depression affecting weightloss?

Options
Hello all, I suffer from depression and find that some days I just want to cry in bed. Sometimes it's hard to just get to the couch. I started running a few weeks back which has been helping slightly, but the last few days have been so hard.

I am going to the DR to get back on anti depressants, and was wondering if anyone has been on anti depressants while losing weight.

Did it impede your weight loss, or help?
Do you have a pill you recommend?

Replies

• gillz89
    gillz89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I would like to know the answer to this as well. I have been putting off going back on antidepressants due to my fear of them impeding weight loss or making me gain. (I have been on a few in the past but I was able to stop for a few years so I don't know about current ones)
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi there, so sorry to hear you are going through this, but yay for you for being proactive and working through it! I think everyone is different. For instance, some people eat a lot when they are depressed, but when I was going through MDD I barely ate anything. Eventually I ended up on prozac and gained a lot of weight. But, now I realize that I probably had a damaged metabolism, which would have meant that I would have gained weight just from eating normally again. People who eat a lot while depressed may actually lose weight once on an antidepressant. I really don't have any experience with trying to lose weight while on an antidepressant, so sorry I can't give you any advice in that area. Also, I do know that everyone reacts differently to different medications, so even if I could tell you what worked for me, it may not work for you.

But I think the main thing to think about is that if you are overcoming your depression, even with an antidepressant-- you may be more likely to get out and exercise. And that is going to make you healthier, in the long run. Try not to focus so much on the weight at this point. You need to get your mind healthy, and your body will follow-- at least, that's always been my experience. You need to give yourself the time and patience you deserve to get through this without adding extra weight loss pressure on yourself.
  • KelseyWood91
    Options
    I have had a few private messages saying that once they got on anti depressants they felt more awake, alert, and alive, and tended to go out and work out more.

I'm sure I'll be more likely to go out and enjoy life and work out more once I'm being treated, but it's always nice to just hear other's personal experiences. I appreciate the responses thus far.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I recently started on anti-depressants a few months ago. at the moment, I dont really feel *that*much of a change, and Ive gained so much weight over the past couple years that I dont really know if its hurting my effort to lose weight...

BUT! I will say, that this thread did get me to thinking, for the first time in awhile, Im actually here feeling committed to getting myself in shape. and Im also eating more. Well heck, maybe the meds are doing something afterall LoL

I am one of those who dont feel inclined to do anything at all, and would go the whole day on just a couple cups of coffee or one meal that I barely ate. I generally have no appetite at all...and this has been going on for years now. So yeah, my metabolism is waaay out of whack. I read about how anti-depressants can cause weight gain, which freaked me out because Ive already gained so much...but I wanted even more to feel better and well, alive.

I guess its kind of sneaking up on me, cause for sure, a year ago, I didnt care about anything, and now I do... You've just enlightened me... I hope in some way my train of thought here helps you out lol
  • TinyChestnut
    Options
    Yessss...I take wellbutrin XL and it has helped alot. I use it for a dual purpose, 1. to help my depression and 2. to help with my ADHD. It helped curb my apitite and I feel much better on it, that said, I also take adderall and that probably helps a little bit too. Keep up the exercise, trust me, I understand how hard it can be to even get out of bed.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I've been on Celexa in the past and am currently on Viibryd. Neither cause weight gain. I feel so much better with them and I've done great in the weight loss department = 22 pounds in 7 weeks.
  • PilatesConvert
    PilatesConvert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Some medications do have side effects that make it hard to lose weight, but your first goal should be STABILITY! Meds will probably help you have a more positive outlook, do more active things that make you feel happier, and take away some of the negative brain messages that depression throws in the way.

Good luck. IMO trying to get your body healthy without first getting your mind in a good place is foolish and setting yourself up for failure and more depression.
  • carlos13th
    carlos13th Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Anti depressants can have a variety of side effects including weight gain and weight loss depending on the person and their reaction to it but that really shouldn't be your primary concern. Your mental health is as important as your physical health and it would be very difficult to get the motivation to lose weight when depressed.

Go to the doctor and tell them about your depression and mention your weight loss goals too, they may be able to find a good compromise or give you advice.

Good luck.