Stronglifts and ..?

Options
lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
I've been doing stronglifts 5x5 for about 3.5 months with my husband, with great results. I love it, and don't want to give it up; however it is just a touch boring doing the same exact workouts 3x a week, every week, forever. I currently stick to the 5 big lifts, along with 1-2 sets of ab work and some rotator cuff rehab. I would like to look into options that I could do 1x a week to substitute for 1 of my SL workouts. I would then do workout A every Monday, workout B every Friday, and ??? every Wednesday. That would also give my squat muscles more recovery time.

I am interested in strength or maybe combination options, no pure cardio. I was thinking insanity/p90x/power90/chalean or to just make up a circuit in the gym with abs, pullups/chinups/, curls, dips, random machines, etc. I don't want to waste my time though.

What have you combined with StrongLifts and what worked and what didn't? "Suck it up" may be viable advice for a while longer, but then I'm going to need to switch it up some to keep up enthusiasm.

ETA: Friend requests from my fellow lifters who eat plenty of real food welcome :flowerforyou:

Replies

• tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Replying to follow. Great question.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Anyone else?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    If you have access to them, I'd recommend some kettlebell work. Very variable re the weight you use and what sort of circuits or purely heavy swings etc. Or just mix it up with both.

Heavy Ukranian deadlifts are a favourite of mine.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    You should look into 5/3/1. It is very versatile and you can add a whole assortment of exercises.

Another program is PHAT, it combines hypertrophy training with strength training.

OHP and bench can be hard on the rotators. What exercises for the rotators are you doing, and where did you learn your bench pressing technique?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What are your training goals?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    First off, SL isn't forever. It's a beginners routine for learning the basic barbell lifts and IMHO, that lifting life is much more exciting after SL and SS. SL and Starting Strength, etc are great for getting a lot of exposure and making big strides in overall strength, but they're not forever.

I switched to Wendler's 5/3/1 about 5 months into Starting Strength because I was at the point where I really couldn't do anything else but SS without interfering with recovery...couldn't run or anything with squating 3x weekly. With 5/3/1 I don't make the same strength gains, but I'm a lot more fresh for other stuff. Plus, you just do one big compound each workout and then assistance work for whatever you want that is basically going to assist that big lift. I do 5/3/1 with a periodization bible assistance template. I can switch up the assistance template every 4 weeks or so because that's when a mesocycle ends and I start a new mesocycle.
  • c_30
    c_30 Posts: 12
    Options
    bumping to obsess over later :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Pick up Starting Strength and try some of the assistance exercises described in that book (good mornings, deadlift variations, squat variations). Or try some Olympic lifts (snatches, cleans)--I guarantee you that trying to flip a loaded barbell onto your delts is anything but boring.

Or, set some new strength goals that do not involve the barbell. For example, I would love to be able to do a muscle-up like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2Sr6FFdcII

But that presupposes being able to do a certain number of pull-ups with good form, which is a pretty advanced strength goal for a woman as it is. That's what I am working towards right now.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Lots of great responses! I do realize that SL is a beginner program, and that I won't stick with it "forever" (I shouldn't have said that, I meant Feels like forever), but I do want to stay with it for a while longer. My husband is doing the program with me and he is just now starting to fail reps occasionally since he is obviously stronger. He is definitely not ready to move up yet. I also feel that I can get more out of it still, so this is way to both stick with it and learn something new.

@Chrisdavey: Great idea. I've never done anything with kettlebells, but I know we have them at the gym and that you can do a lot of different exercises with them.

@Mrsallypants: Yes they are hard on them. I have joint instability (loose tendons) and because of that there is more stress on the muscles than there should be which can be painful. Heavy lifting resolved the pain in my right shoulder, but made it worse in my left. This exercise is the one that gets to where the soreness is and really helps. I do the opposite of it as well as a few other motions: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/external-rotation-with-cable

@jonnythan: Be healthy, strong, muscular, and slim (but not grossly skinny)

@cwolfman: 5/3/1 is where I plan to go when my husband and I are both ready. Do you have any good links to reference then? I'm not sure what you mean about bible assistance templates and mesosycles....

@bubblebums: I bought a pullup bar for at home. I just need to install it and get to work on the negatives to work up to real ones. I guess that I will do those on Saturdays, since I don't want to mess up my recovery time for SL. I would do them on my new Wednesday routine if I can figure out what else I want to do.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Lots of great responses! I do realize that SL is a beginner program, and that I won't stick with it "forever" (I shouldn't have said that, I meant Feels like forever), but I do want to stay with it for a while longer. My husband is doing the program with me and he is just now starting to fail reps occasionally since he is obviously stronger. He is definitely not ready to move up yet. I also feel that I can get more out of it still, so this is way to both stick with it and learn something new.

@Chrisdavey: Great idea. I've never done anything with kettlebells, but I know we have them at the gym and that you can do a lot of different exercises with them.

@Mrsallypants: Yes they are hard on them. I have joint instability (loose tendons) and because of that there is more stress on the muscles than there should be which can be painful. Heavy lifting resolved the pain in my right shoulder, but made it worse in my left. This exercise is the one that gets to where the soreness is and really helps. I do the opposite of it as well as a few other motions: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/external-rotation-with-cable

@cwolfman: 5/3/1 is where I plan to go when my husband and I are both ready. Do you have any good links to reference then? I'm not sure what you mean about bible assistance templates and mesosycles....

