Newbie to MFP & Healthy Eating looking for friends

Options
Hi Everyone. I'm new to MFP and am looking for some friends to encourage and be encouraged by. I have over 100 lbs to lose so I am in for the long haul. Up until May 2013, I focused on exercise but ate pretty much anything I wanted. Then I landed in the local hospital three times in one month. After surgery to have gall bladder removed and a diagnosis of A-fib, I am now having to take it easy on the exercise for a bit until things get worked out. Any suggestions for recipes or low impact exercises would be much appreciated. ( I have dr. blessing to do this) Although I feel a bit lost not being able to train for a 5K, I know that becoming disciplined in the area of eating is going to be a HUGE first step.

Replies

• Jojotelly
    Jojotelly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am new here to. I understand about the health issues. I had to have my gall bladder removed a couple years ago. Eating has never been the same.lol But then I ended up hurting my back in february. I have two hernitated disks in my lower back. So, I was pretty immobile for a while. Luckly with lots of pain killers (which I am no longer using, cause I don't need to anymore) and physical therapy I am closer to normal. Still a work in progress though.
    A really good low impact excersise would be yoga. I love yoga and swear by it. It tones your whole body without being to riggerous. And it dosn't take long. about 28 min. and you could do it about 2-3 times a week. Its considered strength training. I would reccomend Namaste yoga. Its very peacefull and makes you feel great at the same time.
    I am also gonna have trouble with eating better to. I love pasta and ice cream and pretty much everything thats considered bad.lol It will be difficult. I love to eat. I hope we can both meet our goals.
  • Feebletooth
    Options
    Hi there.Im new to this site as well and just recently started getting back into working out.I can't help you with recipes because I'm a horrible cook.(just ask my husband.LOL!)However I can help you be accountable and encourage you as I hope you could do the same for me.I will request you shortly.Also I had a friend lose 150 lbs in a year just by watching what she ate(no crazy diet either)and brisk walking everyday.During the winter she did a very light walk/jog with some Kinect games for the Xbox360 when she couldn't really go outside.
  • tonadayuu
    tonadayuu Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I'm also new here. Started a week ago. I'm trying to eat healthy but still eat some of things I used to eat but a lot less. Anyway, friend request sent. :)
  • sarahjean2100
    sarahjean2100 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new and would love to take this journey with you!

For recipes, we use emeals.com "paleo plan" for dinners. They are pretty simple and have weekly combinations of grilled, broiled, and crock pot meals.
  • Jojotelly
    Jojotelly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my phone from Allrecipies.com Its awesome. or you can just go to the website. Its free and great.
  • thezorb
    thezorb Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new here too. One great low impact exercise I've rediscovered is tai chi. My thighs definitely feel it. For us ladies, our quads are the largest muscle in our bodies, so the stronger they are, the more calories we burn long term. I agree with Jojotelly--yoga is awesome.
  • SmartDataGirl
    SmartDataGirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hiya! add me! I'm new too... I will help motivate you :3 I've helped my family become skinny (they were average before).
  • Bogna27
    Bogna27 Posts: 8
    Options
  • Bogna27
    Options
    Hi. I'm new here too. One great low impact exercise I've rediscovered is tai chi. My thighs definitely feel it. For us ladies, our quads are the largest muscle in our bodies, so the stronger they are, the more calories we burn long term. I agree with Jojotelly--yoga is awesome.

Awesome! I'll definitely have to give it a try.
  • Bogna27
    Options
    Hi. I am new here to. I understand about the health issues. I had to have my gall bladder removed a couple years ago. Eating has never been the same.lol But then I ended up hurting my back in february. I have two hernitated disks in my lower back. So, I was pretty immobile for a while. Luckly with lots of pain killers (which I am no longer using, cause I don't need to anymore) and physical therapy I am closer to normal. Still a work in progress though.
    A really good low impact excersise would be yoga. I love yoga and swear by it. It tones your whole body without being to riggerous. And it dosn't take long. about 28 min. and you could do it about 2-3 times a week. Its considered strength training. I would reccomend Namaste yoga. Its very peacefull and makes you feel great at the same time.
    I am also gonna have trouble with eating better to. I love pasta and ice cream and pretty much everything thats considered bad.lol It will be difficult. I love to eat. I hope we can both meet our goals.

Haha! Are you my twin? same food taste....I know we can do this!
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Another a-fib challenged person here. I had lost 25 lbs on this website, had my 1st a-fib episode, ended up in the e.r..... couple of months ago and have gained back 9 lbs.

Basically starting again, slower this time. For me, being on beta blockers, slows my heart down, so, its hard to push the way Im used to pushing. Thus, the weight is a bit more difficult to get off. That being said, Ive been a little anxious of exercising, at all, which doctor said I should be doing. Its just fear.

I am starting back on my elliptical, low impact and easy on the knees. Recipes,,,,try the Hungry Girl website, they have some awesome recipes. Hubby and I cook on the weekend and freeze,,,helps a lot.

I look at it as another challenge that I will overcome....you will too.
  • helenoctober
    helenoctober Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Add me! let's do this !
  • angel51049
    Options
    Hi,
    I 'm new at this and would like to get to know you all I will get a photo up soon, I also have 100 lbs. to lose. I have lost 55lbs. on my own but could really use the support,