C25K App recommendations

Options
Can anyone recommend a good C25K app for the iPhone? I have downloaded a couple but haven't picked one to commit to. Right now I walk briskly 3-4 miles about 5 days a week and will add running to my walk (ie: run to end of the street or run through a song). I would like one that I can listen to my music and that will tell me when to walk and when to run. I would also prefer a free app. Some of them I have downloaded will only give you the first 4 wks free and then you pay. I don't mind paying if it is worth it. Thanks!

Replies

• jlynneh91
    jlynneh91 Posts: 15
    Options
    I used C25K free (by Zen Labs) on my iPhone. Yes I could listen to my music and it told me what to do along the way.
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention what device you have. I have an Android so this may not apply.

There is an official C25K app you can get linked to straight from their site. It has good ratings so I assume it's probably good. It's not free though. (Available for iphone and android)

I use "A HIIT Interval Timer" on my android. It's just a little free custom built app that you can create intervals. I tried about half a dozen free apps and I liked this one best, though it still has its flaws. But hey, it's free. And I can do more than just C25k with it.
  • Nightterror218
    Nightterror218 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    i use C25k Lite (on android and free)

its free and has all 9 weeks. All i do is play music on phone and then start the app so I have some tunes to listen too.
  • amyschlemma
    amyschlemma Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, I have and iPhone.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've used podcasts rather than apps before, both NHS and Chubby Jones are good:

* http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
    * http://chubbyjones.libsyn.com/category/podcasts

But interested to see what phone apps are good too. Thinking of trying Zombie's, Run! for a bit of a change.
  • RedsknU2
    RedsknU2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use Zombies RUN! on my iPhone, but they have an Android app as well. Makes thinkgs a little more interesting than the couch to 5K for me. You work through a storyline where you are training to be a runner in a Zombie Apocolypse world. When the narrator isn't talking, you hear whatever playlist you have programmed.

I like it!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I have an Android and use the free one by Zen Labs. Someone posted earlier that they have it with their iphone. I'm pleased with it so far and have several of my friends using it, too.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I use the free app from Zen Labs as well. You are supposed to be able to listen to music over it although I do not. I like listening to the birds and not getting run over by cars (curvy, hilly country roads).
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I use simple C25K. I can play it, Runtastic (to track how far I ran) and my music at the same time. It just beeps when it's time to switch so as not to interrupt the music much.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I use Double Run
  • janzia
    janzia Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I used 0 to 5K and loved it although if you ever think you would like to run more than that I highly recommend the 0 to 10K over it because the first half of it is the 5k one anyways. I could run with my music. It wasn't free but it was worth every penny. Another app that I highly recommend is Stretch Guru for runners. I use it after every run and you can customize the length and the stretches you do. It's important to get those stretches in!
  • sam45890
    sam45890 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love run keeper, it's free and it comes with lots of different training plans.
  • Cannon_G
    Cannon_G Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started with the Galloway Easy 5k app from lolo for my iphone and then when I finished it I moved up to the 10k app and then the half app. Galloway does a run/walk/run method and you can import songs from your itunes library into the app. I started at 306lbs and in terrible shape doing 16 minute miles. A year later I am down 115 pounds and finished a 5k a few weeks ago in 22:04. I cross train so it's not all the Galloway app but his program kept me injury free when I started.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I used C25K free (by Zen Labs) on my iPhone. Yes I could listen to my music and it told me what to do along the way.
    I used this same one - worked great for me!
  • amyschlemma
    amyschlemma Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the stretch app suggestion! I never know if I am doing enough :)