kickboxing

Options
snagy1
snagy1 Posts: 79 Member
This is only my second time kickboxing. I've done zumba, pilates, yoga, and core classes. Nothing seems to be as difficult as boxing. I'm obviously a bigger girl and every one in the class is easily under 150 pounds. Is it normal to have a bad headache afterwards? I feel kinda silly and unexperienced to be boxing. I hate not being good at something. Will I eventually get the hang of it?

Replies

• littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    It took me a good few classes to get the hang of non-kick boxing, and I'm still getting the feel of kickboxing. It does take a while to get confident, but it's definitely worth it. I wanted to never box again after my second class, but I'd paid for four and I didn't want to waste my money, so I told myself that it would be silly to drop out just because I wasn't good, because it's not like dropping out would make me any better. Now it's my favourite form of cardio.

Having a bad headache after sounds like possible dehydration.
  • weightlifter01
    weightlifter01 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have never participated in a boxing or kickboxing workout - but I bet it is a fun, intense and effective workout.

Headaches shouldn't be happening - yes perhaps you are not drinking enough water, or eating enough of a pre workout meal. Hopefully these 2 suggestions will make the difference.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I find it abhorrent. I love exercise and love to do many different forms. Kickboxing is something I would go out of my way to NOT do. It's just not fun at all.

My point was, there's no reason to expect that every single kind of workout is going to work for you. Give it a shot, and if it doesn't agree with you, move on and try something else. There's a whole wide world out there!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    You might be dehydrated. Also, try not to get punched in the head. Left hook to the temple is a killer.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You might be dehydrated. Also, try not to get punched in the head. Left hook to the temple is a killer.

I think an uppercut to the chin is worse, especially when the punch is coming from yourself.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    This is only my second time kickboxing. I've done zumba, pilates, yoga, and core classes. Nothing seems to be as difficult as boxing. I'm obviously a bigger girl and every one in the class is easily under 150 pounds. Is it normal to have a bad headache afterwards? I feel kinda silly and unexperienced to be boxing. I hate not being good at something. Will I eventually get the hang of it?

You will. Those in your class probably felt the same way you did when they first started.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Consistency will make it easier to get a hang of. You can only punch and kick so many ways. As for the headaches, I'm betting it from tensing your neck, incorrect breathing or gritting you teeth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I find it abhorrent. I love exercise and love to do many different forms. Kickboxing is something I would go out of my way to NOT do. It's just not fun at all.

My point was, there's no reason to expect that every single kind of workout is going to work for you. Give it a shot, and if it doesn't agree with you, move on and try something else. There's a whole wide world out there!
    Instructor counts too. Someone who is not a good instructor (and there are lots of them) have crappy classes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The class I do is called turbo kick and i LOVE it!!

Don't stress over being a bigger girl.. There's a bunch of them in the classes I attend and some of them kickbox me under the table!!... I'm not really small myself either.. Size has little to do with ability.

Headache.. I get them if I don't have enough water or if i'm too hungry afterwards..

I don't know if kickboxing is the same as turbo kick.. but i'm starving after my class. I've been doing a protein shot after class and then cooking a high protein dinner. Seems to help. I can't drink anything, water or otherwise, during the classes like I see some people doing. I get sick to my stomach if I do, also need an hour of not eating prior to class or I can't do the class.

I also do Zumba, kickboxing, insanity, HIIT and weights. Kickboxing is 2nd only to HIIT.insanity..and a close 3rd is the calisthenics routine I do..
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I have no reservations about people being smaller than me in my boxing classes. And like others said, try drinking more water.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I get exercise-induced migraines when I'm dehydrated. I agree with the others - water! Drink extra on days you're going to class. Make sure your head is relaxed and you're not holding too much tension in your upper body. That gets to me as well. Many times I've had to stop workouts due to either dehydration or tension. Have fun!! I'd l ove to take kickboxing classes!!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Drink water and keep at it.

Work on your flexibility as well.
  • mel3491
    mel3491 Posts: 31
    Options
    done that plus knocked my own glasses off my face..
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I think an uppercut to the chin is worse, especially when the punch is coming from yourself.

HA! Guilty! LMAO
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a a good kick boxing class myself and I'm the biggest guy n the class... The only time I had felt anything close to a head ache was when I caught a round kick to he side of the head. All in all its still fun and a great way to burn off some extra calories

Just keep at it