Anyone have suggestions to help menstrual cramps?

Options
Kminor67
Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
I experience debilitating menstrual cramps every month, for just about the entire duration of my period. In the past, the only thing that seemed to help is eating ice cream. I don't know why, but it would take the pain away for 5 to 10 minutes, and give me a little bit of relief from the constant nagging pain.

Now I am following this program, and I really don't want to blow my calorie intake on eating ice cream several times a day, but I need some relief. Tylenol and Midol are completely ineffective for me, and I can't take aspirin or ibuprofen due to a GERD diagnosis. My doctor prescribed me some Darvocet, but it doesn't work either. Can somebody help me please?

Replies

• Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Ginger tea. You can buy it either in tea bags, or take raw ginger, peel the skin off. chop in pieces, steep in hot water for 3-5 minutes. I add a little sweetener. It does wonders for cramps and upset tummy.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    1-heat (use a microvable heat pack and keep in on your abdomen if possible)
    2-EFA's (essential fatty acids) take all month long if possible
    3-excersize (yoga or pilates are great)...the more you move the better you'll feel
    4-warm liquids (teas, broths, soups)
    5-nettle tisane (tea) the week during TOM (nettle has a high percentage of vitamin K and this helps clotting)
    6-if all else fails take an asprin.
  • Squash97
    Squash97 Posts: 84
    Options
    IB profin - and tylenol together. I've also heard that Rasberry Tea can be very helpful. Women use it before labor and it's been known to help sooth/strengthen the uterine muscles (or something like that). I hope that you feel better soon! Not fun!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Ginger anything. I once ate close to a whole box of ginger altoids, lol! Fresh ginger works best (like the kind they give you with sushi) Also...exercise!! Crunches, run, anything.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Heat always worked for me maybe this stick on heating pad might help you
    http://www.thermacare.com/product/menstrual.aspx
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    oops double post
  • ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When i was in the last stages of labor, i had a hot bath and it made the labor pains subside...

hope it helps!
  • ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i also heard on the tyra show that pickle juice works wonders LOL
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sushi!! :heart: Maybe the ginger suggestion gives me an excuse to get some?? :wink:
    Also, I'm drinking hot Passion Tazo Tea, and it's helping a little. Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I wish Menopause would hurry up!~!!
  • NeNaBeAr
    NeNaBeAr Posts: 13
    Options
    Keep your feet warm,and warm baths I don't know know how the feet works in to it my grandmother suggested it earlier this year when mine were really bad.but it definitly works! and warm baths are nice too, whether you have cramps or not. :smile: Hope This helps!
  • Lithuria
    Lithuria Posts: 132
    Options
    If ice cream has helped before, why not try keeping an ice pack on your abdomen? That is assuming that it was the cold that helped relieve the pains ^_^
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Is this something new or have you always have this proble? Have you ever been checked for fibroids? My periods got more and more painful and heavier and heavier until I was diagnosed with fibroids and had a hysterectomy to control the pain and bleeding!

When I was younger doing some sit-ups would help relieve cramps...probably putting tension on a different muscle group!
  • Blossom01
    Blossom01 Posts: 658
    Options
    In our culture we drink chamomile hot tea for cramps or gasses.

Moreover, applying a heat pad like others have suggested works very well for me. You may make your own. I make mine by adding 2 cups of rice to a long sock and putting it in the microwave for two minutes. Then I place it were it hurts and lay down for a bit. Sometimes I challenge the pain and do cardio.

I hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou:
  • JillMaddox
    Options
    What great suggestions!! Besides the before mentioned Heat, Ginger, Hot Tea..I would add a good natural anti-inflammatory supplement (Something as basic as a turmeric supplement)

For me, I have to add 250 mg of magnesium as well.

at bit off topic......

The turmeric supplement works, much to my dismay, I tried it one day to prove a friend wrong and ended up eating my words.

I was sold 100%. I also now take it for migraines and sinus problems.