Too much stevia?

Options
Hey all!

I have a question about stevia. I usually use it several times a day (the all natural powder from the health food store). I have heard that stevia can affect your blood sugar and cause you to feel lightheaded and dizzy. I do sometimes feel lightheaded, and am wondering if it could be because of too much stevia? How much stevia do you feel is too much per day? I am going to try to start just using it two times per day.

Rachel

Replies

• littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Stevia is suppose to be safe for diabetics so I don't think it would be affecting your blood sugar. I have used it for years, a few packets daily and have not felt any side effects. What can cause a flux in your sugar is caffeine some people are sensitive to it over time, especially if having a coffee and not eating right away it will do that to you.
  • sunfirelynn
    sunfirelynn Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I use 6 of them every morning, that's what my doc wanted me to use . I don't have any problems with it.
  • 123tryingtobefree
    Options
    Stevia is a safe product that comes from a plant ^^
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It generally is pretty good for you, but if you are worried that you are getting side effects from it, stop using it so often - limit your intake.

However, I have never heard what you are saying, and I think because you have heard it, your body is playing tricks on you because you're worrying! :flowerforyou:
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    Does anyone know if stevia spikes insulin the way sugar/carbs do?
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and when I began using it tested my glucose after consuming it in things to make sure that the claim it was safe for diabetics applied to me specifically , so I did check my sugar for about 2 weeks and it didn't change anything in my readings.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Stevia has no impact on your blood sugar.

Look at your diet more carefully and see if there is something else that might be causing you a problem.

Or are you dehydrated perhaps?

Lacking salts (elecrolyte imbalance)? these things can also make you lightheaded.
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    I am diabetic and when I began using it tested my glucose after consuming it in things to make sure that the claim it was safe for diabetics applied to me specifically , so I did check my sugar for about 2 weeks and it didn't change anything in my readings.

Thanks! It doesn't have any adverse affects on myself, and i rarely use it, only in a cuppa but I just wondered if it did the whole spike insulin=fat storage thing. I am a total sugar addict though when it comes to chocolate and cakes! I'm on day 2 of seeing how i cope without sugar(just for the fun of it). So far I feel ok.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There are some studies that suggest that stevia actually helps your body regulate your blood sugars. I would see a doctor if it persists. Are you getting enough to eat? Fueling your workouts appropriately? Undereating is more likely to cause dizziness than stevia.
  • Spazgirl0228
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the replies! I do think part of the problem could be dehydration. Also, I have been trying to eat low cal, so that could also be affecting me. MFP recommends me 1200 calories a day, so I am trying to stick to that, but maybe it's just too low for me. I am still going to try to cut down on my stevia intake and just limit to 2x per day.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    YES! Stevia made me EXTREMELY dizzy after using it for a week. One day my husband had to catch me because I almost fell into the street when we were walking. I went to the doctor thinking there was something horribly wrong with me but everything checked out fine. It wasn't until I started looking at what was eating, that I pinpointed the problem. I think some people are more sensitive to it.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    Honey and Stevia are the best forms of sugar so you're on the right track :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Cyanide also comes from a plant, as does arsenic. Just because it comes from a plant doesn't mean it's safe.
  • astrovivi
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the replies! I do think part of the problem could be dehydration. Also, I have been trying to eat low cal, so that could also be affecting me. MFP recommends me 1200 calories a day, so I am trying to stick to that, but maybe it's just too low for me. I am still going to try to cut down on my stevia intake and just limit to 2x per day.

ok I think you've just answered your own question.

dehydration ... drink more fluids ... :)

1200kcals? very likely to be way below what you should be eating.

What are your stats (height, weight etc now)?
    You should not use mfp's guidelines to work out your macros.

First work out your basal metabolic rate (BMR) under which you should NEVER eat (it's the base kcals required just to keep you alive).
    then work out your TDEE (total daily expenditure that factors in your activity levels - you can use the formulas or roughly weight in lbs x 16).

then, if looking to lose a little bit, try TDEE - 15% as a starting deficit. Try that for 2 weeks and see how you go. then reassess if you need to raise them again (if losing too fast) or lower it slightly (if no progress).

Set your protein minimum set to around 2g per kg bodyweight
    Set your fat minimum to around 1g-1.5g per kg body weight
    The rest is carbs.

Make sure you hit your mins for protein and fats and off you go.

to work out TDEE, BMR etc this site is helpful: www.iifym.com

you are welcome
  • astrovivi
    Options
    Cyanide also comes from a plant, as does arsenic. Just because it comes from a plant doesn't mean it's safe.

Stevia is an innocuous herb. it has been used as a sweetening agent for thousands of years. It's fine.
    It does not contain any sugars of any kind and does not impact blood sugar or anything.
  • Woodrow1234
    Woodrow1234 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Lots of manufacturers add things that are fillers and/or aid them in processing and you might be reacting to that. The stuff that you're buying probably is not the full stevia leaf, but rather an extract of one of the 'sweet' compounds in it.

Suggestion if you like things sweet...I've been growing my own for a couple of years and it is easy. It's MUCH cheaper and you get the full benefit of the stevia leaves instead of just the extract. If you ever want to try growing it, most nurseries will have the correct variety of plant available. You can also buy seeds, and I've grown them successfully both inside and out. Just dry the leaves when you're ready, grind to powder if you want to. You can also press juice direct from the leaves instead of drying them.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    I'd guess it's more likely that you are under eating or not drinking enough water. Stevia shouldn't be affecting you that way, but lack of food would.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate what has been said: Stevia is generally a safe alternative to sugar for diabetics. I know that some people are sensitive to it. It does not affect blood sugars.

I've been using Stevia for quite a few years. I grow the plant in one of my gardens to make my own herbal tea blends. I also use the clear liquid. I probably use it on average-once a day.

I do hope that you're feeling better.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    As everyone says...it's perfectly safe and a better alternative for diabetics because it does not contain any carbohydrates. Personally I can't stomach the strong licorice flavor, but if you are able it's nice for some sweetness.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Stevia is an innocuous herb. it has been used as a sweetening agent for thousands of years. It's fine.
    It does not contain any sugars of any kind and does not impact blood sugar or anything.
    You missed the point. The fact that it comes from a plant means nothing. Plenty of healthy things come from plants, and even more poisonous things come from plants. Plenty of healthy things that don't come from plants, as well. The fact that stevia is fine for consumption has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it is a plant.