Fit Bit Vs. Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I have had a fit bit for 6 months, and I love it. However, I recently got a heart rate monitor, mostly to make sure I am in my heart rate training zone during workouts. But I have been comparing the calorie estimations and fit bit is far less than my heart rate monitor. (This morning I actually calculated the difference, which was 160 less calories burned according to fit bit). Does any one know which is more accurate, I would tend to believe the heart rate monitor but I don't want to start thinking I can eat more and then begin to gain weight.

Any information would be helpful, Thank you!

Replies

• rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I believe your fitbit will be more accurate on a day to day basis while the HRM will be more accurate during cardio sessions.
  • RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose or simply maintaining? If you are in maintenance and your weight has been solid and steady then I would continue to eat what the FitBit says as it will tell you your daily movements versus your workout. Try adding 100 calories a week and if you weight stays steady you can always up it the difference the following week. Figuring out just how many calories your body needs is unfortunately trial and error. Good luck!
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I've been thinking of getting one or the other.

So you wear the fit bit all day?
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I wear my FitBit all day every day and sleep with it as well. I have a heart rate monitor only for double-checking my treadmill workouts and my weight-lifting, and so far it's accurate +/- 5 calories. I'm not concerned about 5 calories!
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue with FitBit and RunKeeper. The calories that RunKeeper calculates for my bike rides is over twice as much as FitBit (I enter the activity manually since FitBit does not calculate calories for biking). The solution I have come up with is to enter the RunKeeper calories into FitBit rather than using FitBit's automatic calculation.

But I don't understand why FitBit's calculations are so far off.
  • mmjensen2010
    mmjensen2010 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you for the good ideas. I am just trying to maintain, give or take 2-3 pounds. I think I will still use what fitbit says and only enter the calories from the heart rate monitor for biking, strength training, and kickboxing.
  • jwill113
    jwill113 Posts: 3
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a Heart Rate Monitor to me? I recently purchased a Pyle Sports PHRNM38PN but I cannot even get the time set. What do you all think?
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Ultra, a HRM and a Body Media. The Body Media is the most accurate. FitBit was not accurate - how could I walk over 100 steps while driving or sleeping.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have a polar f6. It's my third polar and I've liked all of them. I'm technologically impaired, but I was able to program it with a minimum of fuss. It has more functions than I need, but it's easy to use. If it's like the others I've had, it should last a good long while.