people walking backward on treadmill

Options
Is this a new type of fad? I have seen this n the gym a couple of times. It seems the benefit would not outweigh the risk to me anyway. It seems dangerous.. Does it really do anymore than walking regular on a treadmill?

Replies

• XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Incorporates differnt muscles
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I do good to stay in a straight line walking forward....it would be freakin' dangerous for me to walk backwards on one....:laugh:
  • yiddishist25
    Options
    I saw someone doing it a week or so ago and have been doing it ever since. I started off with a low incline and a slower speed and have been building up. Now I can jog backwards (for a limited time) even on an incline which is amazing since I still can't jog forwards because I'm recovering from a sprained ankle. I always keep my arms on the supports next to me in case I lose my balance and I limit the amount of time I go backwards.
    I definitely feel muscles being activated that are not in any other cardio or strength activity at my gym. I feel a bit sore afterward but I think it's for the best.
    I'd recommend it!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I go backwards on the cross trainer - it's supposed to be good for your glutes. I reckon there is less chance of me dropping off that than a treadmill.
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had ACL replacement, I waited 3 years after a skiing accident to get it fixed. They took the middle of my patella ligament to fix it. Walking backwards was a real big thing for therapy. II still do it while walking on known surfaces or up hills. So this and also pedaling backwards on a bike was common. I think it was to help with extension stretching. Odd but I got back and retained almost 100% flexibility.
  • salt160
    salt160 Posts: 44
    Options
    Saw Ferris try this with kind of thing. Didn't work out too well.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'd only think it were safe if someone had a spotter or something. Otherwise I think it would be very risky, but to each their own.
  • Foulou
    Foulou Posts: 14
    Options
    Walking backwards with incline helps rehab certain knee injuries.
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I walk backwards with incline...It works different muscles :)
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    No more dangerous than driving during rush hour.

It basically engages different muscles, helps with focus, helps with the knees, and since it forces you to be more aware of what you're doing and pay more attention, you'll probably engage more muscles by keeping your core tighter. Nothing wrong with holding yourself while walking backwards.

On a different note, here's a little humor on this

The-Workout.gif
  • SheDino
    SheDino Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did it as part of rehabbing a really nasty leg injury. It does exercise muscles that are difficult to activate in other cardio workouts. The key to doing safely is to start out very slow and work your way up. Ask the trainers which treadmills can have the speed lowered to 1/2 mile per hour. Start there and keep bumping the speed up a bit until you are walking as quickly as is comfortable for you.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If your are going to walk backwards, you may as well really do it right and inspire everyone to greater movements on the treadmill.

Or at least make them fall off theirs laughing when yours ends badly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=SLMWaU-rLJQ&NR=1
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Is this a new type of fad? I have seen this n the gym a couple of times. It seems the benefit would not outweigh the risk to me anyway. It seems dangerous.. Does it really do anymore than walking regular on a treadmill?

I do this all the time as part of my warmup except I run instead of walk. I sidestep on the treadmill as well. As others have pointed out different muscles are engaged by running backwards. Its only dangerous if you go too fast for your level of coordination/fitness to handle. I have never once felt like I was in any danger of falling. That being said, I prefer to run backwards outside. On Thursday I will run 5k backwards while barefoot on a 400m track. I may run a 5k race backwards at some point.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Works more on the hamstrings, which are neglected (compared to arms, legs and abs) by about 65% of all people who exercise.

Also as mentioned, rehabbing a knee injury.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    double post
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Also great for practicing for ballroom dancing. ;)
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I go backwards on the cross trainer - it's supposed to be good for your glutes. I reckon there is less chance of me dropping off that than a treadmill.
    me and you both.
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i would fall. no question. :tongue:
  • snowbike
    snowbike Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If i've been over doing it a bit , I walk backwards to un-burn some of my forward walking calories :P
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If your are going to walk backwards, you may as well really do it right and inspire everyone to greater movements on the treadmill.

Or at least make them fall off theirs laughing when yours ends badly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=SLMWaU-rLJQ&NR=1

This is so cool. I'm sure I'd fall if I tried.