is it good to do push up everday ?

Options
hello guys

plz i have question , i go gym 5 to 6 days a week , is it good to do push up everday in the morining or it is not good?

thank u in

Replies

• shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hey Saleh, muscles need about 48 hours between sessions to recover and rebuild properly - so every 2 days would be better.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've always heard with strength training it is good to give those muscles a rest in between ... the every other day as mentioned. That said, I just started Jillian Michael's 30Day Shred and I guess I'll be doing pushups (at least my attempt at them) and other strength moves every day (weekends off)...
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    Conventional wisdom is every other day but at Parris Island, we PT'd everyday but Sunday. Can't argue with the results. Unfortunately for me, I am older and have bad shoulders so pushups aren't in my routine.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    yes it's good. ask the army.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    The Navy seemed pretty content to make me kiss the dirt every single day (but Sunday cause lol.) while I was in basic.
  • Joshyusernametaken
    Joshyusernametaken Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Generally, this would be over training the muscles that have been worked as you have not given them adequate time to recover, heal and grow.
    Depending on your level of training though, you body may heal quicker. For example, a beginner-intermediate trainer who may have just recently started training is going to take longer to heal their muscle tissue than say someone in the military who has a body that is used to intense daily workouts and there for their muscles have become used to the same type of muscle load being applied every day.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    So you are saying that every other day until the muscles are used to it? Then everyday if you want?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, level of fitness and how many you are doing.

And for every push you do, you should do at least one pull exercise to keep healthy shoulder balance. (and most already have tight pecs and weak upper back)
  • ShaunaMcMac
    ShaunaMcMac Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The Navy seemed pretty content to make me kiss the dirt every single day (but Sunday cause lol.) while I was in basic.

Former navy here too, it's true they work the "poop" out if you, but I've known many of my male friends who lost 20-25lbs of LBM during basic. Your muscles definitely need recovery.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Only muscle group I know you can workout everyday are the abdominals.
  • ShaunaMcMac
    ShaunaMcMac Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Former navy here too, it's true they work the "poop" out if you, but I've known many of my male friends who lost 20-25lbs of LBM during basic. Your muscles definitely need recovery.

I should also qualify with that this was likely due to overtraining overall, not just push-ups. Basic is just as much about breaking your will to live (haha, just half joking) as fitness training.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Hey Saleh, muscles need about 48 hours between sessions to recover and rebuild properly - so every 2 days would be better.

It's pushups.

Do them twice a day every day.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been doing push-ups, assisted chin up, assisted dips, assisted pull ups, twists with a weight, leg lifts, sit-ups with weights (laying flat on the floor barbell over head sit up bring barbell to ankles), declined sit-up, crunches, side crunches with weights and bicycle leg lifts everyday.

Otherwise I rotate between back, chest, legs, triceps/biceps and shoulders each week. I do cardio everyday too. I work out 5-7 days a week and am trying to add insanity into my rotation.

So that is too much?? ?
  • Joshyusernametaken
    Joshyusernametaken Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been doing push-ups, assisted chin up, assisted dips, assisted pull ups, twists with a weight, leg lifts, sit-ups with weights (laying flat on the floor barbell over head sit up bring barbell to ankles), declined sit-up, crunches, side crunches with weights and bicycle leg lifts everyday.

Otherwise I rotate between back, chest, legs, triceps/biceps and shoulders each week. I do cardio everyday too. I work out 5-7 days a week and am trying to add insanity into my rotation.

So that is too much?? ?

This is definitely over training.. How do you expect your muscles are going to recover if you hit them day after consecutive day.. Muscle tissue needs time to heal and grow, by cheating your body, you are not reaching your potential and in actual fact you can be counter productive. Ideally you want to train different muscle groups with intensity everyday. For example - monday legs, tuesday arms, etc.. this giving your body time to recover.