The subject is protein...

Options
This site has made me more aware of how little protein I consume in a day, it has always been a struggle for me being pescetarian. Does anyone have any tips of how i can add more?

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Fish serves as a good source of protein along with and dairy, both supply protein. Nuts, seeds and legumes also add a hefty dose of protein to the pescatarian diet.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    if you can eat peanut butter (honestly, i don't pay attention to all of the flavors of vegetarianism and what they can and can't eat) then eat peanut butter every day.

64g of Jif Extra Crunchy will give you 14g of protein along with a lot of your healthy fats. that's 4 tbsp.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options
    One egg + 3 egg whites + 1 slice of American cheese, prepared as an omelet

(I also add vegetables to the middle for bulk.)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I have to add a protein powder supplement to my diet that does consists of plenty of lean meats, just to get enough.
    Eggs, egg whites, dairy, nuts, beans, salmon, lean meats, proteins wider, and Quest protein bars - is how I do it.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yea, I eat a lot of egg whites, chicken, turkey and protein supplement. Fish is a great source of fiber but can be high in calories... I miss fish lol
  • GettinSwoler
    Options
    Tuna

loads of protein, good fats
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Lean meat, fish, egg whites, a lot of dairy products (high saturates in most though) protein supplements and the extra protein from carb heavy foods should usually get it.
  • sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who's said egg whites. I have a half a cup of egg whites (from a carton) cooked up for breakfast every day and that gives ya a good boost of protein. Also cottage cheese. I use Hood low fat no salt added, usually put it on salads, mmm. Protein powder too, especially on days I work out. I like to try to get at least 120 grams of protein a day (for my height/weight/lean body mass/activity level).
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yea, I eat a lot of egg whites, chicken, turkey and protein supplement. Fish is a great source of fiber but can be high in calories... I miss fish lol

Did you mean fish is a great source of protein? Fish (and animal products) has no fiber. As far as protein -- go for leafy greens. 100 calories worth of leafy greens has more protein than 100 calories of ground beef. Granted, it takes a lot of chewing to eat 100 calories worth of leafy greens...
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I mix whey protein powder with Greek yogurt for a mid morning snack.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Fish Salmon in particular or Tuna are really high in Protein, Almonds are great,Cottage Cheese,Tofu, or Ricotta Cheese,Bananas,Peanut Butter. I have been making a smoothie just for my breakfast lately cuz I have been so busy over the summer just grabbing a coffee and running for a few wks so I did pick up a protein powder for that. I have been making a smoothie with Matcha Powder,Dymatize Elite XT Banana Nut Powder,Fresh Banana,Cinnamon,Lactose Free Milk lately for breakfast and really like that. If you don't wanna buy a protein powder though its a bit more calories but actually higher yet in protein you can mix 1 cup lowfat cottage cheese,1 cup skim milk,1 TBSP "all natural" peanut butter,1/2 pkt sugar free choc pudding and make a shake out of that that one tastes really good and protein is super high in it but is a few more calories than the matcha green tea one.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    if you can eat peanut butter (honestly, i don't pay attention to all of the flavors of vegetarianism and what they can and can't eat) then eat peanut butter every day.

64g of Jif Extra Crunchy will give you 14g of protein along with a lot of your healthy fats. that's 4 tbsp.

Calorie for calorie, peanut butter really isn't a good source of protien ,,, 380 - 420 (depending on the brand of PB) calories for 14g of protein isn't really an efficient way of getting protein while on a calorie defecit.

Cottage cheese, greek yougurt, eggs, and of course FISH (pescetarian) are better sources,
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    This site has made me more aware of how little protein I consume in a day, it has always been a struggle for me being pescetarian. Does anyone have any tips of how i can add more?

I was a vegetarian and failing at protein; when I switched to pescetarian I started getting more than my goal it's so easy!
    I make one meal a day have either 2 tilapia fillets or one salmon fillet in it. Bam. So much protein and if you just put vinegar/lemon juice on it it's like no calories.

EDIT: they are frozen and I bake them. Fried fish doesn't have such a great calorie/protein ratio.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Yup, Eat more fish.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I know a decent amount of people who were veg or pesc and switched to being veg except chicken (so no fish either, it doesn't have a formal name I don't think) but I eat a lot of boneless skinless chicken breast which a lot of people seem to find boring but to me it's like white bread or something it's not really really good but it's hard to get tired of. and with 26 g of protein in a 4 oz serving, I usually have 8 oz, at under 300 calories for a super filling meal with lots of protein and very little fat and no carbs, and to make it more interesting i'll put spices, garlic, banana peppers, salsa, hot sauce, dijon mustard, so it's not like having the same thing every day and you can grill it or bake it before hand and just heat it up or I usually just do it in a pan with a spray of pam and it's good to go pretty quickly. You could do the same thing with precooked fish, there are salmon burgers frozen and lump crab meat or shrimp are really good too.
    I also use protein powder that has 150 calories for 26 grams of protein, but there's another brand called Nectar, and they have a lot of flavors, the fuzzy navel tastes just like juice and the chocolate truffle tastes like cold hot chocolate and those also have 26 grams of protein but only 100 calories, no carbs or sugar.
    Also nuts are good but high in fat (good fat), greek yogurt, a tub of 2% has 20 grams and 0% has 18. These are usually my go-to's, also eggs (or egg whites) and milks
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of boneless skinless chicken breast

Me too. Sadly, OP is a pescetarian.
  • GettinSwoler
    Options
    I mix whey protein powder with Greek yogurt for a mid morning snack.

that's a good point there
    if people struggle to get enough protein, protein powders are an easy and cheap solution
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Since you are pescatarian , I'm assuming you already no fish is a good source.

The highest vegetable source I have found is dry roasted edamame. 14 g protein per 30 g. And they are super yummy.