intense workouts awaken hungry monster

Options
Hi all, I need some advice. I love working out but I love eating as much. Once a week I do a long run and usually add in some weight training on that same day, my problem is that the day after I am insanly hungry. Tomorrow I will run 16 miles and do some strength, how do I stop the hunger monster from showing up on Sunday. I eat 1200 cals a day (up to 1500 if I am super hungry), I get at least 65g of protien and eat tons of fruits and veggies. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• jenjen84
    jenjen84 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing!
  • carpsdale
    Options
    I try not to eat my exercise calories, I am afraid I will undo all of my good if I eat them. I have only been on MFP for less than a week, do others eat their exercise calories?
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating your exercise cals then you better believe you're gonna be STARVING the day after running 16 miles! Eat them, or at least some of them. You need to eat at least 1200 cals ON TOP of what you burn. NET 1200. MFP already figures in your exercise when giving your goal so you are not "undoing" anything when you eat them. The goal it gives you is NET.
  • ismatts
    ismatts Posts: 62
    Options
    I do not usually eat my exorcise calories. :huh:
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat my exercise calories, I am afraid I will undo all of my good if I eat them. I have only been on MFP for less than a week, do others eat their exercise calories?

Well that answers that. You are hungry because you are burning EVERYTHING you consumed. Your body needs calories to do regular things too, such as breathing and just existing. You need about 1200 cals on top of anything burned.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I dont eat my exercise calories However if your hungry I think you should grab some quick snacks and dip into the exercise calories...precut veggies and fruit also almonds pistachios and such.....great things that wont have you feeling like youve ruined anything or eaten too much ...when i was working out intense i always ran to the fridge after and having pre cut things around helped a ..weight loss doesnt mean you have to be miserable..we still have to live happy .....just make good choices as to what you use the extra for and only eat them when your feeling hungry
  • ismatts
    ismatts Posts: 62
    Options

Well that answers that. You are hungry because you are burning EVERYTHING you consumed. Your body needs calories to do regular things too, such as breathing and just existing. You need about 1200 cals on top of anything burned.

I never thought of it that way. thx
  • carpsdale
    Options
    Thank you all, it makes sense. I will try eating my exercise cal. or at least some of them and see how it goes