Lower Abs exercises?

Options
jktin08
jktin08 Posts: 62 Member
What are the best exercises to help tone lower abs please? I already do reverse crunches and leg lifts.I am looking to add a few new and very effective lower abs moves to my cardio/light weight lifting/calisthenics to tone up. Thanks :)

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I recommend having a look at the New Rules of Lifting for Women book. Not necessarily for the exercises but for the discussion of the core musculature. Their point in that book is that your core is not designed for isolation work of the kind that crunches give you; the abs' job is to keep your core straight and erect. So you can achieve a pretty good looking, well-defined core without doing any crunches at all, or any exercises that specifically target the "lower" abs vs. the "higher" ones. Just do exercises that strengthen your core--be it Pilates, Yoga, regular body weight calisthenics (esp. planks and such), or compound lifts such as power squats or deadlifts.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    "lower" abs kinda don't exist. but it is one of the last places to shed body fat. if you want a better lower stomach area you're going to have to get your bodyfat lower via calorie deficit and resistance training
  • GettinSwoler
    Options
    unfortunately that only goes with lower %bf
    you can do a variety of ab exercises that would streghten your abdomen overall

i personally do knee raises, cruches, incline sit ups etc and that is, just like bumblebums said, basically additional core workout to my routine
    you'd want to do that if you don't want a ****ty looking stomach after you lose the fat
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The most recent thing i heard about abs is that they are a function of low body fat not any exercise in particular. good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Hanging leg raises and planks on a swiss ball
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I always did reverse crunches and hanging leg raises for lower abs.

When I first start doing them i thought it would work the entire abs, but a day later after doing 4 sets to failure my lower abs were sore. The ab wheel and standard crunches make my upper abs sore.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. Its genetic where you lose it.

That being said, you won't see ripped abs when your bodyfat lowers if your muscles aren't developed.
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Leg throws are great. My kid helps me out .. makes it more fun. http://youtu.be/_WkbYH2V-3o

Planking, crunches, leg lifts/scissors and also swimming with a fin. I got nice results from these exercises, feeling stronger in the core area.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    In and outs
    Pendulums
    Hanging Knee Raise
    Metronome
    Knee Tucks

These will help strengthen your abs / core.

8488541.png
  • jktin08
    jktin08 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all who answered :) Good info!
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    Planks!!!! Planks!!! Planks!!!!
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Heels to the heavens... leg raises... leg scissors.... full Monty.... windshield wipers
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    What are the best exercises to help tone lower abs please? I already do reverse crunches and leg lifts.I am looking to add a few new and very effective lower abs moves to my cardio/light weight lifting/calisthenics to tone up. Thanks :)
    Box jumps! Try doing 100 and see how your lower abs feel the next day or two. And you get cardio to boot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition