women lifting

Options
Hi,

ive started doing some light lifting during jullian micheals 30 day shred.
i just want to make sure im not going to get bulky.. thats not what i want. i just want to be toned.

any advise?

Replies

• udt123
    udt123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lift Heavy and get enough protein. You won't get bulky.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Toned is a meaningless term. I think you mean you want definition, which comes from simply having less subcutaneous fat. That's chiefly done through diet. Muscle tone actually refers to an intrinsic property: muscle’s resistance to passive stretch during resting state. It has nothing to do with appearance at all.

Unless you start juicing (steroids), you will not get bulky. You simply do not have the testosterone for it. Lift to your little heart's content!
  • timingcomedic
    timingcomedic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Toned is a meaningless term. I think you mean you want definition, which comes from simply having less subcutaneous fat. That's chiefly done through diet. Muscle tone actually refers to an intrinsic property: muscle’s resistance to passive stretch during resting state. It has nothing to do with appearance at all.

Unless you start juicing (steroids), you will not get bulky. You simply do not have the testosterone for it. Lift to your little heart's content!

That was really helpful and informative, thanks
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Well you definitely won't get bulky lifting light weights along with a DVD. I lift heavy weights and am not at all bulky, just very 'toned.'
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    30 day shred isn't really lifting. I'd look into New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women or Strong Lifts 5x5.

Been lifting heavy since Oct 2011. Not bulky.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    30 day shred isn't really lifting. I'd look into New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women or Strong Lifts 5x5.

Been lifting heavy since Oct 2011. Not bulky.
    Where's that "like" button?!

I've lifted heavy on and off for more than 6 years now. The only bulky I have is the extra 40 pounds of fat I'm carting around right now!