NHS Couch to 5K

Options
kbcara
kbcara Posts: 105 Member
I am an overweight but active person doing something at least 5 days a week but I am most definitely not fit. I hate and have always hated running but for some reason have always wanted to be able to run!

Have just started the free NHS podcasts for Couch to 5K and will be completing my third 'run' of Week 1 tomorrow.... so far I'm coping but I recognise it starts easy. I love that someone talks to me, times for me, and tells me when to run/walk, and the music though not great fits the task really well ... early days but highly recommended!

Would love to hear from any new 'friends' who are starting out and have not been great runners previously?

Good luck to all whatever their aim from MFP is.

Replies

• kbcara
    Options
    bump
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I ran in hush school but that was literally ~28 years ago nut just started running again acouple months ago. I was doing a C25K app made by lolo and just started running outside. Running outside is a lot different than on a treadmill, or it is to me at least. Finally did my first 5K today outside which felt great!! Good luck to you and feel free to add me as a friend if you want!!
  • kbcara
    Options
    Well done Hogan - let's hope I make it to the 5K!
  • clairyfairy247
    clairyfairy247 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the C25K tomorrow!
  • Jca67
    Jca67 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi

Tomorrow i will be on Zen Labs wk 6 day2, could`nt do 20 secs when i first started but have done a timed 5k park run which was brilliant. Love running now, cannot believe how quick the body adjusts to exercise. Not saying i find the longer runs easy but im getting there.
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm just like you - have always HATED running, but being able to do it is a big thing for me, and I have also recently started training so I can run the race for life 5k marathon in october.

Will definitely try this poadcasts you mentioned! Didn't know about them, but they sound good!
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I completed week 5 day 3 today where I ran for 20mins non stop! I couldn't run for 2mins before without struggling. Like you I always hated running but liked the idea of effortlessly going for a "nice run". It definitely works/is working. I am using the rundouble app as I prefer that one. I bought brand new running shoes as an incentive to not give up and I found that really worked for me haha. Good luck :)
  • nolongerXXL
    nolongerXXL Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I am on Week 7 Day 2 now.

I have NEVER been a runner, even in school. I would never complete the mile run (or get even close!)

Many years later, a whole lot heavier, I have run a mile several times now and I'm on the verge of breaking the two mile marker. I am not fast, but I'm doing it!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I loved the NHS c25k series. Week 7's music really blows, but at that point you're doing solid running, no intervals, so I just used my own music for the time frame. It was winter while I was using the program, so my running was on a treadmill. I found that while I had been running at 5mph for the intervals, I wasn't able to sustain that speed for the full 25 minutes and would burn out. I wasn't able to run a complete 5k until I dropped my speed to 4.7 mph. Really take to heart what she says: "if you can run any slower, you're running too fast".

Since the weather is nice, I've learned treadmill running and outside running are two different things. Be sure to get some outside running in before you do an actual race. I did my first 5k in May and in August I'm signed up for a quarter marathon (6.55 miles). Good luck with your training.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Hi

Well done on starting - I'm doing a similar programme but with zombie. just on W5 at the moment. Must admit I was never a runner and cant believe I've got this far.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot of miles every week but I've never been a runner. I'm starting week 5 tonight and I'm amazed at how much I'm enjoying it now. I didn't download the podcasts or app, my hubby likes to come along with his stopwatch and play at personal trainer :smile: When I get to running 20 mins continuous I'll start listening to music though. I'm really amazed at how quickly this programme works! The difference from the first session to now is incredible. Even the great British weather hasn't put me off

Really looking forward to running that 5k! :happy:
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! I'm starting week 3 of Run a 3k app, you can play your own playlist. I love it. I have ALWAYS hated any form of exercise, like you, BUT oddly I've always wished to be a runner. I have to say, each week has gotten increasingly easier and I am always hoping to do better than the day before. Do you plan to do anything other than the program? I have yet to motivate myself to do something the other 4 days of the week. :huh:
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Hey : ) I just did W1D1 today
    I started out doing C25K when I started my journey in 2011 (I was about 280lbs and very out of shape)
    I got to week 5 then stopped going to the gym/working out much - so I never got back into it!
    I also battled several knee injuries (wore the wrong shoes running - improper form in exercise)
    So watch your form - stretch - and get good shoes!!!! Even if it costs extra - it is totally worth it - your entire body will thank you

I however did end up getting down to about 210lbs - got pregnant- and now I am working on increasing my cardio once again!!!

Cant wait til graduation in 9 weeks when I Can run 5k nonstop!
  • Sheeshy
    Sheeshy Posts: 133
    Options
    I've never, EVER been a runner. Always hated it, even as a kid. In gym, when we would go to the track to run a mile, I always came in last, I always ended up walking a lot of it. So that's my history. I'm now halfway through week 6 of C25K. Last Friday, I ran 20 minutes without stopping for the first time in my life. So, needless to say, I really like the program! :smile:
    One bit of advice given to me helped me more than anything. When you're starting, run SLOOOOW! Really slow! Barely faster than walking. Build up endurance first, then work on speed. This was from a friend of mine who was overweight and never a runner, and now runs as his only form of exercise and is in great shape. He regulary runs marathons now.
    Enjoy it! I no longer have to force myself out to run, I can't wait to get out there!!
  • kbcara
    Options
    I definitely walk faster than I run haha! It's not about the time for me. It's not even about weight loss as for me that has to be the food. I just want to learn to get past the mental barriers I've had in the past as I've always done above average in other sports [and still regularly compete in team sports].

Great to hear everybody's stories! Thanks for the inspiration - just finished week 1 today but this has convinced me I'll get to the end! Yey us!