What to take on a picnic?

Options
I'm taking my boy to the zoo for the first time this Friday (So excited! I love the zoo!) with my partner and my sister, and seeing as the cafes are always full & so expensive, it makes sense to take a picnic!

But all I can think off is taking some rolls with various fillings.

All of them will pretty much eat anything, except a cold pasta dish, but seeing as it is gonna be quite warm and I don't have anything to keep it cool, it needs to be something that will stay good for quite a few hours.

Anyone have any ideas, please & thank you! :)

Replies

• Gel_W
    Gel_W Posts: 20
    Options
    Anyone?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with wholemeal rolls with fillings, but you could always make a quinoa, tuna, egg or bean salad. Add some fruit and veggies sticks. Maybe some peanut butter or hummus for dipping. Just get one of those softside insulated bags with the freezer inserts and keeping things cool shouldn't be a problem.

Backed chicken is good cold. Or cut up to use for sandwiches.
  • Gel_W
    Gel_W Posts: 20
    Options
    Cold chicken sounds fab.

Great ideas thank you!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Freeze your drinks and use them to keep your food cold (leave/create a little room in the bottles to allow for expansion). If they don't like pasta salad, how about tabouli? You could make hummus or other bean dip, with veggies, crackers, pretzel thins, and/or pita triangles (crisp or soft) for dipping. Deviled eggs are nice on picnics, too. Baguettes and cheese, with grapes. Fruit salad. Turkey (or other) sausage with mustard for dipping.

I love picnics!