Help! What am I doing wrong with my diet?

Options
Hi, I appreciate any help that can be provided. Since, I have joined myfitnesspal, I have found it impossible to eat my full 1200 calorie allotment without going over either my fat, sugar, or protein. Usually, I have 100-200 left but I don't eat them because I am afraid of going over either the protein, fat, or sugar. If anyone has time to look at my diary and suggest where maybe I could make some smart substitutions or if it is better to go over my protein and fat in order to hit my calories or it is better to be under calorie but in line with my protein and fat. I have been doing well on my diet. I have lost approximately 24 lbs since April and I have about 10 to go, and I have just started adding exercise to help increase my calories as well. However, I am starting to get hungry and frustrated. I don't want to end up setting myself up for a fall.

Thanks, Shirley

Replies

• refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I would suggest adjusting your macros. You are going over your protein because you protein goal is not very high. As for sugars, I don't pay as much attention to that because when I eat fruit it has natural sugar, but it still has major health benefits for my body. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) you are supposed to eat 1g of protein per 1lb of lean body mass.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    As long as I stay under my calorie goal, I lose weight. I'm always over the sugar count.
  • YouCanCallMeRon
    YouCanCallMeRon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Those are just ballpark figures. You don't need to nail them on the head. Just get close. And going over your protein goal is never a problem. Think of the protein number as the minimum amount that you should get each day, not the maximum amount.
  • shirleygirl1013
    shirleygirl1013 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the help. I think that I am beating myself in the head taking things too literally. I ate 900 calories one day and was going to make myself dry wheat toast to hit my limit and I was starving but opted against it because I would be over on my protein. The fruit thing is the most frustrating. Fruit is the one thing that I look forward to most and one serving brings me over for the whole day. I am going to ignore that too because I always have plenty of carbs left.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Protein amounts are a suggestion, it's actually a really good idea to go over in this category, especially if you're active.

Unless you have a medical condition that forces you to watch sugar intake, I wouldn't worry about going over on this micronutrient (be more conscious of the macro - carbs) as long as most of the sugar is coming from natural sources.
    Sugar from fruits and veg are paired with other good things like fiber which help them digest slowly plus they're full of vitamins. I'm also a huge fan of fruit and don't even bother to track my sugar. I'm more concerned about sodium intake and would rather have that on my diary.

As far as your fat goes, just try to keep them healthy.

Best of luck!
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Your macro ratios could be better in my opinion.

You're successfully losing weight because you have a caloric deficit, but because of your low protein... a good portion of that weight loss is likely muscle. Protein is arguably the most important macro.

Try different ratios to see what works for you, but a popular one to start with is:

40% protein
    30% fat
    30% carbs

If I'm low on anything at the end of the day, I would pick carbs. That's not to say you should keep them as low as possible, but if I go over on protein or fat... it's the carbs I sacrifice to keep me under my calorie goal.
  • shirleygirl1013
    shirleygirl1013 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I agree. That is a good idea to change my macros. I started working out, and I desperately need more protein if I am going to have the energy.
  • Juelz2013
    Juelz2013 Posts: 33
    Options
    If you are exercising regularly, you are probably going to need to up your caloric intake. Your body will turn into starvation mode, if it hasn't already! Even if you aren't exercising, you need a proper balanced diet for your body to function. 5-6 small meals a day, eating every 3 hours and incorporating protein into every meal! You'll have the energy you need and you will increase your metabolism.
  • GettinSwoler
    Options
    1200 is way too little!

what happens is that you put your body under stress ("starvation mode") which releases cortisol aka enemy to fat loss
    you need to be more human to yourself 1500 is fine, you won't feel like **** every day and takes jst about the same time
    jesus, weight loss doesn't mean starving