and complex carbs is a good way to feel satiated and get all of your needed macros, fiber, micronutrients, etc. You'll probably feel a little better if you eat that way vs eating all junk. But, you're not going to lose weight measurably faster than if you ate the exact same number of calories of any other foods. Focus on your calorie deficit first (making sure that it's appropriate; please forgive me for assuming but from your ticker it looks like you have almost 200lbs to lose? 1200 is probably way too low for you unless you're under a doctor's supervision), macros second, and let everything else fall into place, and the weight will come off. If there's anything I've learned, it's that trying all these gimmicks and little tips and tricks and "diet plans" doesn't do much but lead to frustration because it's not working as fast as it claimed it would.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, it's the calorie deficit that helps.
    I personally chose South Beach Diet because I liked how simple it is. You plan for a week and pick your meals from a list, buy what you need, and cook the meals you chose. I've had pretty good success with it, as long as I stayed with it.
    Don't forget some sort of physical activity. That's also a major part of weight loss and maintenance.
    Good luck!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Eat less, do more. There's no secret diet, pill, food, or supplement. You have to put in the work, learn to eat properly and change your lifestyle for the rest of your life. Unless you think living on South Beach for the rest of your days is what you want to do then I wouldn't even start it.

I know you aren't eating the exercise calories back from your diary but what are you doing that you assume burns 3,000 calories?
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary. Normally I don't say anything concerning another's foods, but are you nuts? You are way under your calorie allowance, your meals are all over the place. You blood sugar must be confused even though you are not a diabetic. Talk to a nutritionist or go out to the American heart or diatetic association and read what a balanced diet is. Do the beach it is better than the way your are eating now. Sorry to be so harsh, you are young and now is a great time for you to learn and get things under control. Don't spend your life jumping around from one crazy diet to another. Please.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you doing to burn over 3000 calories a day in exercise? 0_o
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not good at sticking to diets, especially those that require restricting foods or food groups. I'm not really all that good at calorie counting as I hate to measure or weigh food.

I've had the most success with exercise. Burn enough to create a deficit works best for me. The fact that it keeps me from sagging is a nice perk.
  • hannah1011z
    hannah1011z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Im not sure how much i burn, all i do is put in the excersizes i do and it calculates it for me. I do the insanity work out, swim laps, play and swim in the pool for fun atleast an hour a day, ummmmmm and I have a toddler so im constantly on my feet playing kickball or cleaning or cooking ect.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Im not sure how much i burn, all i do is put in the excersizes i do and it calculates it for me. I do the insanity work out, swim laps, play and swim in the pool for fun atleast an hour a day, ummmmmm and I have a toddler so im constantly on my feet playing kickball or cleaning or cooking ect.

If you do all that regularly, you could eat a LOT and still lose weight.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the above posters, how are you burning that many extra calories? Are you sure that's accurate. And if you're logging everything you're eating, you need to fix that ASAP. You're supposed to NET more than 1200 calories a day, calculate your BMR and NET it, no less. One day you ate 320?! Other days you're actually netting negative calories. This isn't healthy.
  • hannah1011z
    Options
    I almost feel like theres something wrong with me. I eat super healthy. I stick to 1200-1300 calories a day, stay at or under my carb goal, and dont eat sweets. An occasional glass of 1% milk or a soda but otherwise stay steady at lots of water, and im always moving. I dont know anyone of my friends that do all of what i do and they lose weight faster and are all like skinny. Its really frustrating.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of questioning your food logging too. 1 ounce of chicken, 2 ounces of pork. Are you weighing this or guessing? 1 ounce of chicken breast is almost nothing. If you don't have a food scale I'd suggest getting one and being sure you are logging food correctly.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of questioning your food logging too. 1 ounce of chicken, 2 ounces of pork. Are you weighing this or guessing? 1 ounce of chicken breast is almost nothing. If you don't have a food scale I'd suggest getting one and being sure you are logging food correctly.

Exactly. And honestly with the amount of food you're eating, it's not healthy. I second the food scale. Try 4 oz min.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I almost feel like theres something wrong with me. I eat super healthy. I stick to 1200-1300 calories a day, stay at or under my carb goal, and dont eat sweets. An occasional glass of 1% milk or a soda but otherwise stay steady at lots of water, and im always moving. I dont know anyone of my friends that do all of what i do and they lose weight faster and are all like skinny. Its really frustrating.

Well.... I went back 2 months in your diary and you consistently are logging ice cream sandwiches (sometimes for breakfast) and sometimes up to 3 cans of soda nearly every day that you did log... Fast food... As well as one week where you ate lot of of Ramen noodles, which aren't exactly nutritious.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say you eat very healthy, no sweets and very few sodas?
  • hannah1011z
    Options
    i havent eaten roman in a long time. and stopped drinking soda for the most part. and the ice cream is Skinny cow ice creamsanwhiches
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    OP, after some further thought and looking more closely at your diary I'm going to go ahead and change my answer to recommending that you see a nutritionist if at ALL possible. We all have bad days and bad habits that we can't give up. That's fine and understandable, few people get to the point of needing to lose weight with perfect or near-perfect eating habits. But your claims that you're eating "super healthy" make me worried for you. Actually, following something like South Beach might be very good for you, as it has recommended minimums for vegetable servings, protein and healthy fats, which I think would really benefit you.

Like PPs, I would also recommend that you get a food scale (if you don't already have one) and be really, really, really honest with yourself about your activity levels. Once you're really confident that you're accurately gauging your activity, figure out your TDEE, cut 20-30% off of that, and make that your calorie goal. Search these forums if you need more help. If you really do have 200lbs to lose, you can probably go up to 30% less than TDEE (even though most advice recommends cutting 20% or less), but I wouldn't exceed that. You'll find you're happier, have more energy, and may even lose the weight more quickly.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm going to +1 the need to see a nutritionist. I'm not sure what's pushing you to eat almost nothing other than ice cream and lettuce with salsa on top, but it isn't healthy and there are much more effective ways to get what you want.
  • Senalj
    Senalj Posts: 11
    Options
    I, too, did Insanity, and if you follow the calorie guidelines at the beginning of the nutrition guide, you'll lose weight. You aren't eating enough. If you're working out and moving constantly, you have to eat more. It even says so in the Insanity nutrition guide, which is why they up the caloric intake during the second phase. If you eat more, you'll see the weight fall off. I know it's hard - I struggled with the same thing - but you can't sustain your bodily function eating 1200 calories a day and working out at the intensity Insanity demands. If you don't have an HRM (heart rate monitor), you should invest in one. That way you'll know exactly how many calories you are burning in all of your activities, especially Insanity. During the second phase, I was burning over 1000 calories in some workouts! I was eating almost 2500 calories a day and the weight was falling off. Before you get discouraged, you should try following the eating plan in the nutrition guide. If you do the calculation and eat the amount of calories it tells you to, you'll see the weight fall off.
  • bcattoes
    Options

If you feel like something is wrong with you, see a doctor.