Quorn "chicken" fillets and pieces

Options
Hello,

I want to start bringing my own lunches into work as the healthy options are pretty thin on the ground and I'm getting annoyed with eating the same thing over and over. Has anyone made any salads using the meat alternative Quorn? I'm thinking the fillets might be nice chopped up into a salad of some kind...Any ideas?

Thanks

Replies

• betsyemerson
    betsyemerson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    personal fave: chopped"chicken", dried cranberries, goat cheese, and Honey mustard dressing over baby spinach and whatever other veggies you like. You only need a little of the cheese and cranberries too. For a HM dressing, I surprise myself by actually liking a "light" dressing. Ken's Lite Honey Mustard is actually really really good.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I have and I didn't like them - really disappointing! But they might be worth a try.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    personal fave: chopped"chicken", dried cranberries, goat cheese, and Honey mustard dressing over baby spinach and whatever other veggies you like. You only need a little of the cheese and cranberries too. For a HM dressing, I surprise myself by actually liking a "light" dressing. Ken's Lite Honey Mustard is actually really really good.
    That sounds pretty good, thanks for the tip!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The quorn sticky fillets are really nice cold with salads or they do a 'Roast Style Sliced Fillets', 99 cals for half a pack, which are ready to eat that I often have for lunch (3 for 2 in Tesco at the moment), good with Ainsley Harriot ready flavoured couscous, around 190 cals for half a pack (2 for £1 in Tesco at the moment) and salad.

The regular quorn chicken style pieces aren't great cold.

(Can you tell I've just ordered my shopping online!)
  • javajunco
    javajunco Posts: 81
    Options
    Love them. I prefer to use the naked cutlets and cut them up, the texture seems better to me, for some reason, than the ones that come as bits. Naked cutlets are awesome for work and for hot nights when you don't want to turn the oven on, because they cook just as nicely in the microwave as they do in the oven. I use them on sandwiches and in salads and by themselves.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I use them for salads and on bagels all the time! My fave is spiced quorn and chick pea couscous salad! Super yummy, super easy to make and got loads of protein :) I have to search for the recipe though...
  • babydiego87
    Options
    I use them for salads and on bagels all the time! My fave is spiced quorn and chick pea couscous salad! Super yummy, super easy to make and got loads of protein :) I have to search for the recipe though...
    please do, that sounds great
  • babydiego87
    Options
    The quorn sticky fillets are really nice cold with salads or they do a 'Roast Style Sliced Fillets', 99 cals for half a pack, which are ready to eat that I often have for lunch (3 for 2 in Tesco at the moment), good with Ainsley Harriot ready flavoured couscous, around 190 cals for half a pack (2 for £1 in Tesco at the moment) and salad.

The regular quorn chicken style pieces aren't great cold.

(Can you tell I've just ordered my shopping online!)
    thanks for the tip!!! ill do a shop tomorrow :happy:
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    please do, that sounds great

Ingredients :
    For the quorn:
    1 pack o quorn chicken style pieces
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp coriander
    1/2 tsp Paprika
    1 lemon, juiced

For the couscous and chick pea salad:
    1/2 red onion, finely chopped
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp coriander
    350 ml vegetable stock
    1 tin chick peas, drained
    Chopped parsley to taste
    2 tbsp olive oil (I usually use one or none)
    2000 couscous
    Salt and pepper to taste

(you can also add cinnamon to both but I don't like that)

Place the spices and lemon juice in a bowl and whisk together, add the chicken style pieces and marinate for at least 30 min when the quorn is already thawed (I usually put the still frozen pieces in and keep the Mix in the fridge over night)

Prepare the couscous by adding the hot vegetable stock

Stir in the spices

Stir in the chick peas, onion, quorn (you could heat this up first but you really don't have to) and chopped parsley

Tastes great, both hot and cold!