Suggestions to Curb appetite when stressed or upset

Options
Does anyone have any good suggestions on how not to resort to eating when you get mad or upset about something? I cant seem to shake this habit and it is holding me back from my goals. Stress has become a daily occurance it seems and my only comfort is a cup of coffee and whatever is in the pantry. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Had a rough morning and resorted to a starbucks Venti Iced Carmel Macciahto and a Large Charley's bacon three cheese steak with gourmet fries. HELP!

Replies

• Tandksmommy10
    Options
    I'm sure you've heard it 100 times. Drink, drink, drink- WATER! Aside from keeping you full, so you don't have those hunger pangs, it will be good for your body in times of stress. They say you usually break out (with acne) when stressed or upset, and drinking lots of extra water will keep your pores clear so it's doing double duty!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    You can do what I do...clean. If I get mad I take my frustrations out on the house - which is great in more ways than one.

You could also resort to working out instead of eating. If you feel the urge to eat, slip on your shoes and go for a walk, pop in a dvd, jump on the treadmill - whatever it is that you do to workout. You'll feel so much better afterwards.
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Well seeing that I not only baked but ate 3/4 a pan of brownies in the last day and a half I could use all the help anyone could give too.
  • aharmeson
    Options
    Good suggestions! I have a membership at one of those 24hr fitness places maybe i will just start heading there when I feel like eating.
  • ememfrick
    Options
    I experience the same thing, for me I also reach for snacks when I'm bored. Maybe you can find something to do, something to keep you busy, something engaging that you really enjoy. Today, has been really stressful for me too, instead of reaching for snacks I went for an errand. Other things that keep me occupied is playing around with Photoshop or surfing the internet. Or the best thing to do is go for a walk, you can walk off your stress and get some exercise in. If you really can't shake the urge to get goodies grab small servings and drink a lot of water with it.

Good luck!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Two great appetite suppressants, EXERCISE, take it out on a treadmill to some loud music, or if it is comfort thing, switch to herbal tea. It suppresses appetite and comforts. If not a herbal tea, a weaker black tea with LF milk. Or in case of emerg get some sugar free hot chocolate. I don't love fake sugars but I alow for some when I need a treat. Or I make my own hot choc w coco and stevia(natural).
    Sorry your feeling low. Last time I was there I blogged it out. It took a couple of blogs but I got it out of my head.
    Best wishes,
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    I go out into the garden and prune it senseless... well, actually, I do that when I'm happy too!

Think about whether your reaction is to do with your mouth, your hands or getting away from the situation (so in your current case, going to the pantry or Starbucks or wherever).

If it's about consuming things, then find something healthier to eat, but that you feel is just as "naughty" - say nuts or something, that you can pop in your mouth one by one and chew.

If it's about occupying your hands, try getting a big blob of blu-tak or something and shaping it, then crushing it mercilessly back into a blob. I find trying to make a perfect cube quite therapeutic.

If, on the other hand, it's about taking a break from the stressful situation, why not just go for a quick walk round the office/block or go to the bathroom?
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    The best way I take out my frustrations is I pop in my favorite Kickboxing DVD and have at it for a 36 minute Kickboxing Circuit training session. It works wonders for me!
  • LauraAkaTigger
    LauraAkaTigger Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I put on my favourite song, put the leads on my 2 dogs and take my frusration out on the road power walking!!! Load a couple of songs that can't fail to put you in good humour and use them to get some
    fresh air!!!

Great music and fresh air with a lovely hot shower and comfy pjs after ( if it's the evening) always sorts me out!!!
    If it's really bad pick up some fat free hot chocolate and enjoy in your pjs too!!!

Works for me!!!
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Saunya and I'm an emotional eater, haha.
    This is what I have learned to do when stressed or when I want to eat my emotions.
    1. Find something else physical to do that doesn't involve chewing, and Stay away from my cupboards!
    It could be going out for a walk, go and finding a friend to talk to about what's bugging me, going to the library.
    2. Write about emotions if you have absolutely no one to talk to or you're afraid they would think you were a freak for feeling the way you do.
    3. Pray - not only is it good for you but it calms you down, they have done brain studies on it and found that it reduces stress.
    4. If you don't pray learn to meditate or you can use the two together. Meditation is also a natural way to decrease stress. - Meditation might not help the immediate mood of anger/stress but over the long term it will help you react less to stress, and learn to cope because the way your mind starts working is different.
    5. Take a bath, the warm water &, horizontal position helps your parasympathetic nervous system and you relax and it combats all the stress chemicals released in your body.
    6. Get mad! Go find a field, either drive there or walk there and let it all out, Stomp around, Holler, Tell the air and the birds why you're mad, get it all out. (If you can't find a field go to a graveyard and do it.) I know that might sound creepy, but if you're afraid of being seen people will just think you're grieving.
    7. Realize that when you Eat your Stress or your Anger you are only Punishing yourself, You're not punishing the person that made you mad, or stressed.
    8. Talk it out with someone, I think that sometimes we're really meant to talk out our problems instead of pushing them down. We're social creatures by nature and we're meant to have that support naturally.
    9. Stomp. I stomp when I get mad, I stomp around my house or if something is pissing me off inside, I go outside for a walk and stomp, Tai - Chi recommends a form of stomp to break up negative chi (energy) so I figured it would work if I got mad and it does.
    10. Realize that this to will soon pass. Is it really worth giving all your attention to? If not get it out and LET it GO!
    11. Do something about it in a healthy way and do not let it control you.
    12. Research stress busters. There's a ton of info out there on how to deal with stress naturally, and it will distract your mind from what's stressing you out.

