Ten-minute Cardio Rule

Options
One of my cousins developed a rather good, to my mind, cardio work-out motivation rule. She tells herself, when she isn't really up for it, that all she has to do is work out for ten minutes. If she wants to quit after that, she can. Occasionally, when you're really sick or out of sorts, you might, but most of the time, after ten minutes, your endorphins are pumping and you don't want to stop.

The beauty is that you don't have to pysch yourself up for a sixty-minute work-out, just a ten-minute one.

Replies

• larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    works for me too!!!
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, it's not the amount, it's the quality. In fact, I have the Tony Horton 10-minute trainers because I simply don't have time to "exercise" the way others think they should. I get a full-body workout in 10 minutes, I burn some calories, and I feel great! Don't hate on yourself just because you lack that hour for a long session. Smaller sessions throughout the day work just as well!
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    One of my cousins developed a rather good, to my mind, cardio work-out motivation rule. She tells herself, when she isn't really up for it, that all she has to do is work out for ten minutes. If she wants to quit after that, she can. Occasionally, when you're really sick or out of sorts, you might, but most of the time, after ten minutes, your endorphins are pumping and you don't want to stop.

The beauty is that you don't have to pysch yourself up for a sixty-minute work-out, just a ten-minute one.

:heart: this
  • AnnaMW2013
    AnnaMW2013 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yup, I do that too!
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Very true, except on the rare days when I feel like *kitten*, then I just have to stop.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I don't even do that. I just force myself off the couch and to the bus stop. In that couple of minutes, I've committed myself by the time I'm locking the front door.

It helps that my local venue is 125 yards to the left and the bus stop is 125 yards to the right. So I never have to walk past it to get to the bus.

So all you have to do is leave the house.
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    works for me and its a rare time that I stop after the minutes.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I do this, too. I'll set the timer on the Arc trainer for 20 minutes and tell myself I can quit after so many minutes or calories. I always end up finishing the 20 minutes. Sunday, I went to a buffet with my guy and ate way too much...made myself do an extra set of cardio in the middle of my lifting, told myself I could stop the third set any time after 200 calories, and went the full 20 minutes/300ish calories.

For me, cardio helps me eat more, but it's more about the fitness. I work out because I like how it strengthens my muscles and gets my cardio in shape. There are days when I exercise totally for the fitness benefits.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This is awesome and so true!! I'm gonna remember this for me :-)
    I don't even do that. I just force myself off the couch and to the bus stop. In that couple of minutes, I've committed myself by the time I'm locking the front door.

It helps that my local venue is 125 yards to the left and the bus stop is 125 yards to the right. So I never have to walk past it to get to the bus.

So all you have to do is leave the house.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    yeah, works for me. i read it in a beginner triathlon book. if you're not really in the mood, just go for ten minutes, warm up, whatever. if after ten minutes you're still not in the mood to work out, just turn around and go home.

applies to weight-lifting/strength training too.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It works for strength training too ( it is often harder to get going on than cardio for me). I say I'm just going to do an easy 10 minutes, and I usually end up doing full body for an hour ...
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

Tell your cousin that she's awesome. Seriously. I love the idea ... Thanks! :-)
  • kris472
    kris472 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I plan on using this the next time I am having a hard time getting my motivation up!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I don't even go as high as 10. I promise myself only 5 minutes, but can't remember the last time i quit there
  • Cameronie
    Cameronie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    reminds me of...
    6 minute abs!
    If you're not satisfied, we'll throw an extra minute in there for free!
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I love this rule! I do this too and over the last year I've only stopped once. And that could have had something to do with my resistant bands breaking and slapping me in the face. :embarassed:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Definitely a great rule! I do it this way as a way to develop a habit. I'll tell myself on a bad day, "I don't have to walk fast today, I'll just walk at my own pace," but since I developed a habit of walking, I'll have many more good days than bad.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    One of my mottos is "I can do anything for 15 minutes." If I'm feeling sleepy and lazy, I can still get off the couch and walk for 15 minutes. If I'm overwhelmed by the wreck of an attic I'm organizing I can just commit to 15 minutes and whatever comes of that time. If I don't feel like studying, I can at least do it for 15 minutes.

Most of the time it goes beyond that minimum time - my biggest hurdle has always been getting overwhelmed by the big picture and not even getting started, when the reality is that something is always better than nothing.
  • Teeysha
    Teeysha Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Once I get going for 10 min I don't want to stop!!
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yes! My rule is always I have to work out for five minutes and if I still don't feel like exercising, I go home. In the seven years since I've adopted this rule, I've gone home once :)