@bubblebums: I bought a pullup bar for at home. I just need to install it and get to work on the negatives to work up to real ones. I guess that I will do those on Saturdays, since I don't want to mess up my recovery time for SL. I would do them on my new Wednesday routine if I can figure out what else I want to do.

If you're bored it might be a good time to move on. There is no set time and a "beginner" program is only a beginner program because of it's simplicity in structure and learning. A beginner could easily start with 5/3/1. You should buy the e-book of 5/3/1 2nd edition and just read through it a couple times. This will set you up for better long-term success. I don't advocate program jumping but if you're bored you'll lose motivation eventually, sometimes it's better to "get" while the "getting is good".
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I definitely recommend getting Wendler's book to help you better understand the 5/3/1 philosophy. I also use this calculator...

http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

Which is nice because it compiles the various %s for you and even tells you what plates you need to throw on there so you can move a little quicker and not hot the squat rack. It also gives you a number of different assistance templates to follow...some of which come directly from Wendler himself (i.e. Big but Boring) and others that have just been around a long time.

I really like it because you can tweak it to meet various goals. You can combine strength and your big lifts with hypertrophy assists for physique...you can just do body weight stuff as assistance (I'll be doing a cycle of that soon to get ready for a Goruck event which will require a lot of body weight endurance type stuff)...or whatever is going to get you to your goal at the moment or whatever you happen to be training for.

I kinda 2nd JNick77...I was a bit conflicted about jumping ship on Starting Strength after only 5 months, but I really did have other fitness goals I wanted to work on and there's just no way I could have done them with Starting Strength. 5/3/1 is so flexible, I could see myself following this program for years to come. I don't necessarily advocate jumping ship too early...but on the other hand, if you're losing motivation, it might be time. Nothing worse than being bored with your workout.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I kinda 2nd JNick77...I was a bit conflicted about jumping ship on Starting Strength after only 5 months, but I really did have other fitness goals I wanted to work on and there's just no way I could have done them with Starting Strength. 5/3/1 is so flexible, I could see myself following this program for years to come. I don't necessarily advocate jumping ship too early...but on the other hand, if you're losing motivation, it might be time. Nothing worse than being bored with your workout.

Yup. There's a difference between a lifting program and a lifting system, 5/3/1 is the latter. A program is set in stone and fairly rigid, which is not good for long-term or even mid-term success. SL5x5 follows a linear progression model which has very real limitations. 5/3/1 is a system and as wolfman said, it is flexible. A good system should be able to tailor to your needs while maintaining the basic principles of the system; 5/3/1 is something you could use forever in theory. If you wanted to get into Olympic Lifting you could easily change up the exercise selection and use it for that.

Jim Wendler is releasing a follow-up to 5/3/1 soon as well that sounds pretty awesome. I'm not sure that I'd switch back to 5/3/1 but I will definitely read the book either way.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options

Along with external rotation, do internal rotation and the preventative / corrective exercises mentioned here for the Supraspinatus: http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Weaknesses.html#anchor3503966
  • kmrichardson1
    kmrichardson1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Following!
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My wife and I moved onto AllPro's beginner routine after we did SS for quite a while. We are only 3 weeks into it but we like it quite a bit. It may be worth looking into if it fits your goals.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    tagging, because I've been doing Stronglifts for about 4 1/2 months and I'm starting to get bored with it. I've been thinking about switching to 5/3/1 for a while. I need to charge up my kindle and download the book. The link to the calculator is very helpful.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    5/3/1 and even something like the Texas Method would be a good transition. I agree if you bored with the routine change it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I've been doing stronglifts 5x5 for about 3.5 months with my husband, with great results. I love it, and don't want to give it up; however it is just a touch boring doing the same exact workouts 3x a week, every week, forever.

bgbMLmw.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I've been doing stronglifts 5x5 for about 3.5 months with my husband, with great results. I love it, and don't want to give it up; however it is just a touch boring doing the same exact workouts 3x a week, every week, forever.

bgbMLmw.gif

LMFAO! Anyways maybe you can spice up your lifting routine like some people spice up their marriage. Wear kinky outfits and role play outfits when you lift. ANd make sure If you're dressed as the sexy lone ranger, hubby is taunto. And if your Karen Walker, he's jack. And if you're the drum, he's the energizer bunny.

I'd love to FR you because I eat mostly real foodz but I'm nowhere near a serious lifter yet, but good luck to you!!!

4193743105_8e03e0fbc0_o.jpg

DISCLAIMER: I would NEVER advocate lifting in an unsafe outfit like this. I despise pink.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar place as you with SL, and I have been adding pull-ups, pushups and some other leg work like walking lunges and Bulgarian split squats. I'm also starting the Focus T25 DVD's soon (as soon as I order them!), which is by Shaun T., the maker of Insanity. They are only 25 minute long videos with what looks like quite a bit of HIIT. I plan to do those on days when I'm not lifting.

I'm interested in looking at the 5/3/1 based on everyone's recommendations, too! Thanks!