Goodluck!
  • caroeden
    caroeden Posts: 31
    Options
    first, get a tall. you don't need a venti macchiato, ever. and if you are doing it simply to soothe yourself, then just the tall should suffice. breaking yourself of the habit is a hard thing to do (she says as she dove into her chicken salad not 20 minutes ago because her computer was being stupid) but really no one EVER needs a venti anything at SBUX. if you need the caff then just add an extra shot of espresso. (also fries are the devil - i love them but for god's sake why must i eat them ALL)

so there's that.

secondly, weight watchers has a very good saying "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels" now, you have to apply it to your own life and your own situation. i have to say to myself... because dang it, i really wanted to run to the store and get some chocolate instead of tearing into my lunch early (which was a much better choice), is the chocolate really going to make me feel better? - if my brain says YES YES GET THE CHOCOLATE!! then i say - how long is that feeling going to last? is it really going to be the solution? or is it just a bandage for what is wrong? if i do this is what is REALLY going to happen is am i going to feel worse, because i put all that gross stuff into my body, AND i just put myself one step back on some excellent progress?

and yes, a lot of the time now i really do go through these thoughts. stress/emotional eating can be just like overcoming an addiction. also you can try some stress reduction. i use one by andrew johnson that you can get on mp3 for like .89 on amazon.mp3 (or as an app if that's the way you go). it works wonders.

realize that you will still slip - and don't let that get to you. (that makes it a vicious cycle) but make sure when you do, you make healthier choices. that in it of itself may even make it less appealing.

boy that was rambling - hope that helps!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions! I have a membership at one of those 24hr fitness places maybe i will just start heading there when I feel like eating.

DEFINITELY! If you can go workout, that is the best option, I think. Even if it is just a long walk. Like someone else mentioned about taking it out on the treadmill. Put on some of your favorite music and go for it.
  • aharmeson
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has Replied to this post. I cant say how much it helps.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    1. Drink water (equivalent to a 1 pint bottle) before each meal.

2. Pray. I saw where someone else had posted this, but she is right- it has been proven to reduce stress.

3. Write it down. Get a pen and pad and just write- consistently, nonstop, and randomly. It helps.

4. Chew gum. No-sugar gum, to be exact.

5. Exercise. Stand in place and do squats. Feel free to transform in to Serena Williams and make ridiculous noises while you do it if that is what you need in order to relieve stress.

6. Are you married? If so, have sex- it works wonders. =)

7. Eat GRAPES and ALMONDS. I cup of red seedless grapes is only 100 calories and will calm that craving (even if only for a short period of time). Almonds (14 to be exact) can be filling, as well. They are higher in calories, but a good alternative if you don't want grapes.

Hope this helps!
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    9. Stomp. I stomp when I get mad, I stomp around my house or if something is pissing me off inside, I go outside for a walk and stomp, Tai - Chi recommends a form of stomp to break up negative chi (energy) so I figured it would work if I got mad and it does.

I forgot about that! Yes, I am 32 going on 3. If I'm at home, I will actually cross my arms and stomp too, whilst informing my husband that I'm having a stampy-footy tantrum. If it's good enough for my toddler to vent her anger and frustration, it's good enough for me... just not in public.

I also talk to my mirror. Everything that I would have said or could have said, gets said to the mirror, just to get it off my chest - without worrying people about my sanity.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Got a picture of the offending person or thing? Get a good strong box (shoe size), put in a few bouncy water balloons (not filled to popping level) to add weight, stuff with news paper and tape it shut good and tight. Tape the picture on the outside. Take it outside and drop kick it. Drop kick it until it falls apart. Kick it around in the garage, kick it around the track... get the idea? Better than putting holes in the walls or holes in your stomach from ulcers. By the time you are done killing that box its dinner time.

Oh, don't do this one at work. They will call the nice guys in the white coats to come give you one of the huggie jackets of your own.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    When I'm stressed I will:

~Listen to Music
    ~Drink Coffee
    ~Surf the Net
    ~Take a Hot Shower/Bath
    ~Paint My Nails
    ~Take a Ride
    ~Make Some Jewelry

p.s. I drink a Venti, but just their verona blend, plain, with a bit of skim milk & equal :)