Supplements - what works and what doesn't?

Options
Is anyone else using garcinia cambogia and/or green coffee bean extract? Your feedback? I started using both yesterday when I started my "new and improved" health plan and was wondering if the claims are accurate or if I'm wasting my money. Your feedback is appreciated - please be specific!:noway:

Replies

• vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It's so difficult to know what works ad what doesn't. In general, any supplement that is "new" and has some crazy claims, is probably a scam. If anything claims that you lose tons of weight without exercise or changing your diet, it's a scam!

Stick to supplements that are tried and true, and supported by REAL scientific data.

What goals are you trying to achieve with these supplements?
  • amazinglyanna92
    amazinglyanna92 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Zantrex-3 has been doing wonders for me. I use the one in the red bottle.Its the start of month 2 and I've lost 12 lbs already, but of course I've been counting calories and have been going to the gym.
    Lipozine (pill) didn't work for me.
    Slimquick (pill and drink mix) didn't work for me.
    Live skinny hasn't worked for me.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else using garcinia cambogia and/or green coffee bean extract? Your feedback? I started using both yesterday when I started my "new and improved" health plan and was wondering if the claims are accurate or if I'm wasting my money. Your feedback is appreciated - please be specific!:noway:

You wasted your money.
  • cavgtmom
    cavgtmom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Go to Dr Oz's site and check on the one that you bought. The video he does when he introduced it and is interviewing the woman states that you should only buy it if it has a certain amount in it, but I can't remember what the number was. Funny, I sell It Works, and our Fat Fighters already had that ingredient in it, even before Dr Oz's big announcement. I was super excited.

I have a friend that took Zantrek as well and she was getting good results. I tried Complete Nutrition's Big set, and I apologize that I can't remember the name of it (blue, green, and red capsules). I had good results with it, but it was really expensive and I had a really hard time with the "take half hour before eating". I would either take it and then not be able to take my break to eat, or my window for eating would come and there wasn't enough time to take them first. I took mine in addition to changing my eating habits and exercising.
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Most fat burners are completely useless, maybe some can give you a bit more energy (due to the stim in them) and some appetite suppresion... but nothing special. The stuff that really works, usually it's illegal :laugh:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Aren't those the ones recently promoted by Dr Oz? Why would you buy something then ask if they work? What did your research of studies regarding those supps turn up?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money.

Weigh and log your food accurately, stick to a reasonable caloric deficit, exercise (preferably including some strength training), rest, repeat and be patient.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money.

Weigh and log your food accurately, stick to a reasonable caloric deficit, exercise (preferably including some strength training), rest, repeat and be patient.

This. I'm down 30 lbs since I decided to follow this advice. I take a multivitamin, Vitamin D, Glucosamine/Chondroitin and fish oil only to make sure I'm getting those items in sufficient quantity in my diet.

If you want to buy a supplement that works, get a good-quality protein powder and start doing strength training.
  • stephanie8625
    stephanie8625 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say, the green tree extract on Dr. OZ -- has not worked
    I have been taking it for 4 weeks, counting calories and going to gym 4x/week -- no change !! :mad:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Creatine, fish oil, food, water, anything suggested by your personal medical professional if you have some medical need to supplement what you don't get from your regular diet or your body doesn't process correctly = Works

Commercially sponsored supplements = Doesn't
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    90% of supplements only contribute 1% or less overall fitness or weight loss. So if one lost 10lbs then, one tenth of a pound can be attributed to it.

Supplements that do work based on scientific research: whey protein, creatine, BCAA's and fish oil.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

Think of it this way. If it sounds too good to be true. Then the claims are false, and you are wasting your money.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money.

^^This^^ YOU can be your own fat burner!! Seriously, I do take glucosamine for joint health and add whey protein powder to my fruit smoothies.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
  • glheureux56
    Options
    I think that everyone has a different opinion on supplements. About all I do is Powerade Zero or Vitamin Water Zero, Since Im diabetic I watch carbs very closely. I tend to stay away from supplements and just try to eat healthier.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    What works for me is a good protein shake creatine that is all you really need . Also what worked for me was youhmbine hcl and drop factor from tigerfitness gaspari detonate and c4 preworkout
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money.

This. I'm down 30 lbs since I decided to follow this advice. I take a multivitamin, Vitamin D, Glucosamine/Chondroitin and fish oil only to make sure I'm getting those items in sufficient quantity in my diet.

If you want to buy a supplement that works, get a good-quality protein powder and start doing strength training.

Yup, I lost 82 lbs (not counting my initial postpartum loss) after my older son was born. It took me a year. Now I've had baby #2 (no more babies for me!) and am at it again. I'm six weeks postpartum and four weeks logging, and I've lost almost 10 lbs. I'm nursing, which burns calories, but keep in mind that I have to eat back those calories so that my supply doesn't suffer.

I take a prenatal vitamin (also recommended for nursing moms) and a DHA supplement since I don't get enough in my diet (also good for nursing moms). When I stop nursing I will go back o a regular multivitamin and will take fish oil supplements.

Most weight loss supplements are BS. 13 years ago I lost a bunch of weight on basically a diet of Herbalife shakes and supplements. I became a distributor just to get the discounts (I didn't actually sell it), and most of it was garbage. Some of them made my heart race and/or gave me the shakes, which wasn't worth it!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

In Dr. Oz’s New York City studio, garcinia extract—or hydroxycitric acid found in fruits like purple mangosteen—sounded fantastic, a promising new tool for the battle against flab. Outside the Oprah-ordained doctor’s sensational world of amazing new diets, there’s no real debate about whether garcinia works: The best evidence is unequivocally against it.

The miracle cure isn’t really a miracle at all. It’s not even new. Garcinia cambogia has been studied as a weight-loss aid for more than 15 years. A 1998 randomized controlled trial looked at the effects of garcinia as a potential “antiobesity agent” in 135 people. The conclusion: The pills were no better than placebo for weight and fat loss.

Dr. Oz is the 21st century's snake oil salesman extraordinaire! If you want to make money selling supplements pay Dr Oz to promote them and they'll fly off the shelf. People are lemmings........
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    if there was a miracle pill we would all look perfect